It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennessee Considers Bill To Protect Drivers Who Hit Protesters

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Another thing I would like to add and personally just found out about:

A Republican state lawmaker who was an outspoken supporter of President-elect Donald Trump is proposing a bill that would allow authorities to charge protesters with committing "economic terrorism."

“I respect the right to protest, but when it endangers people’s lives and property, it goes too far,” Washington state Sen. Doug Ericksen said in a statement. “Fear, intimidation and vandalism are not a legitimate form of political expression. Those who employ it must be called to account.

“We are not just going after the people who commit these acts of terrorism,” he added. “We are going after the people who fund them. Wealthy donors should not feel safe in disrupting middle-class jobs.”

The proposed bill would make protesting a class C felony should it cause any sort of "economic disruption" or "jeopardize human life and property." Such a proposal would mean violators could face five years in prison, a $10,000 fine or both.

The Hill

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: TrueBrit

Plus driving is a privilege, not a right. And protesting IS a right. Right trumps privilege ANY day.

Wrong. We have the RIGHT to travel freely and unencumbered. It is a fundamental constitutional right. I say run the dumbasses over, didnt their parents teach them not to play in the road?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't see a problem with this bill, it states people have the right to protest but that does not give them the right to block traffic. I have seen a protest where the people were disrupting traffic many years ago and they whacked their signs on the cars as they tried to get through the crowd. I haven't been to a protest since then, that was thirty some years ago. The people in those cars were not doing anything wrong. They were trying to get to where they wanted to go. The whole protest wound up being a gripe that someone had with a business, the ones organizing it had sour grapes.

Protesting is about inconveniencing other people. You don't get your message across when you aren't inconveniencing someone so yes blocking a road way is still fair game.

No it's actually not fair game unless you are looking to get arrested, because that is illegal. And for good reason.

What about that ambulance that has a patient in a life threatening situation needing to get to the hospital as soon as possible? What about the struggling single mother on her way to work that has no more attendance points left because she has a sickly child? Now she's going to get fired because "protesters" made her late.

I can make a huge list of real life scenarios like these but I think you get the point. Do you consider these mere inconveniences?

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Humm.... Let's see...

Scenario # 1: A driver, either by himself or with his/her family, finds a group of protesters about 20 feet in front of his/her car and notices how groups of protesters are getting violent and start attacking cars in front of the driver. Said driver starts getting anxious and afraid as the "protesters" are getting violent attacking cars, dragging people off their cars and beating drivers and passengers to a pulp.

Should said driver, either alone or with his/her family just think: "Gee, I better let these morons destroy my car and beat me to an inch of my life otherwise the snowflakes and their media will portray me as a racist, and violent person".... Or, should said driver realize he/she and his/her family are most probably next in line and try to get away even if said driver has to hit some "rioters"?

Scenario # 2: A driver with his/her girl friend/wife/husband in the car sees a group of "peaceful" protesters not too far from the car, but said driver doesn't see the "peaceful protesters" getting violent. You think the driver is going to turn to his/her wife/husband/girl friend/boyfriend and say: "Gee honey, Let's go bowling"!!?...

Most people are not going to run over "peaceful protesters". But if they see "violent rioters" attack people and destroy their cars, and sees "violent protesters" drag people off their cars and beat them to a pulp, you actually think these people should allow themselves to be beaten and possibly even killed?...

Should "violent protesters" who were violent against other people be able to sue drivers who simply don't want to be the next victim of the violent mob?...

edit on 15-2-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If a person is protesting, they are exercising their constitutional rights. Their right to engage in protest, predates the existence of roads, highways, transport of any kind other than by horse, horse and coach, train, or on foot. Therefore, since their right to protest has existed for longer than the automobile, the automobile will have to just shut the hell up and wait, or turn the hell around.

You do know there is a difference between "peaceful protestors" and "violent rioters"?...

Have you seen what some of these "protestors" you want to defend have done?...

Here are some of those "protesters" you want to defend.

Or what about this?...

I don't care if you are white, black, hispanic, chinese, japanese, or whatever. If you are a violent rioter attacking people in their cars, dragging people off their cars/trucks and beating people, you think I, or anyone else should allow these morons to make me their next victim?...

There is a "huge" difference between peaceful protesters, and violent protesters. You want to protest, cool, but don't block people either who are trying to get to their jobs, or they are trying to get to the store to buy food, or are picking up their children from school. You can protest without forcing people to be part of your protest, and without being violent.

Should violent protesters be able to sue drivers because they don't want to be "the next victim"?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

So tell me how the police are supposed to arrest all those people in the street.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse
Contrary to the story on the right, MOST protests don't devolve into riots.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

So tell me how the police are supposed to arrest all those people in the street.

Mass arrests. Get a load of vans. It's been done before.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Easier said than done and not every police precinct is equipped with that. Plus if you started arresting protesters for protesting in the streets, you'd just make them madder, lose respect for the police, and thus more likely to riot.

You may want to think up a better way to disperse protesters than getting them on a technicality of not being able to block a street. It really looks like you are fishing to infringe someone's right to protest instead.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Easier said than done and not every police precinct is equipped with that. Plus if you started arresting protesters for protesting in the streets, you'd just make them madder, lose respect for the police, and thus more likely to riot.

You may want to think up a better way to disperse protesters than getting them on a technicality of not being able to block a street. It really looks like you are fishing to infringe someone's right to protest instead.

So, your suggesting what? Lets allow people to RIOT cause it really looks fishy on rights?

I can only understand your position if it was because A) you ARE a real PAID troll. B) You are somehow wanting people to choose to believe the EXACT opposite of your position. I guess it is so completely psychotic to keep doing this otherwise.

Either something financial in it, or wanting the narrative you infer here on ATS to be so ridiculous that most sane people have little choice but to lean the opposite of your post.... Just repeating your own words here with those questions. Keep on being that moniker that you chose to use.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Riiight...they just call for the death of white people, police officers and anyone who dares differ with far left-wing ideology...

BTW, plenty of "left-wing protests" have turn into riots, more so now that Trump is President.

All you have to do is go to youtube and type "protests turn riot against Trump"

The violence has been all over the U.S., and quite frequently but you want to claim differently?...

edit on 16-2-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: correct link.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

The myth of the "peaceful" American left.

Kind of like the "moderate" Syrian opposition.

People just repeating the same lie over and over again despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Mad world.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Care to explain to me why these degenerates you call "peaceful protesters" are almost always wearing masks, and flee from the police? Do non-criminals wear masks and flee the police? I think not.

That's not even addressing the extremely violent behaviour witnessed at the majority of these so-called "peaceful protests".

Other methods for clearing the street? Tell them to move, then use force to move them. If they continue to resist then arrest them.

Unless you want to issue police with industrial snowplows which have been relabeled "Riot suppression vehicle-highway clearance (RSVHC)"

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Stand in the road, get run over. People can't protest from the foot paths?

Like those who loot and burn, protesting is fine, it's your right, protest to protect the rights of space bananas for all I care, but like with anything as soon as your disrupting other peoples, your fellow citizens lives, is when it is not okay.
Go stand on the white house lawn, instead you block roads and walkways, preventing people going about their lives, being a nuisance to the wrong people. Well they're going to get pissed.
You vandalise your fellow tax payers vehicles, their businesses, why aren't you burning police cars and smashing Army recruitment centres, rioting through the oval office? Where you should be sending messages to.
Nope you piss off your fellow country men instead and act all surprised when they get pissed off with it.

See some female protester attack a guy trying to get to work, nobody bats an eye, he lays her out cold and it's BOOHOO, ASSAULT, LOOK WHAT HE DID!!!.
And you people are surprised people want to run you over?

Honestly since Trump won, I have seen no change to the American day to day life, and those complaining about the doom and gloom of Trump winning, seem to be the ones being a pain in the ass and causing said doom and gloom.
Is it really hard for supposedly intelligent adults to see?

I don't care what label you give yourself, left, right, democrat, republican, I don;t care about your gender, sexuality or religion. What I do care about though is if you're acting like a decent human being and the grown up you're supposed to be.

It's all pot to the kettle crap and end of the day it is all childish. Maybe once Americans see that their country might be able to get it's # together.

But yeah play in the road, get run over, get physical and block people going about their lives, get decked right in the snozz. Don't want to get run over don't play in the street, don't want to get punched, don't antagonise and hit people first.
Thought we learnt such basics as kids? Action, Consequence.
Is common sense really that dead?

How are you protecting yourself by running someone over with a multi-ton vehicle?

Well I'd feel my safety was at risk if my car was surrounded by a few hundred masked people acting all aggressive and banging on my car and things. Better to burn gas than wait to be dragged through a broken window and beaten.
If I have to choose between my own well being and that of some random crazy on the hood of my car? Crazy on the hood is losing.

Protesters have a choice in where when and how they do things. The public who has to endure them doesn't.

edit on 17-2-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: typo or two

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Care to post any facts and statistics comparing looters to peaceful protests? No. I didn't think so.
edit on 17-2-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

*Yawn* anecdotes. I don't pay attention to them. Come back when you have statistics that back up your claims.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

No. Those were rioters and criminals.

Not all the people at protests are there for the right reasons. Some of them are hired by the opposition to a protest, to make the protestors look bad. Others get infiltrated into peaceful protest groups, as undercover agents working for the intelligence community and the law enforcement community.

So if they are throwing bricks, hurting people, or CAUSING violence, then the chances are that they are not protestors. They are separate from the protestors, not of the same group, not genuinely of the same ethos, and often are working for those who oppose the protestors aims.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You just hit on an interesting idea there... Why is it that all we see on the media are the violent protesters out protesting? Is it me, or is that all that makes the news nowadays? I mean, I know there have to be people out there performing proper protests, but I haven't seen any. That makes me wonder, are there really any legitimate protests going on?

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join