It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft kept artificially alive must cost tax payers a fortune

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

If the OP really wants to see US government supported industries then look to defence and aerospace. "Here is squadzillion dollars and please give me a screw driver, that does not work".

Yeah squadzillions for the internet police squads

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The 2016 Financials are easily available. Microsoft is profitable and highly liquid with very strong cash reserves. Bankruptcy? Nuh uh.

I said some very good software. Windows 10 is stupid but the Office Suite is always getting better (except for the Windows 10 interfacing). Their development packages are very good.

I THINK: They are taking ...
(bribes from NSA / CIA) is not a healthy company under free market control, they are on the take ...
edit on 2017-1-1 by galien8 because: typo

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: galien8

If Matt Cutts ( Google's Anti WebSpam Guru ) is working with the US Government ( which should worry many ) then why would it be any surprise that Microsoft ( the company that most of the governments and the world's PCs run an OS of ) would be working with them?

Not to mention, it doesn't take a conspiracy minded person to draw lines of reason as to why technological companies wouldn't want to work with the governments in which it's products operate within. That's just good business and despite not having the direct favors you'd expect, they do benefit tremendiously indirectly, you know inside that " plausible deniability " sector.

Sadly if we the people don't start thinking about ourselves more and working with one another ever increasingly to protect our rights and create technology that safeguards those rights, we are not going to have the future we even could see from today.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: galien8 i didn't really like the video so much because it didn't do enough research as when it made its self of dos to ibn that made there company take off it was owned by someone else and they didn't own it and they didn't design it they bought it from developer after they already signed a deal for it to be put in all ibm pcs. windows was not created by microsoft the interface program was designed by xerox who had no use for it then given to steve jobs who tweaked it and loaded it into his apple computers as lisa named after his daughter. steve wanted a version of dos for his computers and asked bill gates and microsft to help and so he sent a couple of his apples with lisa installed a few months later ibm was announcing a computer with a new interface system windows steve jobs immediately recognized it was lisa.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined

we are not going to have the future we even could see from today.

We are going to have nice communistic plan economy, a by big brother is watching you directed and managed plan (internet) economy, than actually microsoft people are DAMN COMMIES!!!! ...
edit on 2017-1-1 by galien8 because: typo

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

YES!!!! IBM / microsoft deal was called "the crime of the century" because microsoft kept copyrights on the MS-DOS OS only sold licenses to IBM.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Its funny that they say it so full of spyware when you can recompile it in a streamlined form since it was practically given away at one time. how do you think they came up with XP pro? they slimmed down XP. Also yes using "god mode" and system processes tab will let you turn off any spying there is. just click disable on the various things to do so.

Also turn off automated updates and the ability to remote access.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

It's incredible to me that Microsoft is profitable. It is plausible to me, that back door government spyware is a big part of profitiablity. Why do Russia and China virtually outlaw it?

Their MS10 is horrible. Its made by a bunch of $$sholes with Asberger's. It's filled with advertising and like every OS since 3.1, makes the user experience secondary, If there is a way to make it intuitive or provide multiple ways to accomplish something, they choose to try and sell training instead. The users productivity is NOT their object.

I have it on my wife's computer. It stinks. When I tried to install it over MS7(after months of harassment) on mine, it blew up. There wasn't any real support to fix it. I switched to Linux. Its not been a perfect solution, but the price is right. I even finally made a donation. My biggest issue is there are several software suites that won't run on it.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: UMayBRite!
Their MS10 is horrible. Its made by a bunch of $$sholes with Asberger's.

Idiotic comments like this, coupled with the fact that you don't even seem to know the name of the OS you're bitching about, just make you look like a troll.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: UMayBRite!

Microsoft makes like 2b a year on android alone, patents are part of microsoft portfolio and everything that reads FAT file format, for example, has to pay a royalty to Microsoft. Commercial licences (the one business pay) are half of microsoft source of income, personal licences are about 20%.

Business cannot change easily to other OS, they are basically stuck with microsoft either they like the os or not. And everyone that use a microsoft patent have to pay a licence or face lawsuits.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Its funny that they say it so full of spyware when you can recompile it in a streamlined form since it was practically given away at one time. how do you think they came up with XP pro? they slimmed down XP. Also yes using "god mode" and system processes tab will let you turn off any spying there is. just click disable on the various things to do so.

Also turn off automated updates and the ability to remote access.

Remote desktop "support" is the key
And I forgot to add it is completely free. Thanks for that.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
And let us not forget the mandate to all OS and application producers from 1980 something. The Fed mandate all software manufactured HAS to contain open ports for government access.That is the reason for "security" updates. As the hackers find these ports , those port numbers must be changed .

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

While I agree that most of the software on that list is garbage, several of the items are kept alive because they are still making money off them.

Silverlight used to be "the thing" for a good chunk of the tech world. The reason it's still alive? People haven't officially got off it yet.

Same goes for Vista - Windows 10. I'm not a fan of having Windows 10 at all (For some reason, Windows 10 will kill the WIFI on my router every 30 minutes, and my Linux Mint box doesn't). The problem here isn't so much that they want to collect data, but that Microsoft for the likes of them, cannot figure out how to create a product that will convince people to upgrade.

Right now, "cloud" is the hot buzzword that all Tech companies are striving for. OneDrive, Azure, Office 365, and even Windows 10 (yes, Windows 10 even has a mode where your Username/Password is controlled by a Microsoft Live Account...On the internet) are all built to fit under that umbrella. While I'm not a fan of them, they are not "debacles" because:

1. Companies like that the data is not stored on their own network drives (Why waste precious space internally when Microsoft offers space for mere dollars a month? (OneDrive)

2. Why bother taking up space on a user's PC to load a bulky, bloated office suite when we can pay Microsoft to not only host our office suite and files, but also keep the software up-to-date and in charge if something breaks? (Office 365)

3. In these times, Developers often need multiple environments to develop/test out their code. Normally, this would involve creating multiple virtual machines, installing all the software in each, and praying your sourcecode boots up in each one. Why not make the process easier, and make these Environments available over the web, from home, work, or away?

I'm speaking from experience - my company is one of those that's going down the cloud computing route. We jumped on the Silverlight bandwagon, and now, most of the stuff is cloud-based, using the products listed as "problems".

-fossilera

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: UMayBRite!

It's incredible to me that Microsoft is profitable.

I think they are cooking the books

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Also yes using "god mode" and system processes tab will let you turn off any spying there is.

Can be dummy options: check boxes and radio buttons, trick software like in VWs

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
And let us not forget the mandate to all OS and application producers from 1980 something. The Fed mandate all software manufactured HAS to contain open ports for government access.That is the reason for "security" updates. As the hackers find these ports , those port numbers must be changed .

Interesting! But are there not only 2^15 = 32,768 ports? Or so? Is it so hard to scan them all? Takes so many time?

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

...To enjoy each day to the fullest live each day as if it were your last...

...but financially plan for tomorrow

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera

While I agree that most of the software on that list is garbage, several of the items are kept alive because they are still making money off them.

Silverlight used to be "the thing" for a good chunk of the tech world. The reason it's still alive? People haven't officially got off it yet.

I agree.
This is true of a great deal of software, Java and Flash to name a couple should of died out a long time ago, considering better alternatives but we're still stuck with them.

Not the consumers fault, we're sadly forced to use them by companies. Game developers still use Java for their games despite it being terrible for "3D" gaming, mostly due to the memory leaks and poor optimisation that have plagued it forever. If you want to use Netflix you need Silverlight.
"We cannot say those suck, let me use HTML 5 or C++" because there is no option to do so.

At least if people have an issue with Microsoft they can always switch over to Linux or Apple OS etc.

If people do have other options and don't use them they can hardly complain. (But will anyway.)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: fossilera

tell you how to stop the wifi disconnect. Power management console. and manually configuring your networking and your hardware you use to connect to the internet. power saving mode might be a issue too.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Right click go to properties and change the compatibility to windows xp. Works for me almost every time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join