It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Prison Stocks Surge After Donald Trump Victory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Why Trump’s support for private prisons and mass incarceration should worry you
www.rawstory.com...

“I do think we can do a lot of privatizations, and private prisons it seems to work a lot better,” said Trump when asked how he planned to reform the country’s prison system.

The incarceration rate in the U.S. is the highest in the world with approximately 716 per 100,000 people ending up behind bars. An even more sobering statistic is that while America represents about 4.4 percent of the world’s population, it houses around 22 percent of the world’s prisoners.

Private prisons usually take advantage of legalized bribery and team up with lobbying groups like ALEC to push for “tough on crime” legislation, including the draconian war on drugs, three strikes laws, mandatory minimums, and non-parole sentences. These aren’t laws designed to keep the country safe, but they are meant to keep a steady flow of prisoners into these facilities so the corporations behind them can turn a massive profit.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Stock prices for the country’s two largest private prison contractors skyrocketed Wednesday after GOP nominee Donald Trump claimed victory in the U.S. presidential election.

The largest private prison contractor, CoreCivic ― which recently changed its name from Corrections Corporation of America ― saw its stock shoot up by more than 58 percent shortly after morning trading began.

Stocks for the second largest contractor, GEO Group, rose by more than 28 percent. Over the next few hours of trading, both stocks came down somewhat from those peaks, but remained strong.

The private prison industry was crashing — until Donald Trump’s victory
www.washingtonpost.com...

Only two months ago the private prison industry was reeling. The Justice Department had announced a plan to end the use of the private facilities for its federal inmates. Stocks of the corrections companies nosedived.

In the hours after Trump’s victory, the U.S.’s two largest private prison companies, CoreCivic and the Geo Group, saw their stocks soar like few others on Wall Street. Shares of CoreCivic, known until last month as Corrections Corporation of America, jumped 43 percent Wednesday and maintained those gains on Thursday.

The Obama Administration recently announced it would wind down federal contracts with Privately run prisons.

The Trump administration vehemently has said they will reverse this and can do so easily by simply re-extending those contracts.

Combine this with his pick of Jeff Sessions for AG...Who fiercely advocates for the war on drugs and is a strong opponent of marijuana legalization?
What Jeff Sessions Could Mean for Legal Marijuana
www.nytimes.com...

Interested in thoughts of ATS members.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

A good amount of stocks were up and have been up since the election concluded, some sectors much higher than this. There is an overall bull market right now and I think focusing on this one industry (which I am personally against) is a bit of cherry picking in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I don't particularly care for private prisons..a lot of corners are cut and their turnover rates seem to be higher than federal/state prisons..yes the state and federal do make more but you get what you pay for.

I thought the United States was trying to phase private prisons out?

As an aside many stocks jumped after a day or two so I'm wondering how much money did they actually increase to as compared to a year or two ago?

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

A good amount of stocks were up and have been up since the election concluded, some sectors much higher than this. There is an overall bull market right now and I think focusing on this one industry (which I am personally against) is a bit of cherry picking in my opinion.

Nope...This is not even close to cherry picking...

Private Prisons were hammered when the Obama Administration announced they were going to cease using them.

President elect Trump has been vocal that he is a fan of Private Prisons..

And it only takes a signature on a contract to reverse Pres. Obama's policy.

Thus Private Prison stocks surging...and no...a 58% jump in a couple days is not due to the stock market doing well.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

I don't particularly care for private prisons..a lot of corners are cut and their turnover rates seem to be higher than federal/state prisons..yes the state and federal do make more but you get what you pay for.

I thought the United States was trying to phase private prisons out?

Yes...The Obama Administration announced phasing private prisons out.

President Elect Trump feels just the opposite and has expressed his intent to expand Private Prisons..

This isn't conspiracy...It is stated policy.

Trump win breathes life into the private prison industry
www.rawstory.com...

You also have an Attorney General appointed (Jeff Sessions) who is the biggest fan of the war on drugs in Congress...and a fierce opponent to legalization of marijuana.
edit on 27-11-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
You can count on private prison stock to go up regardless of who presides in the oval office. Its a business, with lots of product. Do we see more or less poverty and crime, more and more laws and more misdemeanors turned into felonies?

Its in their 'interest' to raise the crime rate and incarcerate more people for longer periods for lesser and lesser crimes.

If prisoners had to work off the cost of their incarceration there'd be less prisons. As long as the gubment guarantees your tax dollars to pay for incarceration, theres no limit to how big this industry will grow.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

You can count on private prison stock to go up regardless of who presides in the oval office.

Not at all...Obama had announced ending the use of Private Prisons...Trump's policy is expanding the use of Private Prisons.

Obama administration to end use of private prisons
www.foxnews.com...

Private Prison Stocks Skyrocket Following Donald Trump's Election Win
www.complex.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

Obama was going to close Guantanamo too, and end the war in Afghanistan.

I don't believe anything coming from the main stream news saying they are going to do this or that. Especially when 'they ' say that he says he's going to do something.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If there's any truth to 'ol Donnies stop and frisk fantasies that will be a field day for prisons. Private and otherwise. All paid for by every other citizen.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Crap!
I better learn how to stop chewing gum and walking at the same time?

/sarcasm?

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

Obama was going to close Guantanamo too.

You must be aware that he was prevented from fully doing that by the GOP in congress forbidding him from doing so.

Despite that he managed to reduce the prisoner population there by something like 80%.

Are you aware that Donald Trump has said he would like to fill Guantanamo back to capacity..and would include US citizens accused of terrorism there as well?

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

You can count on private prison stock to go up regardless of who presides in the oval office.

Not at all...Obama had announced ending the use of Private Prisons...Trump's policy is expanding the use of Private Prisons.

www.foxnews.com...

Private Prison Stocks Skyrocket Following Donald Trump's Election Win
www.complex.com...

Can you source anything about Trump wanting to expand private prisons? All I've been able to find is that he's okay with them and wants to use them.

I'll also point out two things: private prison company stocks have returned to, essentially, pre-August levels. August being when the DOJ announced their plan to reduce or eliminate the use of private prisons. The DOJ never said they were going to completely and totally eliminate the use, which is the slant you're putting on it. They only committed to reducing the use of.

And none of that impacts the use of private prisons for immigration-related inmates, which as near as I can figure absolutely nothing was going to be done about that.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Privatized prisons offer no benefit except to the people that financially profit from them. That should be the first sign. Locking people in cages shouldn't be a profitable business.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

is a bit of cherry picking in my opinion.

No, it's a warning about something bad that may happen. I'm sure we will see a lot more of the corruption that has been in this industry now that they have been given the green light.

Big Business will do all sorts of nasty and corrupt things now that they know one of their buddies is in power again.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Ain't it like a triple edged sword having the house and senate also republican?

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
Private Prisons were hammered when the Obama Administration announced they were going to cease using them.

President elect Trump has been vocal that he is a fan of Private Prisons..

Yet there is no stated policy on them.

And it only takes a signature on a contract to reverse Pres. Obama's policy.

Again, there is no stated intention to reverse this, if and when it happens it will be a different story.

Thus Private Prison stocks surging...and no...a 58% jump in a couple days is not due to the stock market doing well.

There are other issues that were up well over 50% in the wake of the election besides private prisons. Globus was up 190%, Seanergy was up 60% and Diana Container was up 110%.

edit on 27-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

ALL stocks surged after Donald Trump was elected.
Where the SHEOL have you been ?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Are you aware that Donald Trump has said he would like to fill Guantanamo back to capacity..and would include US citizens accused of terrorism there as well?

Good. Start with the whole gubment...

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

They're anticipating a flood of new customers...exactly how many members does the democrat party have anyway?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Better to see stocks go up rather than go down.

Doesn't matter which stocks it is.

That is the way the stock market works.

Up = good

Down = bad....

BUT SINCE TRUMPS NAME IS THROWN IN............. OMG IT IS SO BAD WE ARE DOOMED...PRIVATE PRISON STOCKS ARE GOING UP...

Save the women and children.....run for the hills.

Or simply wait until the market corrects itself... it will eventually.
edit on R292016-11-28T08:29:06-06:00k2911Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join