It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens if ACA goes away?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This thread is just a question. But I want you to think hard about it.

What happens if ACA goes away or is repealed or reduced or any of the possibilities?

My wife is a cancer survivor. That's a pre existing condition. Her company just merged with another company. Layoffs could be happening. Let's say she gets fired. She can get another job but the possibility exists that she wont' be able to get on with their insurance because of this pre existing condition.

While some of you whine and cry like little babies because your premiums went up with Obamacare, I'm talking about a life or death situation at worst or a severe financial situation at best...meaning possible bankruptcy or downsizing everything or who knows what.

Despite the rhetoric, there is no replacement in the works that covers this. While you guys dance and sing over the demise of Obamacare, my wife could die. I really hope you feel good about that.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: amazing

Does this help you? Obamacare Repeal: What Happens to People With Pre-Existing Conditions?

I saw that. and the answer is Yes and No. The gist of the article was that it's really not clear and we still don't know what will happen.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It wouldn't affect the Pre-existing conditions clause until they find an ACA replacement, so no immediate issues

(From the link I posted)

If the GOP successfully does this, as they intend, the pre-existing conditions provision would not be touched, and would basically stay in effect—until they manage to pass a replacement plan.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There's no credible sources claiming pre-existing conditions will be targeted.

Is there ?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

What happens if ACA goes away or is repealed or reduced or any of the possibilities?

My wife is a cancer survivor. That's a pre existing condition. Her company just merged with another company. Layoffs could be happening. Let's say she gets fired. She can get another job but the possibility exists that she wont' be able to get on with their insurance because of this pre existing condition.

While some of you whine and cry like little babies because your premiums went up with Obamacare, I'm talking about a life or death situation at worst or a severe financial situation at best...meaning possible bankruptcy or downsizing everything or who knows what.

Despite the rhetoric, there is no replacement in the works that covers this. While you guys dance and sing over the demise of Obamacare, my wife could die. I really hope you feel good about that.

I'm sorry for your wife. I hope she stays cancer free. I don't think there's anyone who hates the ACA that would mind paying a slightly higher premium to cover extreme pre-existing conditions. My main complaint with it is that I'm forced to pay for all types of coverages I do not need. I have no need for pregnancy coverage, etc. I should be able to choose my damn coverge and the minimums, no one else.

My premiums rose from $450 a month for family coverage pre-ACA to $1,100 a month currently. We're talking about a 4 year period. It's the equivalent of a mortgage payment for some people.

I definitely do not feel good about that.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Republicans don't care about well being or family. They care about money and money.

The ones who think they're specifically profiting from the removal of Obamacare don't even use Obamacare. No one that had it was ungrateful, just their 'neighbors'.

My roommate has complained about Obamacare and the fine for 3 years now. He also doesn't go to the Doctor, he has to lay in the shower every morning to 'relax his muscles' and has gingivitis. It's ironic he thinks he never needs to see the doctor. He's been sick 5 times this winter. I guess we're expected to live with health standards like these people.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Is there ?

There's plenty. Depending on which replacement or plan you think might be passed. Some of the replacement options are very simple, like basic vouchers but without any enforceable clauses that target insurance companies that either deny or charge higher rates or deny specific expensive conditions.

Remember that Obama was elected twice on the basis of healthcare reform. Also remember how many people die and go bantrupt, still in America over healthcare and the lack of it.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

What happens if it goes away is that your personal budgeting woes will return to being your personal budgeting woes in much the same manner as the ACA has made your personal budgeting woes the problem of everyone else.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's really the entirety of it. I keep hearing this 20 million will lose coverage figure thrown out there, what I think those 20 million don't realize (or don't care about) is that there are a good 100 million+ of us who had affordable insurance AND AFFORDABLE DEDUCTABLES before the ACA who now are being forced to pay so much in premiums and deductables that we can't freaking afford to use the damn insurance we're paying 300%+ more for. So we're supposed to care deeply about the plight of the uninsured who obviously have zero sympathies towards the very folks being fleeced to provide them their insurance...

Repeal it ASAP. No rewriting, no retooling, no replacing, just GET RID OF IT.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
While I'm sorry to hear about your wife, the ACA just wasn't working for many. The increase in premiums was devastating. In some states, the new rates rose as high as 117% and where I live, it was going up by almost 50%. Or you could just refuse to get it and the IRS can fine the hell out of you. Either way, people were between a rock and hard place. No one is trying to kill your wife or is happy that she is sick, but from a realistic standpoint, the ACA has been a failure from day one. It's done nothing but be a drain on the average person's wallet and insurance companies are pulling out of many states, because they couldn't make enough profit.
If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the greedy bastards who wrote it.

Did you know that,, because of the ACA, my premiums have seriously increased [and I don't even have insurance through it ] and my deductible right along with the premium. I use to have about a $40 co pay, but now, since the company changed it policies, I now am out of pocket roughly $300 every time I go.

$300. Plus medicines.
edit on 26-1-2017 by DAVID64 because: just because

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah, FamCore is right. It is very unlikely that the Trump administration will rip the coverage from under your feet. They recently said that keeping your ACA coverage would be one of the options while new plans come online. And Trump has stated that he wants to keep the preexisting condition part as well as the coverage for your children up to the current age limit.

Repeal/replace isn't going to be a big switch, it is going to be a lot of small revisions over the course of time. A much smarter way than the big switch that the ACA was (lets pass it and then see what's in it).

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

From everything I have seen a complete repeal wont happen as Trump has stated he wants to keep what works and fix the parts that dont. Republicans have also stated they wont do a full repeal without a replacement in place.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesjr

The problem with that is that Trump has made it clear that he wants to get rid of the individual mandate. The whole reason for the individual mandate is to support the preexisting condition clause. The simple fact is that insurance companies lose money on preexisting conditions. The individual mandate makes sure that the insurance companies are able to recoup their losses while offering insurance to people with preexisting conditions at a reasonable price.

So how exactly do you think you resolve the issue of keeping the preexisting condition clause while getting rid of the individual mandate?

Plus, there's the fact that the Senate has already voted against funding the preexisting clause. So there's that.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Likewise, this response is just a reply, but I hope you will think long and hard about it.

My wife is a cancer survivor.

My congratulations to your wife and you. I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm very happy for her success.

I too have a life threatening condition that will probably kill me sooner or later -- if something else doesn't get me first. I lost my insurance because of the ACA when my husband's employer could no longer afford to cover employees' families. I am basically unemployable because of this condition. But because we do have an income, and his employer does offer insurance to employees, I am not eligible for any subsidies whatsoever. We literally cannot afford the premiums, which run well over $1,000 per month for a bare bones policy, plus a $6,000 deductible.

I am alive only because of my own efforts -- with ALL my medical expenses paid out of pocket for several years now. The last doctor I saw said I was "lucky" that I was still here for it to have progressed this far. (Yeah, right) My only hope at this point is that when/if it takes me, that it takes me quick so that my husband isn't left with a mountain of medical bills -- much like you worry about.

Despite the rhetoric, there is no replacement in the works that covers this.

I know the feeling well... perhaps even better. It's still just a potential reality for you.

While you guys dance and sing over the demise of Obamacare, my wife could die. I really hope you feel good about that.

While you cry and complain over the demise of Obamacare, I could die. My husband could just as easily say that while you dance and sing over Obamacare, his wife could die.

I really hope you DON'T feel good about that, and would like to see our health system reformed so that neither your wife nor I nor ANYONE is never placed in such a position ever again.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: bluesjr

The problem with that is that Trump has made it clear that he wants to get rid of the individual mandate. The whole reason for the individual mandate is to support the preexisting condition clause. The simple fact is that insurance companies lose money on preexisting conditions. The individual mandate makes sure that the insurance companies are able to recoup their losses while offering insurance to people with preexisting conditions at a reasonable price.

So how exactly do you think you resolve the issue of keeping the preexisting condition clause while getting rid of the individual mandate?

Plus, there's the fact that the Senate has already voted against funding the preexisting clause. So there's that.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that not all insurance policies reject pre-existing conditions and it has been that way for a long time. I've been working as an engineer for about 34 years and have changed companies about 6 times. Each time I was offered insurance that didn't reject preexisting conditions. So it may be financially possible for all policies to accept pre-existing conditions even though many hadn't before. It would mean a premium increase for everyone, but that seemed to happen anyway.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Apply RICO, USC 15 laws pertaining to disparate pricing, monopolistic practices, collusion and pricing upfront.

Drop costs immediately by 50%, with potential to drop up to 85% as market forces (fair,open) come into play.

With that done most absolutely would not need insurance except for catastrophic healthcare.

With that done government (taxpayer) could easily help in a situation such as yours and willingly to boot as it would break no one's budget.

Insurance is a big shiny bauble to keep peeps from realizing massive and long running record setting law breaking resulting in criminal gain is occurring that makes banking scandal small potatoes.

Folks want something to march for, there you go!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If your wife gets another job that offers group insurance, she's good. Group policies don't ask about pre existing conditions. The premiums for groups are set high enough to cover such eventualities as some having existing illness.

Laying a guilt trip on people who want to pay reasonable premiums for health insurance isn't going to advance your cause. Having to decide whether to pay the mortgage or health insurance premiums to avoid being fined doesn't exactly seem fair either does it?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
My health insurance cost will go done

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ROBOTNINJADRAGON

Republicans don't care about well being or family. They care about money and money.

How does that work if everyone is sick or dead?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Is there ?

There's plenty. Depending on which replacement or plan you think might be passed. Some of the replacement options are very simple, like basic vouchers but without any enforceable clauses that target insurance companies that either deny or charge higher rates or deny specific expensive conditions.

Remember that Obama was elected twice on the basis of healthcare reform. Also remember how many people die and go bantrupt, still in America over healthcare and the lack of it.

You should post the quotes.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join