It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reefer Madness’ Greatest Hits: The Attorney General Sessions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

See my post above. Without a complete overhaul of this nations drug laws cannabis can not be made federally legal.

Even medically.

I seriously doubt the same man who said, "I liked the KKK until I found out they smoked pot." and "Marijuana users aren't good people." will support an overhaul of the country's drug laws in favor of users of what he considers a "dangerous" drug that's a threat to society. Session's ideas on cannabis haven't changed since the 1950's.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst
a reply to: WilliamtheResolute

Yeah worst president ever
I heard the reason Cannabis was made illegal was because of the Mexicans and the gov couldnt tax them for it, patent issues perhaps.

Well, I know the government funded pot farms for "research"...they did a fair job growing but couldn't match the quality from a few SA countries or Far East. Nixon had a true conservative hatred of anything he didn't understand and created the mess today because of his "alcohol is for fun and drugs are evil" philosophy.

Nixon viewed Marijuana as part of the culture war that was destroying the United States, and claimed that Communists were using it as a weapon:

" "Homosexuality, dope, immorality in general," "These are the enemies of strong societies. That's why the Communists and the left-wingers are pushing the stuff, they're trying to destroy us." His approach to drug education was just as simplistic: "Enforce the law. You've got to scare them."

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks
Sessions can only enforce the law; he cannot change or make laws. The legislative branch does this, judicial branch reviews and oversees these changes and the executive branch enforces these changes or new laws. That is how are government was created.

Session's is correct in that it doesn't matter what he really thinks, his job is to enforce active and approved federal laws. If a current law is changed, he will enforce that new law. Too many are not focusing on the reality that the lobbyist have already figured out. Congress is where the real power and fortunes are being created.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
Sessions can only enforce the law; he cannot change or make laws. The legislative branch does this, judicial branch reviews and oversees these changes and the executive branch enforces these changes or new laws. That is how are government was created.

Session's is correct in that it doesn't matter what he really thinks, his job is to enforce active and approved federal laws. If a current law is changed, he will enforce that new law. Too many are not focusing on the reality that the lobbyist have already figured out. Congress is where the real power and fortunes are being created.

The AG completely gets to choose which laws to enforce, which is why we've seen the blossoming of the recreational cannabis industry under the past administration. It's actually a federal crime to sell onion rings that look like onion rings but are actually made of diced onions.
www.freedomworks.org...

Will Sessions start a war on Burger King? I know that's kind of funny but it proves my point. The AG doesn't just blanketly enforce every federal law on the books, they pick and choose according to their own sensibilities.

And with Congress now having the largest Republican majority since 1931 I don't see them being sensible about changing drug laws.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

"The AG completely gets to choose which laws to enforce, which is why we've seen the blossoming of the recreational cannabis industry under the past administration."

Took the words right out of my mouth....I think the reason the government quit worrying about the pot industry was because they found that "coke" importation was easier and more lucrative.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I can agree with your last post. I just think it is more productive in the long run not to simply expect every four years that the new administration will do the same. The reality is the laws need to be updated and not simply kicked under a rug of non-committance. More focus and pressure does need to be applied on congress.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: WilliamtheResolute

"The AG completely gets to choose which laws to enforce, which is why we've seen the blossoming of the recreational cannabis industry under the past administration."

Took the words right out of my mouth....I think the reason the government quit worrying about the pot industry was because they found that "coke" importation was easier and more lucrative.

Completely. It wouldn't surprise me if the kickbacks a lot of politicians get from big pharma (the biggest opiate drug dealers on earth) are a big part of it as well.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
I can agree with your last post. I just think it is more productive in the long run not to simply expect every four years that the new administration will do the same. The reality is the laws need to be updated and not simply kicked under a rug of non-committance. More focus and pressure does need to be applied on congress.

I agree. It is more productive in the long run to try and federally legalize it, but that's not the hand we're dealt at the moment. I work in the Cannabis industry and thousands upon thousands of sick people rely on the way Cannabis is being handled right now, some of them just to stay alive. And Session's threatens that with outdated and provably false ideas.

That's my biggest issue with this.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Completely. It wouldn't surprise me if the kickbacks a lot of politicians get from big pharma (the biggest opiate drug dealers on earth) are a big part of it as well.

Exactly. One of these days someone will realize that there is a lot of tax money being left on the table by not legalizing. I guess you would have to derail the Big Pharma money train to certain congressmen to ever get the issue on the floor of Congress in the form of legislation.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

You can not expect an Attorney General to choose which laws to follow. That just leads to corruption and lawlessness. His job is to enforce existing laws.

Just because previous Attorney Generals have violated their oaths by picking and choosing which laws to follow does not mean that it is ok or that it should be the norm.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

....just remember you're dealing with politicians, an aberrant species.

edit on 12-2-2017 by WilliamtheResolute because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

You can not expect an Attorney General to choose which laws to follow. That just leads to corruption and lawlessness. His job is to enforce existing laws.

Just because previous Attorney Generals have violated their oaths by picking and choosing which laws to follow does not mean that it is ok or that it should be the norm.

Show me one AG who has ever completely enforced every Federal Law on the books.
edit on 12-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Does that make it ethical, or in any way ok?

The reason we elected Trump was to remove this kind of corruption from the swamp.

Do it the right way. Change the laws. Don't encourage lawlessness.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Exactly. One of these days someone will realize that there is a lot of tax money being left on the table by not legalizing. I guess you would have to derail the Big Pharma money train to certain congressmen to ever get the issue on the floor of Congress in the form of legislation.

Oh yeah. Big pharma lobbyists are already entrenched and politicians are used to the money.

So why change it if it's still working for them?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Does that make it ethical, or in any way ok?

The reason we elected Trump was to remove this kind of corruption from the swamp.

Do it the right way. Change the laws. Don't encourage lawlessness.

No it doesn't make it ethical, or right. But that's reality. And that's what we have to deal with, instead of expecting things to be how they "should" be, when how they really are is completely different.

It's not possible to change the laws federally right now. The system we have in place where cannabis is democratically voted on works. Why put over 100,000 people out of work overnight and make them criminals, if you don't have to?

I get that you believe Trump is here to drain the swamp, but Trump brand swamp water isn't looking any better.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I'm just feeling ill even reading through this thread (although the upside is that it seems the majority of people on here are in favor of legalizing marijuanna federally).

Someone so dear to me is facing the probablility of having chemo.. I suggested cannabis as a supplement (he tried it once in the 60s and never since) so that he might not have to take even more drugs and deal with the side effects etc.

To deny people the right to heal themselves naturally is pure evil. When the laws become evil, to break them is morally imperative.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

I'm just feeling ill even reading through this thread (although the upside is that it seems the majority of people on here are in favor of legalizing marijuanna federally).

Someone so dear to me is facing the probablility of having chemo.. I suggested cannabis as a supplement (he tried it once in the 60s and never since) so that he might not have to take even more drugs and deal with the side effects etc.

To deny people the right to heal themselves naturally is pure evil. When the laws become evil, to break them is morally imperative.

My Aunt passed away from cancer about 6 months ago, and I wish I would have been able to give her some of the CBD oil we carry. But, it was illegal where she lived, and she wouldn't dream of doing anything illegal, even if it helped her stay alive.

The motto right now among a lot of people that rely on the medical aspect of cannabis to live and function is, "Better to live illegally, than to die legally." And I completely agree.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Oh yeah. Big pharma lobbyists are already entrenched and politicians are used to the money.

So why change it if it's still working for them?

Agreed and don't forget the various alphabet agencies and bankers that depend on the laundered money from this trade.
I'm hoping that Sessions will have plenty of other stuff to take his attention while Congress sorts through cannabis laws.
If you want to know more about the original prohibition of the weed, investigate how it happened that it took an amendment to the Constitution to ban alcohol but a simple law in Congress got cannabis banned. Strange, eh? A good start is Jack Herer's research.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

It's illegal for the head of DEA to even talk about or consider legalizing anything that's already been scheduled (as I've linked on ATS more than once).

Without the majority of laws in this country being completely rewritten there is no way cannabis will ever be made federally legal. Sessions knows this, he just makes those comments so he doesn't look like the bad guy to uninformed people.

Really? Weird, as year after year the DEA is the sole fountainhead of what get slated to get criminalized. So you'd insist its "illegal" for them to have anything at all to do with decriminalization thought processes, when one of their primary directives is in the monitoring of emerging / street drugs trends and in essentially playing lobbyists to Congress in the advocacy & schemes of such new scheduling???

And seriously, what would you have an AG prospect say about such a theme with any possible specific law?

"Oh, yeah, that thing over there, well, personally I approve so therefore I will make it my personal pet project to loosen national prosecutions etc etc. Am I hired?"

That said, I dont claim to know what he's going to be doing about all that. But traditionally cabinet people follow their leader (or they're made to tender their resignation). So wouldn't the focus where put the spotlight back onto Trump's positions on the the?

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
In North Korea, smoke weed, no big deal, dude! Its all good baby!

"WORLDPOST
When It Comes To Marijuana, North Korea Appears To Have Liberal Policy Of Tolerance
10/10/2013 05:58 pm ET"

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join