It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Common Sense

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
What spurred me to write this thread and place is here is the current thread asking if Trump should decriminalize drugs.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It brought to mind seatbelt laws.

Common sense would dictate that your chances of surviving a car crash would improve if you're wearing a seatbelt.

Common sense would also dictate that if you did do drugs, you run the chance of becoming addicted and causing yourself harm.

But in both cases, the person you are harming is just yourself.

(For the nitpickers, yes, peripherally you may end up harming others using Rube-Goldberg logic)

Yet somehow, we have allowed our government to legislate common sense. Which is more frightening than a herpes rash on your prom date.

We need to take back common sense. We need to remove it from the hands of government.

We have allowed government to legislate common sense and also allowed them to punish us if we use our own judgment rather than theirs.

We have allowed government to dictate and over-rule our own judgment on matters that only involve ourselves.

Is this the world we want to live in where government legislates that we shouldn't run with scissors or swim right after eating or even wearing white after Labor Day?

We're getting there and regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum, this should concern everyone that values independence and individuality.

Thank you for your time.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I-N-B-R-E-E-D-I-N-G

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Star and flag. That's the kind of common sense that made me willing to vote Republican for the first time in my life when Dr. Paul was still in the running.

I don't even partake and comfortably follow all laws just by common sense default but... what if I didn't? Should I be thrown in prison for it? Hell no.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Hey DB how you doing m8.

Im not entirely sure though, are you saying drugs should be legal for everyone and for all to use common sense in their use? I dont think that would be a great idea tbh. Drugs like herione and crack etc. People do not just harm themselves using that but also others in enraged fits of craze while under the influence or while driving or doing whatever. It would also be insanely common for other people to get addicted because of the users, misery loves company and all you know.

I dont think keeping that sort of drugs out of criminality will actually lower criminality. Soft drugs is a different story though.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

In Michigan it was promised that the police would NEVER be able to pull you over for not wearing a seat belt, it would only be a secondary infraction.

Guess what happened, it is a reason to pull you over and ticket you $$$$. The govt has a tendency to lie, cheap ans steal.

And yes we should not allow the govt to try and instill common sense.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Is this the world we want to live in where government legislates that we shouldn't run with scissors or swim right after eating or even wearing white after Labor Day?

I rode my bike without a government-mandated safety helmet and I obviously did not suffer any ill effects.

link   
At last!...A common sense thread about a common sense topic.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
At last!...A common sense thread about a common sense topic.

House of Paine.

link   

At the current drug related death rate folks found selling should get shot..... as if they were waving a gun around at cops and the public.

link   

Its like certain hazardous chemicals that you can't just buy without some sort of permit or explosives or medicine. Should we just bank on the average human to use their common sense and let them have aces to it ? Naaah, bad things WILL happen because of it.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I am fine with that once we get back to letting people absorb the full impact of their choices.

In other words, I don't want to subsidize someone's lack of common sense. If you do drugs and get hooked, I don't think the social safety net is for you. Society shouldn't have an interest in enabling your bad behavior, not even peripherally.

And during the days when things like laudanum and co caine were legal, there was no social safety net to speak of. In those days, if you were hooked, you suffered the full consequences of your poor choices. Today, not so much. You like her oine? Well, it's cruel to let you die from that if you OD or to let you risk getting AIDS, so there are all kinds of programs to insulate someone from those risks.

Why?

As you say, stop legislating common sense. If people want to take those risks, they need to realize the full risk.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Interesting point, but we both know that the numbers of alcohol-related deaths are high also.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I do harm to myself every time you make a thread.

It's so God Damn sensible, no one appreciates it. Well, Augustusmasonicus is a different beast, he can't recognise your faults, it's scary.

edit on 19/2/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: Text ffs

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
We should continue to leave common sense issues like this to 'The Court of Darwin'.
What's next?---Is driving nails into 2x4s, using your forehead going to become illegal?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

We should continue to leave common sense issues like this to 'The Court of Darwin'.
What's next?---Is driving nails into 2x4s, using your forehead going to become illegal?

They are working their way through the schools and contact sports right now.

So far, they are trying to outlaw football, and I just heard that the first study was done showing that soccer players suffer from head trauma-related dimensia, so I guess neither football is safe and we better ban them. They don't let kids play dodgeball or tag because they are too aggressive, and there are actual clinics and camps parents in some places pay for so their kids can unstructured free play. So I guess that's been outlawed for safety's sake too. Kids can't walk outside on their own ...

Yep, I'd say they're rapidly working up to making parenting illegal.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

At the current drug related death rate folks found selling should get shot..... as if they were waving a gun around at cops and the public.

Are you talking about shooting pharmacists?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I rode my bike without a government-mandated safety helmet and I obviously did not suffer any ill effects.

It's time for your tapioca and diaper change, Augustus.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Government or not, look around, there isn't much common sense to begin with mate.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

It's time for your tapioca and diaper change, Augustus.

Use the good lotion, I don't want to chafe.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Government or not, look around, there isn't much common sense to begin with mate.

Why tell the truth now? Why not 100 years ago?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join