It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake News Just For Right-Wingers: A Huge Industry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is so real it hurts. And you all ATS people need to know about it. If you believe all the sites so often linked on here you need to be aware of what they are feeding you.

Yes - it IS A CONSPIRACY - and it's making fiction writers who publish absolute FALSE, made-up stories RICH. Because of YOU!

YOU are making them rich.

Fake news network 'tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.'

During the last three months before the election, most “news” passed along in Facebook was completely fabricated by groups who profit by passing along ads attached to fiction.

This isn’t a matter of biased sites like Fox, or even stories generated through lopsided editing, as is common on Breitbart. These are completely fictional stories that originate at sites made up to look like legitimate television or newspaper sources.

NPR took the time to track down the man behind one of these sites, and found that he’s actually at the hub of a “news network,” where every single story is 100% fiction.

Coler's company, Disinfomedia, owns many faux news sites — he won't say how many. ...

At any given time, Coler says, he has between 20 and 25 writers. And it was one of them who wrote the story in the Denver Guardian that an FBI agent who leaked Clinton emails was killed. Coler says that over 10 days the site got 1.6 million views. He says stories like this work because they fit into existing right-wing conspiracy theories.

And you know how much you hate us liberals who keep trying to tell you you're being duped?

Well, we're actually trying to DENY IGNORANCE. But many of you just aren't having any of it.

It’s proven easy to create stories that reinforce right-wing memes and generate huge numbers by playing to existing assumptions, but it’s not exactly a both-sides-do-it situation.

“We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.”

I hate to say this, but I'm really, honestly, trying to fish this site out of the putrid muck of the peat bog called "media"....to restore to it some sanity. Hopefully the owner will recognize that even though he is making a living off of this site, which I have no problem at all with ---- it is sad that it does it by allowing DISINFORMATION in the gate at all. MOST of the stories that have been published about politics since this summer are LIES.

Coler and his cohorts show that if anything Fox, O’Keefe and company simply think too much of their audience.

There’s no need to work that hard. There’s no need to ground “alt right” arguments in any reality.

The audience is already so convinced of their inherent superiority that you can feed them anything, so long as it agrees with their pre-existing hatred.

[Coler] was amazed at how quickly fake news could spread and how easily people believe it.

Just saying. So you all know. In case you didn't. Certainly anyone who's been here for more than a few months should be aware of it by now, but in case you are still in denial:

It's fake.
Choose your sources wisely. And stop attacking the people who are trying to help you see real reality. Don't be ignorant.
edit on 11/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: CLARITY

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Yet another thread painting yourself as intellectually superior, a martyr, and right all at once. Why debate actual points when you can just say the source is fake and dismiss it outright? Only one set of "facts" matter, and that's the one you're pushing.

This whole "fake news" thing is really a godsend for the liberals right now, isn't it?

Now if you could just do away with that pesky electoral college, eh?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Yet another thread painting yourself as intellectually superior, a martyr, and right all at once. Why debate actual points when you can just say the source is fake and dismiss it outright? Only one set of "facts" matter, and that's the one you're pushing.

This whole "fake news" thing is really a godsend for the liberals right now, isn't it?

Now if you could just do away with that pesky electoral college, eh?

So no comments on the topic then?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Read the article. If you still don't want to believe it, then don't.

At least I know I'm not delusional.

A "martyr"? Take a few deep breaths. The article is not about me. The OP is not about me. It's about people being conned by liars. If you are one of them, then own it. It's not my fault.
edit on 11/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I usually knows when i read fake news... trusted bbc in my younger days. Well pissed when i found out.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Diminishing the credibility of alternative news one fake news item at a time.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Idk, HuffPost is way bigger than any of these right wing outlets. I'd say the left is still the Masters of fake news.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's all such a farce. Both sides gobble up the garbage and we all become more divided because of it.

The world is insane. Left/right. It's all the same. Control.

Consume, sleep . . . sleep . . .

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Huff post, occupy Democrats, vox, buzzfeed.. All liberal fake news sites.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Hillary broke OPSEC laws. Anyone who has dealt with sensitive information is well aware of it. It does not matter if a contributor to her campaign with no grandkids and who does not play golf agrees with it or not. Hillary broke the law. Says so in the NDA she forgot she signed with a witness present who is now blacked out on the form.

People were pissed. Go talk to ANYONE in the military and they will say the same thing. She broke OPSEC laws. Whatever Comey or Lynch said is irrelevant when it comes to voting. People generally know she is a criminal. Those in the know absolutely know it.

It is one of the main reasons she lost. She broke the law then lied, then Comey and Lynch tried to sell the public a broken pencil with no eraser.

General public finally had enough. They used the only power they had; their vote.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed
It's all such a farce. Both sides gobble up the garbage and we all become more divided because of it.

The world is insane. Left/right. It's all the same. Control.

Consume, sleep . . . sleep . . .

Absolutely. This is about the third iteration of this story I've come across, each time the statement that liberals don't fall for fake news, each time it's equally absurd.

People love their confirmation bias.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So the people claiming that all news agencies with an opposing point of view, while spreading lies and propaganda themselves, are calling things "fake news"?

Couldn't make this up.

We can't even know the interview is real. It may be a total fabrication. Nothing can be believed anymore.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well, is it the Russians again? Nope. Just people hoping against hope that they can stir up enough skepticism to blunt the impact of the pedophile ring revelations. Keep at it---keep telling us we are too stupid to be able to use our discernment. Keep telling us that the smoke billowing around these issues is really just fog. Keep your eyes shut tightly and listen ony to authorized sources for what you wish is true.
edit on 26-11-2016 by diggindirt because: spelling

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I feel like a parrot but dammit its true, this is the same people who claimed obama would be emperor, that he was a communist muslim dog eater.

At this point just let them fail on there own, it getting funnier by the day.

Now if we can get john stewart back on tv, my life couldent get any better.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I hate to say this, but I'm really, honestly, trying to fish this site out of the putrid muck of the peat bog called "media"....to restore to it some sanity. Hopefully the owner will recognize that even though he is making a living off of this site, which I have no problem at all with ---- it is sad that it does it by allowing DISINFORMATION in the gate at all. MOST of the stories that have been published about politics since this summer are LIES.

"Most" is pure hyperbole and you know it is.

The staff are volunteers and won't always have the time or the motivation to cross check every source that gets posted here. Neither do the owners. I've moved a few when they're obviously fake and so have other staff.

If members establish a source or story is 'fake news,' we'll happily move it to LOL or Hoax.

Otherwise, it's down to members to choose their sources more carefully and to raise their voices in threads when someone relies on the BS for an OP. Not everyone is good at spotting BS and not everyone cares if it's truthful or...full of truthiness.

It's not specifically a problem for this site as we're only a reflection of the wider political scene right now. Fake news is really popular these days and it's not being manufactured on this site, is it? It's embedded on FB and Twitter and out on the blog sites.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

And you'd be wrong.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
cnn-mtv-msnbc-fox-abc-bbc etc all fake newz, all fake prop-aganda. i pity people who watch the newz at 6pm and then act according to how they tell then to.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Shamrock6

Read the article. If you still don't want to believe it, then don't.

Its just fire for fire, fighting fire with fire. I would be pointing this out to if I had woken up as a lib to see how stupid I looked listening to all the lib propaganda news outlets.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I understand that. I am not blaming the mods, Kandinsky. I am NOT EVEN blaming the readers who think that obvious and known fake news is real. But now, after this all has been stripped down to what it is, and people are admitting that what they wrote was a lie, and things that never happened but were reported to have happened have actually resulted in legislation being introduced.....that is not good.

Once people are AWARE that their source is suspect, it's totally on them if they continue to believe it.

I don't expect every thread to be thrown out; I really don't expect anything, for that matter. (Civility and decorum aside).

And yes, I am talking to the ATS members who peddle these fake news sites in flurries of activity and refuse to even entertain the idea that their sources are feeding them lies. Isn't that what we're here to do?

Sorcha Faal was banned as a source. So was GLP. Why would ATS not want to dismiss all of the known disinfo sites as lies, in order to help people not be suckered into fake 'conspiracy theories' that get them so wound up?

I don't mean anything bad about anyone who works here....I just want people to understand they are not getting the true story from sites like PrisonPlanet, or WND, etc.

HuffPo and WaPo and FOX are all biased, yes. Bias is fine. LIES are not fine!
Where do we draw the line? If I like NPR, knowing it's a liberal-leaning site, that's my choice. If I like some site that is LYING TO ME, that's something else all together.

Bias is a far cry from deliberate lies.

edit on 11/26/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Because NPR isn't biased at all. And your "Source" Dailykos is a blog.

That's not your blog your trying to pass off as "News" is it?... Like some other members here have been caught doing?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join