It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Psychologist Frederick Malmstrom, currently a visiting scholar at the U.S. Air Force Academy, believes that these 'visions' of space aliens are actually the image of the prototypical female face that is hardwired into every baby human's brain. When Malmstrom altered a picture of a woman in a way consistent with the characteristics of a newborn's vision (astigmatism and a shallow focal plane), the result looked very much like a big-eyed alien.
This has been mentioned a few times, and it seems the most plausible. Humans are interested in covering their reproductive organs only. In females the vagina and nipples, and in males the penis. In depictions of naked aliens no reproductive organs are typically present.
originally posted by: Spider879
They don't have Penises or punnanies ,so why bother covering up..
originally posted by: pheonix358
Because Christianity and other religions did not make them mental cases at the mere thought of seeing a fellow human naked.
originally posted by: flyandi
This has been bothering me a for a long time but whenever anyone claims an alien, sees an alien, depicts an alien, visualizes an alien or just talk about aliens - there is a 90% chance that they are naked.
They travel in starships, UFO's, know dark matter, can transcend through time and space, and even talk every language ever known to human kind BUT they don't have the money for clothes or sun glasses, or .. , or .. Even Jabba has no clothes although most "aliens" actually wear clothes in Star Wars.
You think that an advanced race that has achieved all the above would not come her showing their best stuff at the first meeting (u know what I mean) - wherever their placement is.
I have my own theories but wonder what ATS thinks:
- Generally speaking I believe that showing aliens naked make them less threatening - like the famous line: "Imagine your audience naked when you are on stage". So a naked alien would be more calming to the eye than an actual dressed alien. While it's less threatening it can also invoke much more fear. So I guess a "naked" alien can have a dual purpose.
- Alien researchers have no clue what they should look like and don't bother to visualize it.
- Movies save their money to create a working wardrobe for their "alien" actors. Nothing more silly than dressing an alien in human clothes - with Paul the exception. Star Wars takes a lot of pride in their dedicated character development - so every species has a purposeful designed outfit.
- Many people are into kinky alien stuff. Wonder what Mr and Mrs Alien will say about that...
Now from a practical standpoint, I think the following theory could hold a valid point as well:
- Intelligent aliens in organic form would not survive the long trip through the vast matter of space. So they would send AI ships instead. Any organic life form on those ships, probes, etc - would be animals or higher "animal" workers that don't require clothes (almost like a slave race).
Anyway, it's fascinates me that most envisioned alien races are naked.