It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Not sarcasm--definitely the best!

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Having a job you can feel good about makes a difference. It sucks though when rejected by a client.

I'm either ultra super loved, and the office gets ridiculous amounts of praise about me, or I get rejected.
edit on 2/8/2017 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Having a job you can feel good about makes a difference. It sucks though when rejected by a client though.

I'm either ultra super loved, and the office gets ridiculous amounts of praise about me, or I get rejected.

I have been with primarily the same person for almost 5 years. He has changed my life.

Working with people with disabilities will humble you. I could tell you story after story that inspire me from the people I have worked with.

posted on Feb, 8 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

One thing both good and tragic about the job is great job security. Baby boomers just got old. So great job security, which is good, but is because too many people are lacking the help they need and deserve, which is bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Yup I know what that's like. I'm a supervisor and feel like I am baby sitting all the time!

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

I always keep a length of rubber hose in my laptop bag. Most of the time I only have to show it to the direct reports and they get the message.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Years ago I worked at a non-profit that provided adults with varying degrees of mental disabilities work, training, education and daily activities. The local businesses in the area donated piece-work for those who were capable of performing easy tasks. Others who were more self sufficient were taught things like how to open a checking account, how to balance a check book and other every day tasks. Those who were not capable of functioning at that level spent the day engaged in various activities like arts and crafts, field trips, etc. We had 120 individuals at our location. Each and every one of them were uniquely special. I was truly in love with and I deeply cared for all of them. It always amazed me how the smallest and most simple task was the most important thing in the world to these guys. One guy in particular, Freddy, was in his mid 60's and yet he'd sit in my office telling me all about how when he grew up he wanted to marry a pretty girl and have lotts and lotts of children, specifically sons so they could take over the family business after he died. He told me all about the beautiful ranch he wanted to live in
he was very sweet. He would show me how he did his job which consisted of taking a piece of paper out of one box and putting it on top of another piece of paper in a different box, stapling them together and putting them in the completed box. He was SO over the top proud of his job. It was an awesome experience. The place went through a state audit and in the end many of the services were shut down.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

I hear you! I never intended on getting into IT! I was heading down the road of public and government affairs, PR type of stuff, large event planning, hosting small businesses, working with a lot of large non-profits and a lot of sports stars and celebrities. But a great opportunity presented itself and I couldn't turn it down. The fact of the matter is that I've been working for large profitable Banks and financial institutions my entire life, always within corporate marketing, public relations and corporate communications, etc. When the "Mother Ship" called to offer me the job I have now in IT, the benefits outweighed the type of work I was doing. I am happy I took the chance and I love my job. Although if I knew now what I didn't know 20 years ago I would have been a personal trainer, professional female body builder and I would have had a chain of my own MMA schools across the country right now lol!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Hahaha! Too funny!

Mine is easy... I am in charge of their attendance and more importantly their payroll! I def have the upper hand there!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I work in IT at a small college.
When I first started working here, I "managed" a small computer lab. My title was lab assistant. I think I was suppose to tutor students or something; but instead I just ran the lab, keep the decade old pcs running with little to no issues.
Then a few years ago, I got bumped up to the IT department. So now I run all over campus fixing PC (hardware, software, ID.10.T) issues.
The pay is not so great, the benefits are nice. I wish I made more, but at least my wife now has a full time job in her field. So, perhaps I can get more education / training and perhaps move up/on to bigger and better things. I have been here for almost 10 years (10 yrs in july).
I still don't like doing helpdesk phone support though, not seeing the screen sometimes bothers me.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scorpiogurl
Mine is easy... I am in charge of their attendance and more importantly their payroll! I def have the upper hand there!

I hear you. I get final say on the commissions so it is rather unsurprising how rapidly you can motivate someone when the potential is there that they wont get their coms on time.

On the other hand IT is a rather thankless job, no one gives a crap until they spill s*** on their tablet and cant get to their daily does of cat memes. I would most likely beat them with a Cat5 cable if I were you.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Cat5 of nine tails does more damage and instills more knowledge.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Skada

See, that is what the **** I am talking about.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Skada
Hmmm...I might have to make one of those. Right now I just hang them through the loops

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Do either of those red buttons summon more beer? If 'no', why?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Of course!
One is beer...one is whiskey. And you don't see the green auto eject button that we use on the really bad days.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Glad to see someone is following OSHA guidelines.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skada

Cat5 of nine tails does more damage and instills more knowledge.

Haha! Let the daily beatings begin!

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

I drive a van, delivering people's groceries to their home.
I love the work, meeting the people, chatting, taking long drives through the Gloucestershire countryside, it's awesome. hate the money, though.

Used to work in various Labs after school and same story, loved it, but rubbish money.

I did 20 years on the railway, some bits I loved, other bits I loathed, eventually had to leave because, despite the money being great, it was doing my head in.

Woking on a career change, but who knows.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join