It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Blocked by Protesters From Entering a DC Public School

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Well, to be fair, Democrats have a history of blocking school doors going back to Bull Connor.

Well played
Well played indeed!!!!
You win the internets for today!!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

DC public schools are trash and have been for quite a while.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Stop acting like some kind of victim.

I'm not. I'm just not going to engage someone who insults me and I was explaining why. Is that too hard for you to understand or do you have to make everything look like a whine?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

originally posted by: Ohanka
A perfect example for DeVos about what needs to be fixed in the education system!

Cracking down on our right to protest?

So she didn't have a right to do her job? Rights go both ways not just for whiney liberals.

Sure. she just had to get through that wall of protesters. Last I checked the protesters aren't the police so they couldn't be infringing on any rights. Nice way to spin that back when protesting is a traditionally a way of inconveniencing people to make sure they hear your point. If your protest doesn't inconvenience people then they don't listen.

I'm finding it interesting that the Right is getting all up in DeVos being protested, etc - - calling for more body guards, etc.

Haven't seen one mention or thread on the judges of the 9th circuit getting threats and having to increase their security.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

originally posted by: Ohanka
A perfect example for DeVos about what needs to be fixed in the education system!

Cracking down on our right to protest?

So she didn't have a right to do her job? Rights go both ways not just for whiney liberals.

Sure. she just had to get through that wall of protesters. Last I checked the protesters aren't the police so they couldn't be infringing on any rights. Nice way to spin that back when protesting is a traditionally a way of inconveniencing people to make sure they hear your point. If your protest doesn't inconvenience people then they don't listen.

I'm finding it interesting that the Right is getting all up in DeVos being protested, etc - - calling for more body guards, etc.

Haven't seen one mention or thread on the judges of the 9th circuit getting threats and having to increase their security.

You are in the wrong thread for that. Or, is that a deflection tactic? If that concerns you, please, make a thread on that topic.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Well come on. Just look how they are treating me. I get insulted then FURTHER demeaned because I merely decided to not engage the person who insulted me. So expecting logical applications of their rhetoric isn't a realistic thing. They just want to attack liberals.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

good thing your not a liberal eh?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Have the protesters arrested, they are interfering with government business.

Weren't you a defender of the Bundy Ranch takeover of Government land???

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You inspired me.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

How about she prove to be worthy of the position first before she get it.

She's just buying her way in by donating large sums of family money so she can play with the system.

What she did in Detroit was either a success or failure depending on who you listen to. There is no straight answer like always. It's all partisan and bias opinions. So whether she's qualified is debatable.

She plagiarized part of her answers to the senate. She couldn't answer direct questions when asked. She sucks. People don't agree with what she wants to do. She has no experience with Public Education.

Trump isn't God and no we don't have to let people have a shot at something to know they don't belong there. We can, sure, but don't have to.

Conservatives have done nothing but resist and attack Democrats and Liberals non stop for years and now all of a sudden they can't seem to figure out why we can't just give someone a chance??? Well, maybe because so many conservatives have been complete A-holes and obstructionists for so long Liberals don't give a damn about giving them a chance anymore. Every time they get a chance all they do is use it as a weapon.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Trump is, or was, blocking all kinds of people from coming here legally. Keeping the from their families and kids from their doctors, etc.

You guys thought that was perfectly acceptable. This is just one unelected official being kept from a school. I'd say it's not even 1/10th as serious.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

How about she prove to be worthy of the position first before she get it.

She's just buying her way in by donating large sums of family money so she can play with the system.

That sounds like all the Pay To Play ambassadors whom bought their tenures. Nobody protested that, though, huh?

Humiliating the Secretary of Education in front of entire schools full of children, this has got to be the lowest bar I can think of (outside of riots, assaults, torture, mass murder, blocking ambulances anyways).

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

You inspired me.

edit on 10-2-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Why did they ever pick this woman?

Oh wait, her family is richer than beyond belief and has direct ties with Blackwater ...

Take a look at her extensive qualifications and future plans for education in the U.S... what a joke.
Wonder where all that student debt relief will end up in a year or so.

edit on 10-2-2017 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

What will DeVos do exactly that will end society as we know it ?

What laws and regulations can she use to destroy everything ?

Demolition orders for all public school buildings maybe ?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Debt relief?? I am against those type of handouts. A college education is a privilege, and one should make that decision with forethought about how to pay for it, and if the education path chosen will do that. I did, and it took me 15 years to pay off my debt. I received no relief, only the threat of wage garnishment if left unpaid.

I entered into that contract, and I should be expected to uphold my end of that contract (which I did). "Debt Relief" is less relief and more a bailout of bad decisions IMO.

And I am against that, as I was against the same when applied to the banks and auto companies.

edit on 2/10/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

She has no experience, in anything. Did you even watch the video? Hear the questions and the useless answers?

All I am getting at is, they're much more qualified people out there than her.

Debt relief?? I am against those type of handouts. A college education is a privilege, and one should make that decision with forethought about how to pay for it, and if the education path chosen will do that. I did, and it took me 15 years to pay off my debt. I received no relief, only the threat of wage garnishment if left unpaid. I entered into that contract, and I should be expected to uphold my en of that contract. "Debt Relief" is less relief and more a bailout of bad decisions IMO. And I am against that, as I was against the same when applied to the banks and auto companies.

So because you chose to suffer means others who cannot afford college need to?

I see where this is going...

Also, do you know how much even just a BA will set people back now days? I think you are out of touch with the times here.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
Good.

Deny. Fight. Obstruct. Resist. Impeach.

Yes, how dare she interrupt this fine process and tear down the wall.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Also, do you know how much even just a BA will set people back now days? I think you are out of touch with the times here.

Irrelevant. The choice to go and to sign a contract is just that. A choice. An adult choice. Decisions have consequences. The price of education is irrelevant. If you cannot understand that, then I suggest you not buy a house either. Because, frankly, I don't want to bail your (collective) sorry butt out when you cannot pay your mortgage an whine and moan about it being unfair.

The gravy train has stopped. Accept that. You will sleep better.

ETA: Thought. If the price of education is such a dividing factor, perhaps that would be a great platform to approach the new SecEd about fixing? Granted, it would mean actual work and communication not just writing on a sign and screaming of it being unfair in front of a school.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: strongfp

Irrelevant. The choice to go and to sign a contract is just that. A choice. An adult choice. Decisions have consequences. The price of education is irrelevant. If you cannot understand that, then I suggest you not buy a house either. Because, frankly, I don;t want to bail our sorry butt out when you cannot pay your mortgage an whine and moan about it being unfair.

The gravy train has stopped. Accept that. You will sleep better.

So a 17 - 18 year old entering the post secondary education system through not necessarily choice but pressure from society to better themselves is making 'adult' choices?
Just a question ...

What about people who are of the lower middle class?
Or below that, or people who lost their jobs and are in their 30's with no other skills?
Just another question...

And there is more options than buying a house, you don't NEED to buy a house, you can rent and have an invesment portfolio, just a hypothetical situation...

You are projecting YOUR life experiences and direct thoughts on a system and situational events varying from person to person here, just because you chose to not take debt relief, and spend 15 years paying it off and buying a house (I am assuming you have here) does not mean other people are in that situation as you were in.

I myself took debt relief when I went BACK to school, I couldn't go to school full time and work full time to support myself, so guess what, my government had my back and chopped off 40% of my debt. Is that so bad?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join