It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Considers Bill To Protect Drivers Who Hit Protesters

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Black_Fox

If you are attacking someone then you are no longer protesting, you are rioting.

Who would've thought it was that simple.

It's the new trend. Shut down any/all forms of Consitutionally protected rights by using propoganda buzzwords like "violent protestors," and lumping ALL forms of protests into a violent one.

Kind of like how conservatives whine and bitch about how someone is coming for their guns, this is someone coming for your 1st.

You want to protest?

Your fellow Americans will be along shortly to run you down.

Yeah, there's your sign that nobody else cares about your problems.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

a reply to: LSU0408

Driving isn't even a right.

Neither is blocking traffic.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I wasn't aware there was such passion in regards to protecting peoples 'right' to block public roadways.

Next we'll get protestors trying to impede police and emergency vehicles and people will defend them saying "You have to inconvenience people to get your point across."

Hmm I suppose that's true, if your point is so baseless that you have to scream like a child in the street for anyone to listen.

edit on 2017-02-14T12:40:15-06:002017Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:40:15 -0600v000000152017-02-14T12:40:15-06:002017Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:40:15 -0600Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:40:15 -0600 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

a reply to: Black_Fox

If you weren't stuck in the traffic jam that protest caused, then you didn't answer my question. And seeing how there is no traffic on the street there, I'm guessing you weren't involved.

It doesn't matter if he was there or not. The point is that interstates DO get blocked. Too bad they didn't inconvenience anyone, eh?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

Well said.

And it's already happened.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

a reply to: Mandroid7

Tell that to the folks who are vehemently in support of running people over in the streets.

They seem to have missed the point entirely and have resorted to identity politics and personal attacks to save face.

People shouldn't block roadways. People shouldn't run people over, either.

Revolutionary concepts. Only in the year 2017 do we have discussions about the morality of potentially killing protestors who are in the road lol...

I haven't seen anything but reading comprehension issues.

This isn't an affront to peoples right to protest.

It is to protect people.

If you have ever been attacked, stabbed, or shot, you lose your tolerance for stupid people that want to cause you harm.

Down here in FL you get all kinds of wackos.

Turn your car wrong, look at them too long, or whatever dumb thing triggers them, they will attack.

I have already put the "runover" order with my girlfriend before this legislation was put into effect.

link   

Always trying to make false equivalences.

This is NOT a partisan issue. Some folks are so blinded (willfully) by their state-issued and sponsored partisan ideology that's literally all they can see.

As I've stated MULTIPLE times (but continue to ignore it for partisan brownie points) I do not support violent protests.

I also DO NOT support running protestors over.

How hard is it to see that there is wrong on BOTH sides of this aisle?

It is times like these I'm incredibly grateful I don't abide by partisan BS. The mental gymnastics is takes is too much for me to deal with. I'm so sick and tired of BOTH R's AND D's acting like their side is the epitomization of innocence and grace whilst the other side is evil, racist, are Nazi's, or whatever.

To be honest and frank with you, it's your emotional burden that only allows you to see this entire dynamic in black and white. It's far from that, but you keep painting your rhetoric with such large strokes.

You say you are against the partisan BS from both sides while being part of that problem. Why are you all of a sudden taking the moral high ground now? I see the same partisan rhetoric from you all the time.

link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
I wasn't aware there was such passion in regards to protecting peoples 'right' to block public roadways.

Next we'll get protestors trying to impede police and emergency vehicles and people will defend them saying "You have to inconvenience people to get your point across."

Hmm I suppose that's true, if your point is so baseless that you have to scream like a child in the street for anyone to listen.

In many cases they already are. Plenty of videos out there of protesters/rioters in America blocking and attacking police cars, ambulances and fire engines.

One time it was a school bus.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So, I pull up to a group moving into the street "protesting". I will not punch it and run them over. I look in my rearview mirror to see the traffic piling up behind me. Now I can't turn around. Do I sit there for however long while I have my wife and baby girl in the vehicle while people are shouting God knows what? Next thing I know, someone starts banging on the hood of my vehicle, or bouncing on the bumpers. Not knowing where this will lead, don't think I'm not going to just sit there and let them "Peacefully" bounce or pound on my vehicle, and scare my wife and child. All I can say is somebody is going to be a road sandwich if it comes to that. Protest? Fine, but get in traffic and doing it, probably won't end well. What about emergency vehicles? Someone fighting for their life in the back of an ambulance? It's just not right, Protesters need to stay off of main roads.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't see a problem with this bill, it states people have the right to protest but that does not give them the right to block traffic. I have seen a protest where the people were disrupting traffic many years ago and they whacked their signs on the cars as they tried to get through the crowd. I haven't been to a protest since then, that was thirty some years ago. The people in those cars were not doing anything wrong. They were trying to get to where they wanted to go. The whole protest wound up being a gripe that someone had with a business, the ones organizing it had sour grapes.

Protesting is about inconveniencing other people. You don't get your message across when you aren't inconveniencing someone so yes blocking a road way is still fair game.

Gotcha. So you can inconvenience me but I can't inconvenience you. Let that double standard shine bright.

That's what happens when you protest. You aim to inconvenience. If you weren't aware of that, then that is on you. You can always choose to travel a different route and take a detour to your destination. It's much better than running over people with a car because you were scared they were going to attack you.

Yeah truthfully I wasn't aware that inconveniencing people was the only reason for protest. I thought the only point was to look stupid and make even more people hate your message.

Well, anyways, you can also choose to stay out of the road when you want to inconvenience someone who hasn't done anything to you and might even agree with your message. That's pretty selfish.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Staying on the sidewalk isn't exactly easy when the protest is too big.

FYI: These protests are a reaction to Trump and co pushing and poking at the system we like and don't want torn to the ground.

Right, Krazy. I get it. You guys didn't get what you wanted and this is how you deal with it. You want to make everyone around you miserable because you have to suffer.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Protest on a lawn or sidewalk.
You have the absolute right to protest, just not where ever you want to.

Regardless, we shouldn't be rewarding people for being careless with a multi-ton vehicle.

You people push and poke and get violent with people because you don't like their views and then # hits the fan and y'all kick and scream to high Heaven when someone pushes back. Just stay outta the road, your parents should have taught you that when you were old enough to comprehend words. Damn.

More personal insults.

Again - typical.

Kind of like how people pulled the moral crusader card and got all butthurt when a self-proclaimed white supremacist got punched in the mouth?

Keep up the personal insults, it's telling.

Well man, if you took that as a personal insult then you must be guilty of it. I don't know anyone who would care about a white supremacist getting punched. Was he really a white supremacist, or was a white supremacist by your standards?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Good for Tennessee

If protesters block traffic and protest in the roads like idiots the driver shouldn't be charged with a crime.

Funny how people just assume the left are the only protesters or maybe they're just dumb enough or arrogant in their belief to stand in the road and think nothing bad will happen

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: angryproctologist

The left was screaming that driving is a right when it came to the illegal aliens in CA.

Just like voting without an ID even though voting, too, is a privilege... Voter ID laws inconvenience old people and minorities so they should be banished. But protesting when you don't get your way is a right, and you must inconvenience people to get your point across.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: coop039

Has that actually happened to you? Or are you just referencing Youtube videos?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Staying on the sidewalk isn't exactly easy when the protest is too big.

FYI: These protests are a reaction to Trump and co pushing and poking at the system we like and don't want torn to the ground.

Right, Krazy. I get it. You guys didn't get what you wanted and this is how you deal with it. You want to make everyone around you miserable because you have to suffer.

Welcome to the realities of protesting.

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

39-17-307. Obstructing highway or other passageway.

(a)  A person commits an offense who, without legal privilege, intentionally, knowingly or recklessly:

(1)  Obstructs a highway, street, sidewalk, railway, waterway, elevator, aisle, or hallway to which the public, or a substantial portion of the public, has access; or any other place used for the passage of persons, vehicles or conveyances, whether the obstruction arises from the person's acts alone or from the person's acts and the acts of others; or

But it's muh right!!!

No it's not.

link

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Just because the street is blocked doesn't give you the right to run over whatever is in front of you. It's like you guys have lost your humanity. How can you be celebrating running someone over with a car?
edit on 14-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

(a)  A person commits an offense who, without legal privilege, intentionally, knowingly or recklessly:

(1)  Obstructs a highway, street, sidewalk, railway, waterway, elevator, aisle, or hallway to which the public, or a substantial portion of the public, has access; or any other place used for the passage of persons, vehicles or conveyances, whether the obstruction arises from the person's acts alone or from the person's acts and the acts of others; or

But it's muh right!!!

No it's not.

link

Ok. So you are going to go out and arrest all the protesters blocking a street because the law said so?

posted on Feb, 14 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

But it's muh right!!!

No it's not.

link

Ok. So you are going to go out and arrest all the protesters blocking a street because the law said so?

There were people (including you) claiming that protests that block roads are part of their first amendment rights.

Just making it clear that claim is false.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join