It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of Common Sense

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: everyone
a reply to: DBCowboy

I think the difference between suicide and drugs (hard drugs) is that drugs is often epidemic in many ways. It will even introduce crime if made legal. People who use hard drugs will stop functioning well enough physically and socially, lose their jobs but the need for their drugs remains. They infect others with it and most easily the young. They stop taking care of themselves and their environment which also affects others and they even stop taking care of their children. No one can put the responsibility of common sense on young children who's parent chose to use hard drugs. It is not as if just because it became legal that their will all of a sudden be responsible crack junkies.

Should parents drink or smoke?

If they do have a smoke or a drink every now and then would that be the same as being on heroine?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Now you're using common sense! Just like regular common sense tells us that the guy that likes to snort a couple of lines of coke once or twice a month does far more damage to society than a heavy drinking alcoholic does. That's why one is legal and the other isn not.
edit on 19-2-2017 by Arizonaguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There are so many different kinds of drugs. Bath salts make people eat other people's faces. So that I can understand. But harmless plants that are just growing naturally? That's not remotely the same thing, nor is it the government's business.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Logarock

At the current drug related death rate folks found selling should get shot..... as if they were waving a gun around at cops and the public.

Are you talking about shooting pharmacists?

yes...I was thinking the same thing....."common sense" and "science" tells you, if you use doctor prescribed pain-killers long enough, you will become addicted, and harm will result to you and possibly others....."common sense" and "science" tells you, if you smoke a joint after work and stay at home in the evening, you will not become addicted and cause harm to you or others.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

It's difficult to be objective when this is obviously so personal.

Would it help if the money spent on the legal aspect was better spent on education and treatment?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I think the difference between suicide and drugs (hard drugs) is that drugs is often epidemic in many ways. It will even introduce crime if made legal. People who use hard drugs will stop functioning well enough physically and socially, lose their jobs but the need for their drugs remains. They infect others with it and most easily the young. They stop taking care of themselves and their environment which also affects others and they even stop taking care of their children. No one can put the responsibility of common sense on young children who's parent chose to use hard drugs. It is not as if just because it became legal that their will all of a sudden be responsible crack junkies.

If they do have a smoke or a drink every now and then would that be the same as being on heroine?

I'll concede the point and say, "No".

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MoreInterior
There are so many different kinds of drugs. Bath salts make people eat other people's faces. .

Your cultural and implicit biases are showing. Long pig is acceptable in some cultures.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It's difficult to be objective when this is obviously so personal.

Would it help if the money spent on the legal aspect was better spent on education and treatment?

Honestly, no.
My experience with this shows treatment really doesn't work where heroin is concerned. It works temporarily...but they almost always go back.

Education?---They already know it's wrong and dangerous...but it doesn't matter. What matters is the fix...nothing else.

I don't care about pot...but Heroin and crack needs to go.

DB---It is so damn easy for kids to get it EVERYWHERE...even it the most affluent of neighborhoods.

The crap needs to be cut off at the source...and those scumbags who push it on children need to know that if they sell poison to a kid who uses it and dies...then they are guilty of murder.

EDIT:
As to monies spent on the legal aspect?
Lawyers and court costs...to keep a generally good 23 yr. old kid from getting BF'd in prison!
I'd spend it again...and probably will.

edit on 19-2-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
a reply to: everyone

Now you're using common sense!

Im sorry !11

Just like regular common sense tells us that the guy that likes to snort a couple of lines of coke once or twice a month does far more damage to society than a heavy drinking alcoholic does. That's why one is legal and the other isn not.

Playing devils advocate a bit, A Cocaine addiction takes about as much time to take hold as a alcohol addiction depending on how often it is used initially but the same goes for alcohol so that got me thinking for a minute but imo it is much more destructive so yes i also agree on coc aine staying illegal.

Alcohol can be bad enough if abused but truth be told the majority of us have enough common sense to be able to handle it. Myself i rarely drink but i do on occasions and from what i see around me that is how most people handle it. Some more regularly then other but well within its limits. Some even drink 1 glass of wine each day because their doctor told them so , good for the heart and vains and all (i still think once a day is to much for that btw)

Cannabis , same story actually. Dont fall for the myth that it cant do no harm. It is true though that i cannot become a physical addiction but it can become a mental addiction which can be just as bad and it can impair you physically and socially just as much if used every day and all day which some people do. Much like with alcohol imo.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I'll concede the point and say, "No".

Because our common sense tells us so

Legalizing drugs like that will not solve even the crime problem surrounding it or the social problems. I think we all know if we legalize something like that and go like "What could possibly go wrong !" , well i think you get the idea.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

Obituary of Common Sense !

Today, we mourn the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the Millennium. No one really knows how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools; hospitals, homes, factories and offices, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.

For decades, petty rules, silly laws and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in from rain, the early bird gets the worm and life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including feminism, body piercing, whole language and new math.

But his health declined when he became infected with the "if-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades, his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal legislation.

He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers and enlightened auditors. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero tolerance policies; when reports were heard of six year old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; when a teen was suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch; when a teacher was fired for reprimanding an unruly student. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but couldn't inform the parent when a female student is pregnant or wants an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional sports.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments, regarding questionable regulations for asbestos, low-flow toilets, smart guns, the nurturing of Prohibition Laws and mandatory air bags.

Finally, when told that the homeowners association restricted exterior furniture only to that which enhanced property values, he breathed his last.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son Reason. His three stepbrothers survive him: Rights, Tolerance and Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Author Unknown

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I will concede the point that heroin has no benefit.

Common sense should dictate that there is nothing positive with heroin.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
We have too many laws. Adults should be able to do just about anything as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I think all drugs should be legal but driving under the influence should not be.

I don't believe that adults should be required to wear seat belts or safety gear (outside of work) but when it comes to children I do believe in common sense laws for kids. We can't stop people from having children but we can compensate for idiots with no common sense having bred. Yes that's on the authoritarian side, I don't care.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Some interesting points have been raised.

If I caveat that individuals should be responsible for themselves, and that common sense would dictate and not government legislation, then what about these horrible drugs?

Is my premise wrong?

Am I wrong?

Do we actually "need" the government to step in and legislate what we put into our bodies that is our ultimate choice?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Some interesting points have been raised.

If I caveat that individuals should be responsible for themselves, and that common sense would dictate and not government legislation, then what about these horrible drugs?

Is my premise wrong?

Am I wrong?

Do we actually "need" the government to step in and legislate what we put into our bodies that is our ultimate choice?

In my opinion to a degree yes. The degree that we already have i would say. Some drugs are simply to hard to handle. Its like formula 1 cars. They are not street legal for that very same reason. They are too hard to handle and have the potential of going so fast that any mishap with it is bound to have huge consequences, if that makes sense.

Maybe except for tobacco. Either stop demonizing and banning it everywhere or simply ban it altogether, i don't see the sense in what they are doing with it now.

Edit: i dont think you are inherently wrong but i do think it is wrong to simply say all drugs should be legal. A balance in it like we have is to me the common sense.

Their is no common sense to speak of with junkies once they are hooked on hard drugs so how can me expect them to handle it with common sense?
edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoSun, 19 Feb 2017 18:42:53 -06001720172America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

maybe we can bring our troops back from guarding the heroine poppy fields of Afghanistan, or at least have them guard their own fellow soldiers while over there.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
In all seriousness if you look at these laws that we question you will find the insurance industry behind a lot of them. The government hasn't stepped in to save us from ourselves. The government has stepped in so rich people can make even more money. I don't have anything against people making unseemly amounts of money but when they need the government's help to do it and it affects my day-to-day living in Freedom then I do have an issue with that. Like most problems our nation faces, you could directly tie it back to people that are using the government to make money for themselves at our cost. I know that I come across as a little bit conservative sometimes, but the truth is that I'm well aware that big Industries play with the legislature so they can get laws passed to help them make even more money. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. When it harms the average citizen then it's not. If we were really talking about common sense then we would be talking about doing away with the entire lobbying industry.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

maybe we can bring our troops back from guarding the heroine poppy fields of Afghanistan, or at least have them guard their own fellow soldiers while over there.

Maybe we should burn the poppy fields to ash.
Heroin has killed exponentially more Americans than the Taliban!

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Your premise would be correct if common sense was actually common. Imo it's kind of objective and relative to your conditions, culture and circumstances.

If you live in a crime ridden neighborhood it's probably common sense to lock your door, but if you live in a gated community, common sense might not dictate you to.

As for the drugs, that's more of a grey area and has so many different variables. Common sense would dictate a normal person to stay away from poison, but a person already poisoned will have different senses. So in this case I'm not too sure which is the right way to deal with it.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: jimmyx

Maybe we should burn the poppy fields to ash.
Heroin has killed exponentially more Americans than the Taliban!

Maybe we should re-invade Afghanistan because of this secret Muslim plan to poison our youth with heroin?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join