It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I always feel like someone is watching me, Homeland Security keeping us safe.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

While harassing citizens at home, the FBI, which can't set up a successful internal computer system of its own (despite squandering at least $170 million on the project), began dabbling in overseas e-censorship, by confiscating servers in the United Kingdom from Indymedia, the activist media network website "with apparently no explanation." As Ward Harkavy reported in the Village Voice, "The network of activists has not been accused of breaking any laws. But all of the material actually on some of its key servers and hard disks was seized." More recently, the creator of an open-source tool designed to help internet security experts scan networks, services, and applications says he's been "pressured" by the FBI for copies of the web server log that hosts his website.

In addition to intimidation tactics and tech-centric activities, the FBI has apparently been using Joint Terrorism Task Forces (teams of state and local law enforcement officers, FBI and other federal agents) as well as local police to conduct "political surveillance" of environmental activists as well as anti-war and religious-based protest groups. The bureau is also eager to farm out such work to ordinary Americans and has been calling on the public to do some old-fashioned peeping through the blinds, just in case the neighbors are up to "certain kinds of activities [that] indicate terrorist plans that are in the works."

And, in fact, much of this has already begun to come true. After all, "suspicious persons out of place" now do get arrested in the new Homeland Security State for such offenses as wearing anti-Bush t-shirts, carrying anti-Bush signs or just heckling the president. Today, even displaying an anti-Bush sticker is, in the words of the Secret Service, apparently "borderline terrorism." Holding a sign that reads, "This war is Bu#," warrants a citation from the cops and, as an eleven year old boy found out, the sheriff might come calling on you if you utter "anti-American" statements -- while parents may be questioned by law enforcement officials to ascertain if they're teaching "anti-American values" at home.

Source

I don't know about you but this is some scary stuff. I'm glad I'm not a member of any group.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphetOfYahweh
Today, even displaying an anti-Bush sticker is, in the words of the Secret Service, apparently "borderline terrorism." Holding a sign that reads, "This war is Bu#," warrants a citation from the cops and, as an eleven year old boy found out, the sheriff might come calling on you if you utter "anti-American" statements -- while parents may be questioned by law enforcement officials to ascertain if they're teaching "anti-American values" at home.

Source

I don't know about you but this is some scary stuff. I'm glad I'm not a member of any group.

Ah yes, the only thing that is missing is for Homeland security to allocate powers to town officials and loyal citizens so they can spy/dob on each other and wear "bush" pins under their lapels.

All that's needed is a motto that groups everyone into one big bubbling pot and singles out the dissenters and non-participants... Is "Strength through joy" taken?

[/sarcasm]

I have never been so happy to not live in America

[edit on 29-1-2005 by Johnny Redburn]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

And we've never been so happy to not have you. It seems that the UK has it's own set of laws to worry about:

What is classified as a pre-terrorist act? Thinking about it? So you can be convicted, without a jury trial, without ever knowing the evidence against you on the say so of an official paid by the government. Orwell was only 20 years out.
Robert, London

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by Johnny Redburn

And we've never been so happy to not have you. It seems that the UK has it's own set of laws to worry about:

jsobecky: I had a feeling I would yield that exact response even as I was typing the comment, it was just a matter of whom would reply it.

And yeah the UK has been becoming rather suspect on the matter, and I would say it has the potential to become even more so due to the massive amount of camera's and surveillance that is positioned in that country watching its citizens.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Do you like insulting people jsobecky?
Every post i have made has had an insult in the first 2 replies.
Please dont.....

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
There was no insult from me, only an echo of what he said.

And I'm supposed to sit by while he makes disparaging remarks about my country? Not on your life.

jsobecky: I had a feeling I would yield that exact response even as I was typing the comment, it was just a matter of whom would reply it.

You'll get plenty of attention as long as you make stupid comments like that. Of course, you could get better attention of you said something intelligent, but that appears to be beyond your capablities.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Oi. Not to join the squabble, but please do not mistake that this fool represents all Americans. And on the topic, I feel safe and sound in the US and am without complaint except that we have a southern idiot as our president and no other worthy contender to vote for this past election! Not that I was voting age anyway.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
OK all PLAY NICE

Warnings here on out......

new topics

top topics

join