It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern American 'Racism'---- Does Calling People Racist Work Anymore?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

No , did Anyone Ever Listen to Chicken Little ?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

To say that racism doesn't exist or its over used is really your ignorance to a situation that has never gone away in America. Luckily being from California I get to see the world through a rare bubble because I visit much of the east and south so I can tell you there is a difference in the people.

Have you ever been followed by the police or pulled over some many times you've literally lost count 20+ with one ticket to show for it. Have you been offered a job then another person walks in looks at you proceeds to whisper in the hiring managers ear and 5 minutes later your offer gets rescinded. Have you ever been hand cuffed put in the back of a police cruiser for the cop saying my car smelled like weed tore apart my whole car couldn't find anything and just let me go? It wasn't all white either its been Asian Mexican as well so white people don't have to feel like they are always under attack.

So instead of trying to label someone without understanding them is ignorance stop being ignorant and spreading news like saying someone's racist doesn't mean anything. If you hate someone for no other reason then their skin that's racism not what people deem racism is.

If you hate someone for their skin that's something you gotta live with not me cuz all races will always be around better get used to it...

That's right all my international student friends from the middle east yo Germany all my illegal Mexican friends don't forget the fobby Asians😃😃😃 shout out to my island brothas and the homies from Africa

edit on 3-12-2016 by TheTruthBruhh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Does calling people racist work anymore?

How is calling someone a racist supposed to work?

You are supposed to be able to call someone racist and win the argument whatever that may be. When you use the term "Racist" the person who this is targeted is supposed to go on the defensive and explain why they are not racist, thus the conversation is changed / won. This also applies to other terms such as Bigot, what-ever-phobe, etc. (But, But, I have (black, gay, Hispanic whatever friends non-sense, this is the tactic to shut you up)

It seems only young people give a crap anymore. Everyone else over 40 generally rolls their eyes, says OK, or laughs with a "whatever" and continues on with the debate.

Laughing at them seems to be quite effective followed by a "so, you cannot debate a real issue and rely on that lame ass racist / bigot line when you know you are wrong.. good for you mental midget, that lame s#hit doesn't work anymore".

edit on 3-12-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The word has the same power it always had, look at ats and how people react when one post it or calls someone else racist.

But personnaly i think most people these days are more ignorant that racist, education has evolved alot in the past 50 years.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

It fails or makes people actually racist just because they get exhausted of being called racist. But it doesn't even make them racist, just makes them hate people who call them as such. Sorry if that isn't very coherent.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Racism is alive and well - as judged by people's behavior and speech. And each instance of bigoted speech and behavior needs to be decried.

You can choose to decry "bigotry" but just because 1 group or individual claims something to be bigoted does not necessarily make it so, especially these days where everything is labeled to be bigotry and racist. On top of that it is peoples right to be bigoted. It is your right to decry it , it is others right to be a bigot, it is no ones right to attempt to oppress either.

THAT is free speech.

White people/men of all colors don't often see their own biases and hence mistakenly believe they don't have them - nothing could be further from the truth.

As do black people or any other race. My family is black 90% of them very level headed and they dont play this victim race game but i see a lot of black people who fail to see beyond their own biases and are racist towards whites, latino's , asians and believe it or not AFRICANS. For some reason the afro american community discriminates towards Africans. for sure libarals will deny this right of the bat without knowing a ounce about this, most likely the "i *sneeze rainbows" white liberals but the truth of the matter remains the some nonetheless and i have seen it happen first hand for years.

LOL - perhaps I should have 'phrased' my self better. I am white and older and know, without doubt I have prejudices towards certain groups of people that I have developed over time. Partially taught by family and by my own limited experiences; among those groups are Koreans, White Supremists/nationals, Lawyers, Armenians among others.

But I know I have these prejudices and do my best not to 'project' my sh*t onto others by my actions or my speech. And, as pointed out, I failed this time. My failure is incentive to work harder to see each person and each situation afresh without letting my prejudices control my perception.

I tend to think the solutions to perceived problems starts and ends inside of each of us. That we truly are indivdually responsible for the state of the world.

I didn't vote or trump or clinton but I still have a certain moral/spiritual responsiblity for what the collective has decided. I know that many would rather put the blame on others but I try not to do so as I find that I"M not free when I do so.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthBruhh

In the late 1990's I took the police physical exam and had a black cadet who was an administrator ask me why I was there. I told him to take the test. He replied, we are only looking for black recruits, but go ahead.

I have had my a$$ kicked by a couple of black young men for being in their "neighborhood".

And during college I worked fast food so I saw all the greatest hits our wonderful world of the public can offer.

And if I see a police officer coming up behind me I turn off at the next street, no need to give anymore of a chance to pull me over than necessary.

So I don't cry when I hear the stories, cause if you have lived at all you will have your own.
edit on 3-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Firstly for someone to say they are only looking for black cadets is a pretty crazy considering it was for being a cop which could easily have had him repremanded..

Being in the wrong neighborhood has little to do with race and more to do with territory I being black know that certain neighborhoods you simply don't even drive past just like anywhere else on earth...

So when you say public being terrible well we can both agree on that

If it was that easy everyone would do it the simple fact your response to that is that I simply should make a right turn I will surely get pulled over because they take it as a way to get out... I'm not saying cops are racist I have myself been let off on a few tickets thats not the intention just that racial divides continue to exist in this world.

Not all of it is racism but to tell people to stop crying about it is just plain lack of empathy and understanding of another peoples hardship...

Everyone has different levels of struggle but can't deny if you are white, good looking with everything else being even the white person will get the job 9 of 10 times the white person is going to get the job or the pay raise...

Don't say its bs because I have a lot of educated family bachelors and masters degree alike who constantly face discrimination in their corporate work place where they are sector managers and project managers

They still make less and do more than all their white counterparts no if can explain that instead dog thinking we are all crying I'd love hear it

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTruthBruhh

I can tell you that I had the police exam. I also had a fireman exam and the department was looking for women to fill the quotas, and that was state mandated. I didn't like it, but what can you do about affirmative A? We are talking about the 1990s.

And when I say I don't cry when I hear these stories, I say that with all the best intentions.

Crying will not get your foot in the door, and it also will not get the job done.

So you can feel sorry for yourself and say that the other guy is getting the raise, or the promotion because of this physical feature or that physical feature. But at some point you will have to come to the conclusion that it may very well be you that is the problem.

I am a fairly successful person. And you want to know what make a person successful.

Never giving up.

Someone says your stupid, don't give up. Someone says it is a bad idea, and you know it is a good one, (business idea) do it. And if someone doesn't give you the you the pay that your worth, go get the job that you deserve.
edit on 3-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I am white and older and know, without doubt I have prejudices towards certain groups of people that I have developed over time. Partially taught by family and by my own limited experiences; among those groups are Koreans, White Supremists/nationals, Lawyers, Armenians among others.

Then that is your problem with being a racist! Why project your problem on every other person who is white?

The only people I am prejudice towards are those who disrespect the rule of law and view others on the color of ones skin rather than the morality of their character!

Sorry, but identity politics has become the new form of racism based upon politics becoming a religion! Imagine racists being witches of the Puritan age of abolishing those who are different?

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think that we've reached a point in time where when there is an argument/debate between people on the left and people on the right the left always labels the right racist.

If you say anything that is not PC you are immediately labeled as a racist, even if you are factually correct.

When the left can't think of anything bad to say about you they just label you as racist, sexist and homophobic

However, this has gone on so long now that the labels no longer have the impact that they used to. So when you hear a left wing politician labeling a right wing politician, and they start using the standard labels, you know they are grasping at straws

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

Well said, it seems since the Clinton era the calling people racist was the trick to get their opposition to shut up.
And it worked. Trump broke their play book. I shudder to think what comes next.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I aHOPE it doesn't work anymore because While people need to stop it with the self torture of white guilt. Whites are responsible for the Western world we love in and I'm damn proud of them.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The only thing you really need to understand is that a "racist" is anyone who doesn't agree with the PC alt-left world we live in. When someone claims they are "frightened by your whiteness" you learn who the real racists are.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTruthBruhh
a reply to: everyone

To say that racism doesn't exist or its over used is really your ignorance to a situation that has never gone away in America. Luckily being from California I get to see the world through a rare bubble because I visit much of the east and south so I can tell you there is a difference in the people.

Tell that to my entire black family who also do not agree with you person from california..

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

Racism is alive and well - as judged by people's behavior and speech. And each instance of bigoted speech and behavior needs to be decried.

You can choose to decry "bigotry" but just because 1 group or individual claims something to be bigoted does not necessarily make it so, especially these days where everything is labeled to be bigotry and racist. On top of that it is peoples right to be bigoted. It is your right to decry it , it is others right to be a bigot, it is no ones right to attempt to oppress either.

THAT is free speech.

White people/men of all colors don't often see their own biases and hence mistakenly believe they don't have them - nothing could be further from the truth.

As do black people or any other race. My family is black 90% of them very level headed and they dont play this victim race game but i see a lot of black people who fail to see beyond their own biases and are racist towards whites, latino's , asians and believe it or not AFRICANS. For some reason the afro american community discriminates towards Africans. for sure libarals will deny this right of the bat without knowing a ounce about this, most likely the "i *sneeze rainbows" white liberals but the truth of the matter remains the some nonetheless and i have seen it happen first hand for years.

LOL - perhaps I should have 'phrased' my self better. I am white and older and know, without doubt I have prejudices towards certain groups of people that I have developed over time.

That is your own personal problem, i wish you the best with it but lets stop pretending that everyone is like you.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
No it doesn't work. I remember when it first started coming into phase. Around 1995 or so. Even then, with those I dealt with that noted all opposition as racist or Hitlers that sooner or later people would grow tired of that nonsense and start saying, "so what? if you think I am racist then go ahead and think that, I don't give a #."

Now its to the point where it is almost totally reversing where if you do that on line and in the real world people ignore you. On top of that whether an SJW type realizes it or not, the vast majority of people make fun of you behind your back. It's getting to where even a plurality of black people make fun of you behind your back.

I suppose with the exception of bigger cities in the US or maybe western europe.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Modern American 'Racism'---- Does Calling People Racist Work Anymore?

If, by 'work', you mean providing an uncomfortable mirror for someone who is, at that time in their lives, open to a bit of honest self-reflection and change for the higher/better, and inspiring 'recovery', then I'd say that where and when the seed sprouts is of no concern to me, I plants 'em as I must. *__-

edit on 4-12-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

What a lazy and ineffective mentality.

Rather than address the substance of the OP, your default is to attack the source. Even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Racism exists. In fact, I've seen it nearly every place I have visited in the world. But calling a racist a racist is hardly an effective strategy to combat it. Moreover, calling someone racist who in fact is NOT a racist does far more damage to the issue than good. It builds resentment and diminishes support for the fight against the actual problem. If I'm unjustly called a thing, trust me, my interest in opposing you supersedes any interest I might have had in joining you against the general issue itself.

When words lose their precise meaning or become oxymoronic in their accepted usage, one complicates effective discussion and solutions to any real problem.

Personally, I don't care if someone's beliefs can be labeled racist, in the same way that I don't care in what version of God (or the absence thereof) you believe in...or your favorite color...etc. What I do care about is whether your ACTIONS unjustly impact the rights of others. That is my priority.

Over the last 50 years or so, the concept of recognizing institutionalized racism took flight in this country and elsewhere. But rather than focusing on effective laws and policy to address its abuses, attention went to the perceived 'source' of the problem. It became a priority to attack individual beliefs, and in so doing, particularly because such a broad brush was used, and because of the ridiculous rise in the belief that a person's race (whites, in particular) made them inherently racist, all meaningful progress on the issue effectively ceased.

Law enforcement abuses and corruption is bad for everyone. Employment discrimination on the basis of race, religion or sexual orientation is bad for everyone. All Lives Matter. Etc, etc, etc...

If whites ceased to exist, there would still be racism in the world.

Maybe we should stop complaining that water is wet, and spend a little more time figuring out how to keep dry.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: underwerks

What a lazy and ineffective mentality.

Rather than address the substance of the OP, your default is to attack the source. Even a broken clock is right two times a day.

Racism exists. In fact, I've seen it nearly every place I have visited in the world. But calling a racist a racist is hardly an effective strategy to combat it. Moreover, calling someone racist who in fact is NOT a racist does far more damage to the issue than good. It builds resentment and diminishes support for the fight against the actual problem. If I'm unjustly called a thing, trust me, my interest in opposing you supersedes any interest I might have had in joining you against the general issue itself.

When words lose their precise meaning or become oxymoronic in their accepted usage, one complicates effective discussion and solutions to any real problem.

Personally, I don't care if someone's beliefs can be labeled racist, in the same way that I don't care in what version of God (or the absence thereof) you believe in...or your favorite color...etc. What I do care about is whether your ACTIONS unjustly impact the rights of others. That is my priority.

Over the last 50 years or so, the concept of recognizing institutionalized racism took flight in this country and elsewhere. But rather than focusing on effective laws and policy to address its abuses, attention went to the perceived 'source' of the problem. It became a priority to attack individual beliefs, and in so doing, particularly because such a broad brush was used, and because of the ridiculous rise in the belief that a person's race (whites, in particular) made them inherently racist, all meaningful progress on the issue effectively ceased.

Law enforcement abuses and corruption is bad for everyone. Employment discrimination on the basis of race, religion or sexual orientation is bad for everyone. All Lives Matter. Etc, etc, etc...

If whites ceased to exist, there would still be racism in the world.

Maybe we should stop complaining that water is wet, and spend a little more time figuring out how to keep dry.

The source is a pile of BS. It'd be intellectually lazy to run with it and try to make a point, but you don't see that because you agree with it. Which is the biggest problem with fake news like the OP posts 10 times every day.

Look at some of my past posts and tell me I think racism doesn't exist.

Fake news is fake news, and it will continue to be called out whether you believe in it or not.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join