It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft kept artificially alive must cost tax payers a fortune

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: fossilera
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

Sadly, on my end we're in the boat where we fully adopted a technology and only now, after Microsoft made it official that they were killing off said product years before, did we realize it was a horrible idea.

This happens in business all the time though. When it comes time to implement a project you make a choice based on what's best at the time. All software has a lifecycle though and eventually you're going to hit a point where you're stuck with an old technology, and a myriad of expensive issues to maintain that technology, or you're going to be forced to upgrade.

Say what you will about cloud based services, but I think they make a lot of business sense. To me, cloud based systems are the mass catastrophe events of the digital world. Using them basically removes liability from the end user, and instead the only problem is if the cloud is inaccessible or hacked. But, well trained professionals are in place to prevent that scenario as much as possible. Much more so than if you tried to do things individually.

I actually have a bit of a detailed business plan, to get a real game studio off the ground, on the cheap, and producing one day once I finish my endless schooling. One day I plan to open my own studio. In my software section it's all cloud based options (some of which don't exist yet). There's a lot you can do with it.

This is the Microsoft hate thread, but I have no hate for them. I resent the advertising they pump into Windows 10, but their products are very good, and world changing.

In computing, things change. About two years ago I was doing some freelance work for a storage business. Their whole business was saved in a 1995 microsoft works spreadsheet. It was my job to update that to an actual access database, which I did. Sometimes you can do the same thing for 20 years, but when change is needed, it's time to change.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Interesting stuff in Microsoft's FY16 Q4 press release

----------------------------------------------------------------- June 30, 2016
Total cash, cash equivalents, and short-term investments $113.24billion

Nice nest egg, and this bit will be interesting to Microsoft users and gamers:-

· Devices revenue decreased $782 million or 35%, mainly due to lower revenue from phones, driven by the change in strategy for the phone business, offset in part by higher Surface revenue. Phone revenue decreased $870 million or 71%, driven by a reduction in volume of phones sold. Surface revenue increased $76 million or 9%, primarily driven by the release of Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book in the second quarter of fiscal year 2016, offset in part by a decline in revenue from Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3.

· Gaming revenue decreased $152 million or 9%, primarily due to lower Xbox hardware revenue, offset in part by higher revenue from Xbox Live. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 33%, mainly due to a decline in consoles sold and lower prices of consoles sold. Xbox Live revenue increased 4%, driven by higher volume of transactions and revenue per transaction.

· Search advertising revenue increased $514 million or 54%. Search advertising revenue, excluding traffic acquisition costs, increased 16%, primarily driven by growth in Bing, due to higher revenue per search and higher search volume.

· Windows revenue increased slightly, mainly due to higher revenue from Windows OEM, offset in part by lower revenue from patent licensing. Windows OEM revenue increased 11%. Windows OEM non-Pro revenue grew 27%, outperforming the consumer PC market, driven by a higher mix of premium licenses sold. Windows OEM Pro revenue grew 2%, reflecting a stabilizing commercial PC market and a higher mix of business PCs sold with Windows Pro. Patent licensing revenue decreased 21%, due to a decline in licensed units and license revenue per unit. Windows revenue included an unfavorable foreign currency impact of approximately 3%.

www.microsoft.com...

edit on 3/1/2017 by Lucas73 because: adding spaces so things line up

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: galien8

Wow...you know if I went to an S&T forum where something like this were brought up and taken seriously I would never visit that forum again because, that is literally a bunch of BS!!!

Please explain how exactly Microsoft Violates the 10 Commandments????

Based of course upon the opinion of the,"Liaison of THE ARCHITECT of our Universe Simulation".
seriously????
edit on 3-1-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

Please explain how exactly Microsoft Violates the 10 Commandments????

Based of course upon the opinion of the,"Liaison of THE ARCHITECT of our Universe Simulation".

I can't I have a case including microsoft's violations against the 10 Commandments, at AIVD (Dutch secret service) and Nationale Ombudsman (kind of lawyer for Dutch citizens processing against the government)

www.aivd.nl...

www.nationaleombudsman.nl...
edit on 2017-1-3 by galien8 because: typo

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucas73

OK on "paper" it looks good, one would need a whole lot of bonafide accountants and bookkepers, to check the facts, with bonafide I mean trustworthy and honest people

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Wow but I really do not care actually.

The way I see it is you came to an S&T forum. Complained about the Microsoft program and when I stood up to the fact that what your were saying made no sense. Stated that this has to do with the fact you feel that Microsoft has violated the ten commandments as in the Old Testament in relation to the Bible. So you cannot respond to the fact you are certain this makes perfect sense because you have essentially filed a court case respective to the issue of why Microsoft has violated the ten commandments with the Dutch Government?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Microsoft brought us the World, and is slowly taking it all away.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Neith
Nah.
I was using DOS to telnet way back when.

Oh wait. That was Microsoft! AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGH!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Thou shalt not steal ... is pretty obvious.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The problem you seem to have is that the very same computers that were capable of describing Dark Matter in the 80's, we considered classified in the 60's. So scientist, the type of scientist. That in the 60's did not have access to technology that presented the existence of Dark Matter, did not have access to the data until the 90's.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai
Computers don't describe anything.
People program them to simulate things.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

One could apply the same logic to the European Invasion of the Western Hemisphere.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

In this case the computers simulated that without Dark matter the Milky Way would not exist.

(post by galien8 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I won't use Windows anymore too dicey for me.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Neith

A:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join