It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists make something from nothing with 'virtual' particles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I find this fascinating. In 2011 Scientists found that 'Moving Mirrors Create Light out of Nothing'.

So, this is an extension of interest into what Light is and how it's manipulated.

I'd like to add that Ormus Powder will also cause Items to disappear, but they can still be detected. That's for another post though.

'Squeezed light' could make for even more sensitive gravitational wave detectors.

One of the more absurd facts of the universe is that empty space is never empty. At tiny scales particles are constantly popping in and out of existence – and these so-called “virtual” particles have a very real influence on the world around us.

Now, using a trick of quantum optics as astonishing as it is weird, physicists from the University of Konstanz in Germany have found a way to manipulate nothingness by controlling how virtual particles interact with a pulse of light.

An old riddle of philosophy asks, “What’s in an empty kettle?”

The obvious answer (“nothing”) is wrong because it disagrees with Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle – it decrees there must be fluctuations of energy inside the kettle and these manifest as particles popping in and out of existence.

These so-called “virtual” particles have a real effect on the universe. For instance, the virtual particles cause a ghost-like, but measurable force, called Casimir force, that pushes two mirrors together in a vacuum. And the appearance of virtual particles on the edge of a black hole is what causes Hawking radiation (if it exists).

cosmosmagazine.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is fascinating, I don't always agree with you but this it's great when we have posts unrelated to politics. It's just not fun anymore, if it ever was. I feel theres hope of the old ATS coming back, it will take work of intelligent members.

edit on 1 240524 1717 by WUNK22 because: Spell

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

ATS was never gone B-) Star for you gentleman.
edit on 24-1-2017 by belkide because: (no reason given)
And a flag for the OP. Great find.
edit on 24-1-2017 by belkide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

No one agrees all of the time anyway it would get pretty boring if they did. I'm hoping for some Intelligent conversation on this as well. Perhaps some people here who know more than I on the subject. We never stop learning.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: belkide

Thankya belkide

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Random though sparked by this post...if light lives in "nothing" then perhaps I should revisit some zero point energy ideas...may not be quite so absurd after all! And I'm not above saying, "damn I was wrong and you were right". Very interesting find.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
so maybe it is possible that the entire universe was created out of nothing.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff and i'm interested, thanks for sharing OP.

posted on Jan, 24 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

I have a question. How can hawking radiation emit particles from a black hole? I thought not even light can escape a black hole?

I read about it a little but I still don't understand how something can over come the gravity of a black hole.
edit on 1/24/2017 by Alien Abduct because: Corrected the auto corrector

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   

physicists from the University of Konstanz in Germany have found a way to manipulate nothingness

...that awkward moment when they realize they didn't manipulate anything.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I doubt I'll ever wrap my head round quantum physics (didn't do too badly at regular physics at school though). This is mind boggling, it will be interesting to see what real world applications this will have...

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

I have a question. How can hawking radiation emit particles from a black hole? I thought not even light can escape a black hole?

I read about it a little but I still don't understand how something can over come the gravity of a black hole.

It cant Hawkings radiation would not occur from within the black hole. Picture it this way the reason we cant vacuum radiation is when a particle is created its anti particle is created at the same time. they immediately annihilate one another and to us seems they never existed. But now at the event horizon of a Black hole something unusual can happen we have our two particles created but before they can collide and destroy each other the gravity grabs one of the particles trapping it inside the Black hole. Our other particle now can continue to exist since its anti particle has now been removed. This radiation can travel away from the black hole since its moving at the speed of light and has not crossed the event horizon where it will be captured.

This is one way virtual particles do not annihilate each other and that is if space expands pulling our particles apart faster than they collide. This is in essence the theory on how matter was created in our universe. Space expanded so rapidly not allowing virtual particles to touch meaning matter and anti matter were able to remain. Now as far as getting energy from vacuum energy we can manipulate it however we cant get any usable energy unless we either find a way to expand space so rapidly or create a gravity well both these options need huge amounts of space so not an effective energy source.

Now for this experiment what we can do is use energy to trap a particle think of it like putting something in a vice. Well every particle is in motion between positive and negative energy think of a wave half our wave would have negative energy the other half positive. To us this oscillations cancel each other out and we see zero energy. But now we stop or particle from moving its still going to attempt to get to its ground state. A ground state is the lowest energy level it can achieve, Like a ball rolling down a hill it eventually comes to rest at the bottom of the hill. this is its lowest energy state but back to our particle we restrict its ability to wiggle to release its energy it will create a photon to get to its lowest energy level. And with the release of the photon we still have zero energy.

edit on 1/25/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LetsGoViking

Totally man

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Thanks for that

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I love this stuff, will be interesting to see where they go from here though.

posted on Jan, 25 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

"we have our two particles created but before they can collide and destroy each other the gravity grabs one of the particles trapping it inside the Black hole."

Is that particle that gets trapped by the black hole trapped forever? If so then how does the black hole eventually evaporate completely away?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

a reply to: dragonridr

"we have our two particles created but before they can collide and destroy each other the gravity grabs one of the particles trapping it inside the Black hole."

Is that particle that gets trapped by the black hole trapped forever? If so then how does the black hole eventually evaporate completely away?

The black hole has to pay the price for the creation of both particles.

The original problem is that classic black holes have zero temperature, which would violate the second law of thermodynamics. You could reduce entropy by throwing hot stuff into a black hole.

To fix this Bekenstein conjectured that black hole entropy(temperature) should be proportional to event horizon area. Hawking confirmed the conjecture by calculating the correct value and proposed a mechanism for it aka Hawking radiation.

Hawking radiation has not been observed yet, remains a prediction.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Could 'Hawking Radiation' be zero point energy coming from the quantum vacuum through a hole in space-time created by the black hole?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

a reply to: moebius

Could 'Hawking Radiation' be zero point energy coming from the quantum vacuum through a hole in space-time created by the black hole?

Black holes aren't really "holes". They are regions of spacetime deformed to the point that light can not escape. The point of no return is the event horizon. Locally the event horizon doesn't have to be anything special. You might not even notice anything when passing it, well except for some funky gravitational lensing and everything going black.
Animation: gfycat.com...

The classic view is that there is a singularity in the center of the black "hole". There are scientists who question this though, think that there might be something more interesting going on. Unfortunately there is no way to tell.

top topics

join