It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It may be possible to influence autonomic nervous system and immune response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Have you heard of Mind over Matter, or the mystical power of ancient yogi? Well, it turns out it is not so mystical and its not so much far from the western lifestyle. A guy named Hof provides sufficient evidence for disbelievers to drink less and practice more. Breath-Cold-Mind is his way and he tuned to be one of a hard stone for cracking. What will say, if I propose to you - climb everest in shorts!

Wim Hof is well known for his remarkable activities in extremely low temperatures. Hof claims that he can influence his autonomic nervous system and thereby suppress his immune response through concentration and meditation.

To investigate this, Hof was administered endotoxin while practising his concentration and meditation technique. During this experiment, various measurements were performed, including brain activity, autonomic nervous system activity and inflammatory mediators in the blood.

Pickkers said: "After endotoxin administration, the increase of the stress hormone cortisol in Hof was much more pronounced compared to other healthy volunteers. We know that this hormone is released in response to increased autonomic nervous system activity and that it suppresses the immune response. In accordance, the levels of inflammatory mediators in Hof's blood were much lower. On average, Hof's immune response was decreased by 50 percent compared to other healthy volunteers. In addition, hardly any flu-like symptoms were observed. These results are definitely remarkable.Source

Science can be lab scam, so why we just go to the field...(visit source below for visual imput)

When Wim was younger he did a lot of soul searching. He says, “I travelled the world studying everything from Karate and Kung Fu to Yoga and Buddhism. But nothing quite fulfilled me”. So with an understanding of Tummo meditation (a Tibetan Buddhist meditation practice) and Pranayama yogic breathing he created his own, more powerful, technique. Perhaps the best way to describe this for anyone who’s never seen it is a controlled form of hyperventilation. This sounds completely contradictory since hyperventilation happens involuntarily and is far from controlled. But imagine the sheer oxygenation blood and cells without the panic or stress. Wim says, “You become charged. Carbon dioxide goes out. Oxygen comes in. The body becomes oxygenated. PH levels goes up. At a certain point you’re so fully charged, you change the chemistry in your body.”Source

You would like more professional report? Here, matey:

Yes, the study at hand confirms that the long-held theory that both, the autonomic nervous system and innate immune system, cannot be voluntarily influenced must be considered disproven - the "Wim Hof Method", of which the authors of the present paper highlight that it consists of techniques that can be "learned in a short-term training program" (Kox. 2014) seems to do what scientists have long considered impossible: it allows people like you and me to directly influence their sympathetic nervous system and immune system in a way that triggers highly pronounced increases in the stress hormone epinephrine and down-stream immune effects in form of increases of the production of anti-inflammatory mediators and a subsequent dampening of the proinflammatory cytokine response to an (albeit artificial) immune challenge with bacterial endotoxin.Source

You are exited, ye. But wait, wait... don't rush to immerse yourself in the snow and start inhaling the night butterflies. Finish yor whisky first

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This topics always remind me of Nicholas Roerich

This is Hof and a student:

edit on 19-2-2017 by Argentbenign because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Argentbenign

I couldn't agree more with these principals, but we have to keep in mind that a good portion of readers may e asking their doctor's what is right for them, or catching your OP while waiting in line for a flu shot. With this in mind, Hof would essentially have to prove himself to be the Almighty God himself before general census concedes to the realities that mind over matter is the best medicine ever offered.

Why does it have to be limited to physical health? The mind sets the tone for environment to operate in. I am not sad or unhappy today, because I immediately told my mind that I am thankful for what I keep close. It's tough to get upset when I think of that feeling, so it essentially disappears. I prefer crazy while others strive for normalcy though...

Thanks for the cool thread, and for being compatible to my crazy sanity.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It is possible to sometimes get some temporary control over things with the mind. A positive attitude can do wonders.

I would say choosing the right food chemistry would be way more appropriate for stimulating the immune system. Some foods buffer immune response and some boost immune response. The thing is if you constantly boost immune response with diet, eventually you can get autoimmune issues or also you might deplete your bodies immune chemicals and then wind up more apt to get sick. Moderation and consuming the proper food at the proper time is important. You do not eat medicinal chicken soup when you are not sick or the risk of getting sick is small. You can make chicken soup that is not medicinal too, I make both kinds.

I think meditation and breathing is better for stuff like stress and stress chemicals can have an influence on the immune system so I cannot say that it is untrue nor can I say it is true. If it works for you, then go for it. Prayer does the same thing.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
However...The vessel is designed as autonomous for a reason. You - whatever you is - are not even able to understand how it works. (Not to speak about conscious evolution.)
It is not beneficial so it won't obey you in most cases. If you had to be conscious of every bodily function you wouldn't be able to live at all.
One example to consider when trying to hack into various systems of the body: Once you find how to supress the erection in inappropriate situations you may train the ability so well that at some point you'll develop an erectile dysfunction. The mind can cause problems.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Yes designed to get us super close to everything, while never getting there.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Ummm...I would be personally extremely cautious of pushing any buttons in the autonomous nervous system...

I only give instruction from experience...if I may...

These interactions are very delicately balanced...they are designed to self run...once you begin to alter their programming...inconsistencies develop...

Did you know how easy it is to influence the proper function of heart rate...respiration...sleep and wake cycles...pain or pleasure association...even life and it's twin death...?

Did you know how easy it is to adversely affect one or combinations of function...?

I hope you also realize...that it is also possible to interrupt their smooth functioning to the extent that the autonomic command pathways no longer function smoothly...but become erratic and out of synchronization...

I.E. for a duration until such pathways are restored...these functions can no longer be autonomic and instead must be consciously controlled until new pathways are visualized and initialized...

Life houses the body frame frailly...when you find the doorway...in...you also find the threshold...out...

I would caution you to not step lightly down that particular road...

Still...if you must then the way is easiest achieved...through purity and all that entails...through casting aside any form of doubt or negativity...through "The Bridal Chamber"...which is to say Kundalini...which is to say void meditation...all in the none so gentle grasp of visualization...

I'll leave you with my own personal Koan...........................Visualize the void...

YouSir
edit on 19-2-2017 by YouSir because: of an innate need...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Weird I just posted a thread about Wim Hof in this very forum two days ago.
It seems to be a recent hot topic about a very cool guy.

Linky: Inside the Super Human World of the Ice Man

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

I would be personally extremely cautious of pushing any buttons in the autonomous nervous system...

I am also supporting reason in every action, especially when it comes to natural/unnatural medicine or other speculative field concernign health

originally posted by: SolAquarius
Weird I just posted a thread about Wim Hof in this very forum two days ago.
It seems to be a recent hot topic about a very cool guy.

Linky: Inside the Super Human World of the Ice Man

There is some nasty conspiracy happening then. Its should be involved the masons or the aliens, but which of them I am not sure!

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign
It may be possible to influence autonomic nervous system and immune response

Possible?
Yogis have been demonstrating that for millennia! *__-

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
On the other hand, being conscious, happy, dynamic and in tune with the body isn't wrong. It's called sport. And sex.
Most of us are out of balance anyway.

A few days ago I found out I was using wrong adaptogenic herbs with too much phytoestrogens like siberian Ginseng. Estrogen is everywhere. It's ok but not when plastics work like this...
So I discovered the Pine tree. Pycnogenol is restoring testosterone levels and makes you insensitive to cold.
Now tell me about coincidence. We share some collective consciousness or something. I'm not sure if I like it (lol)

join