It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says humanity only has 1000 years left

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

intelligent computers that will 'magically' develop consciousness before the end of the century.

When has he invoked magic in this conversation?

Also, are you suggesting AI will never be?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

He does make a fantastic point though, we do need to start spreading out into the galaxy like the cancer we are

So freakin true
If we destroy the ecology of this world , what will be the outcome of future colonization ?
We are not ready , nor do we deserve that chance.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

He believes that increasingly complex computers will become conscious at some point, though he can't explain why or how.

I would say that's a magical belief.

edit on 17.11.2016 by CJCrawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

intelligent computers that will 'magically' develop consciousness before the end of the century.

When has he invoked magic in this conversation?

Also, are you suggesting AI will never be?

AI , outside of PC and console game style , is 100s of years off. Sure , you can program AI but that means it is still a program
Do not get overly excited in recent announcements "on AI" . That is for us gamers to enjoy . And the AI is all about sensory stuff and 3d . Not about true Artificial Intelligence.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Gothmog,

The reason I bought it up, is because it is intellectually dishonest to claim that listening to one man is foolish, and another legitimate, when both have the precise same divergence of experience and expertise, when compared to the sphere into which they are commenting.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Knowledge of nature. Why does that not apply here. Your own definition remember.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Is anyone ever ready? So cos we aren't ready we much accept our fate and perish on this planet that can't sustain us. Do us a favour and remain behind while the rest of us venture out in the next chapter of the human race.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Gothmog,

The reason I bought it up, is because it is intellectually dishonest to claim that listening to one man is foolish, and another legitimate, when both have the precise same divergence of experience and expertise, when compared to the sphere into which they are commenting.

Listening to one man is worse than foolish.It is so close-mindedness , the mind is no longer open to new information

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
Knowledge of nature. Why does that not apply here. Your own definition remember.

Read again the definition
Next...

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew

Is anyone ever ready? So cos we aren't ready we much accept our fate and perish on this planet that can't sustain us. Do us a favour and remain behind while the rest of us venture out in the next chapter of the human race.

What , you got inside information that you and I will be here a 1000 years from now ? Tell ya what , If we are I will gladly remain behind

edit on 11/17/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Wow, 1,000 years? Really Mr. Hawking? Seriously? NO 'EFFING WAY. I give us 20-100 years. Methane anyone?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

He believes that increasingly complex computers will become conscious at some point

As do many prominent scientists.

Many large companies are working hard towards this very goal. Including giants like Google.

though he can't explain why or how.

I wouldn't expect him to. He's a physicist, not a neuroscientist.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

AI , outside of PC and console game style , is 100s of years off.

Where are you getting that figure? I only ever see 20-50 years.

Do not get overly excited in recent announcements "on AI" . That is for us gamers to enjoy . And the AI is all about sensory stuff and 3d . Not about true Artificial Intelligence.

It's only going in one direction and that is towards true artificial intelligence. Sure, we will see the fruits of its labor in gaming and such while it progresses.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
With another thousand years launching junk out into earth orbit, will we not have become completely surrounded and perhaps form a Dyson Sphere.......

The Georgia Guide Stones come to mind. I think we will come upon some pandemic in time and will be decimated to maybe only a few million survivors.

But honestly I believe in Biblical Prophecy and the second coming more than any prognostication.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
To sum up:
Why the Sheol do we worry about something that may happen in a 1000 years ?
Be concerned , but live life for today
We may not make it 1000 years. Hell , nothing says we gonna see the sun rise again
We have ELE event asteroids Bennu and Apophis that both have passed through the "keyhole"
Wars and rumours of wars.
Hunger , strife , disease
And we going to worry about a physicists "prediction" of what MAY happen a millennia away. We better start correcting and planning stuff for tomorrow , next year, etc.....

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Interesting, because I like to occasionally read into stuff.

Either this was an offhand comment that he didn't think too much about before saying - the salient point being that humanity must colonize other worlds sometime soon and the 1000 year mark was pulled out of the air

-or-

It is a comment based on ideas that he's been mulling over, the most interesting bit would be an absence of a technological singularity in his hypothetical timeline. It might mean that he doesn't believe that true artificial intelligence will get off the ground and eventually, inevitably, make humanity obsolete. A thousand years to master interstellar flight without the threat of a God-Machine looming over us? The future actually looks bright.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Even if humanity died out in our world, there might be other humans in other worlds.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I agree with Hawking. We absolutely need to focus on space travel and colonizing other planets.

I agree! It's too bad we elected such an anti-science president who only served to hold our space program back.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

He believes that increasingly complex computers will become conscious at some point

though he can't explain why or how.

I wouldn't expect him to. He's a physicist, not a neuroscientist.

So he's holding forth in an area he's not knowledgeable in and can't even give a basic explanation as to why or how this can come about.

Kaaaay.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: athousandlives
Stephen Hawking says...

Couldn't care less;

The Hawking of Stephen Hawking:
Celebrity, Cosmology, Disability

www-personal.umd.umich.edu...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>