It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transition YJA2017

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
“The fabric of the soul is an amazement. Stronger than steel in some ways, in others more delicate than the finest silk. It is something felt more than seen, a flicker of shadow catching the corner of the eye that disappears amidst the scrutiny of direct observation. As though it can only be seen accidentally, perhaps by design.”

“And you have seen them?”

“More than I can remember.”

“And who are you that you possess this extraordinary skill?”

“I am. From the beginning of time to well beyond its end, billions of souls have I seen. Each astounding in it's own way.”

“And you see these souls all the time?”

“They become visible. Sometimes in pieces, ravaged and broken, but I see them all the same.”

“Who could do such a thing to something so pure and beautiful?”

“You. And everyone like you. People.”

“I would never do something so vile. I couldn't.”

“Really? That boy with a limp you teased in your youth? The girl whose love was unrequited? The sickly homeless man you walked by without acknowledging? A thread of each soul shred in those moment's pain.”

“But that was just... It wasn't that bad. Everyone does it...”

“That guilt you feel, the sickness in your stomach, that is also a wound to the soul. Self inflicted, known only to you but damaging none the less.”

“And how do you heal a broken soul? Surely it must be possible.”

“As long as a body draws a breath and a heart beats within, healing is possible. But many are incapable of seeing the beauty of the soul and can not heal wounds what they can not see.”

A wisp of shadow, a swirl of mist caught in the light appeared. It moved and swayed in the air. He extended his hand to the mist that suddenly glowed and became whole as it slowly faded from view.

“I gather the good in the soul to heal the damage done. Sometimes there is enough.”

“And when there isn't?”

“It is a pity. Fragments of light lost to darkness. I try. I always try.”

“And when do you stop trying?”

“When there is no more good with which to heal. Once, long ago, people were so good to each other their was an abundance of good for them to share with their fellow man. No one was lost to darkness when bathed in the light of kindness and compassion and unity. The world has become a darker place. People are more damaged, in need. And goodness, kindness, compassion and unity are seldom found.”

A tiny flicker of motion, a loosely arranged mist barely clinging together appeared.

He extended his hand to the mist. It barely moved to him and seemed to struggle, then dissipated.

“You are fading away. I can barely see you. Where are you going?”

“I am going nowhere...”

The End.

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Hey Vroomfondel!!

That was great, really different!

I love how it was mostly conversation with no description beyond the odd "wisp" here and there.
Very unique and well written. (I think I was nodding when I was reading some of the 'messages'.)
I wish you good luck in the contest.

S&F
jacy

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Thank you. I wanted to try something other than narrative and this popped in to my head so I ran with it. It was pretty much free flow so I am surprised there aren't more spelling and punctuation errors...lol

Good luck to you too!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Well done Vroom!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Truly awesome! Loved it vroom, my favorite one yet! Well, other than personal bias of my own story

Bravissimo!

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

What a well written story Vroom! A real nail clincher!!

s&f

posted on Mar, 2 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyButterfly

Thank you very much. :-)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Beautiful and well-executed. You are an excellent writer, Vroom - keep it up!

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Thank you very much! it is appreciated. :-)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Thank you very much! Kind words indeed. :-)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

That was a good warning

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

“And how do you heal a broken soul? Surely it must be possible.” “As long as a body draws a breath and a heart beats within, healing is possible. But many are incapable of seeing the beauty of the soul and can not heal wounds what they can not see.

There's still hope then.

I loved it.

top topics

join