It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well it COULD be......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I hate playing whackamole when I'm fixing a vehicle.

Lately, my '96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2. L V8 Magnum has been giving me some issues. It has rough idle/chug when I first start it in the morning, but does better when it warms up. It doesn't go completely away, just better. I replaced the IAC [ idle air control ] and there's no difference. I'm planning to replace the coolant temp sensor, since that can have an effect too, but I'm still playing whackamole.
Why am I doing it this way? No codes. No lights. Not one. No "check engine", no nothing.
Now, you'd think if it was a sensor or something like that, I'd get a light. But, no.
And that's what's so frustrating......
Could it be a vacuum hose? Maybe.
Could it be an 02 sensor? Maybe.
Could it be the MAP? Maybe.
Could it be the throttle position sensor? Maybe.
Could the timing be off? Maybe.
It could be one of many things, but with no codes or lights....I'm still playing whackamole.
And, although I haven't brought it up, I am in no financial shape right now to be doing any of this, much less be playing guessing games with parts. It's my only vehicle and I need this thing to be dependable. It hasn't gone down or even indicated that it's going to just die on me, but I'm afraid of this getting worse and then I'm really screwed.

....................and I already thought of the "can of gas and a match" approach. Can't afford the extra gas or a match.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Fuel Filter?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I hate to state the obvious, but I'm assuming you did the standard round of tune up/maintenance stuff?

Plugs
Wires
cap and rotor or coils
air filters
fuel filter (eta from above post)

I've heard some people cure rough idle/surging idle with a fuel injector cleaning(the high pressure at the fuel rail canister type)

ETA: Once you do all that, then I guess your just stuck throwing parts at it.

edit on 27-2-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sigh....
pardon me for just a minute while I go kick myself. The way it was acting, the thought "vacuum hose" kept running through my head, but after checking all those, I was getting stumped. Why, in the name of all that's Holy, I didn't think of the fuel filter, I'll never know.

[ grabs tools runs out the door ]

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

My 2001 Dodge Ram, 318, was doing the same thing.. Replaced the Fuel Filter and all is well..

Hope that is it..

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

You could have water in the fuel filter.

If you removed the filter, blew it out with a little air, let it dry and then put it back you'd be able to eliminate that as a source of the problem.

Or just replace the filter.

edit on 27/2/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Hint..

It is easier to take the bolts off the bed and lift it to get to the gas tank, than try and lower the tank. Especially if you have a full gas tank..

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Plugs Wires cap and rotor or coils

Replaced last Summer. I got the truck several years ago after my Dad died. It had sat for almost 10 years, with my Mom only driving it maybe once a month or to use it to haul stuff around the property. Since then, I've been replacing whatever it needed, whenever it became an issue. I wish I had the money to just do a complete overhaul, but, up till now, it's actually ran just fine.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Good luck man. I was throwing parts at my truck for over a year trying to fix an intermittent check engine light flashing and running horrible. All to no avail...

compression check shows I have dropped compression in 2 cylinders. So with 312000 miles, looks my girl is done

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Good to know.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
You're playing auto-part whack-a-mole but the problem is already obvious to me: It's a Dodge.

Try replacing the truck with a different brand and see if that helps.

Just kidding.

I've been there and done that more than I care to admit. I have a 2000 Silverado that was my dad's before he passed that I've got a little bit of whack-a-mole to play and get it straightened out so it will continue to hold up now that I'm driving it.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The Temperature sensor will do that, some have two sensors, one for the gage and the other for the computer. Also it could be a vaccuum leak. I would look at the hoses and try snugging the throttle body. It could be a plugged fuel filter too, when is the last time you changed that?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It could be a plugged fuel filter too, when is the last time you changed that?

lol... Tomorrow.

My Mom took very good care of it, she has a mechanic that does all her maitenence on her cars, the only thing is, she lost the book she keeps track of all that in, so, I have no idea when it was last replaced.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Since that's an under $20 part, I'll go ahead and replace it. Some of the parts on it are the ones that came from the factory, I've just been changing as needed.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I had a GMC van in the 1990's that was losing power on steep hills, engine roaring, but no power uphill.

GMC dealer replaced the transmission.

It still acted the same way afterwards with a rebuilt transmission installed.

The real problem..... FUEL FILTER was dirty.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Could it be an 02 sensor? Maybe.
I am just stabbing at it with my agreement on the 02 ....good luck

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

You could have water in the fuel filter.
A cup of Methyl Hydrate in the tank would take care of that .

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Ummm...if it were a vacuum leak on a carbureted vehicle...you would get a rough idle...if on a fuel injected...you would get a fast/high idle...Possible EGR valve with carbon buildup...

When was the last tune up...plugs and wire set...?
Have you thought about dirty injectors...?
If not try some Seafoam motor treatment or techron complete...

These are what I would check...starting with the injector cleaners...

Edit to add: O2 sensors rarely actually...go bad...and you'll get an engine light with them...they're usually indicative of another issue...not the sensor itself...
Also...as many others have said...possibly a fuel filter...

YouSir
edit on 27-2-2017 by YouSir because: I just hadsta...

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

A buddy of mine had a similar issue. it was the evap solenoid and a camshaft sensor. Could be the crankshaft position sensor too. Possibly a sticky valve too...that wouldnt show a cel im pretty sure. also might want to clean the maf.

As for the fuel filter, try running 12oz of marvel mystery oil with 5 gallons of gas. Its found at any local auto part store. I swear by the stuff. Been around since ww2. Pilots used to take apart their p51 mustang engines and dunk the components in a 55 gallon drum of the stuff. A day later the parts would be spotless.

good luck dave.

edit on 27-2-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I wanted to fix something about this thread that I see quite often on car forums, that irritates the living crap outta me...The Solution.
You go to a car forum and read about someone having the same problems you're having and, like all the kind folks who helped me, people give advice on what/how to fix that problem, but you never see the poster come back and tell what turned out to be the source of the problem.

In my case, it turned out to be the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor. Now, even though my "check engine" light never came on, there is a way to see what's wrong using that little light. In my 96 Ram, you simply turn the key to on, off, on, off, then leave it on. Now I Do Not mean start the vehicle, just turn the key to on. This will make the check engine light flash in a certain way that you can interpret, depending on the car. Mine flashed 2 times, then paused, then 4 more times, meaning "code 24", which was [ after checking Google for the codes ] the throttle position sensor.
On the bright side, I did get my fuel filter clean, plugs, wires and vacuum hoses checked and saved A Lot of money doing it myself. Car mechanics charge $100 an hour, even if it's a $20 part that went bad and it only takes them 5 minutes to replace it, you're still looking at $120.
So, for anyone who has the same problem and wanted to know what it could be on your car, it was the TPS.

new topics

top topics

join