It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erik Verlinde says no need for Dark Matter and Gravity is emergent

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: greenreflections

Take a sheet of rubber about an inch thick and one hundred feet wide. Now start poring sand at certain locations the result is that at those locations eventually depressions would occur and any sand that due to impact with the rubber that feel near the depression would over time move towards it depending upon how large the depression is.

In the frame of the Standard model that is how gravity works however a correlation despite its apparent relevance is only descriptive of what can be observed.

We can talk about virtual particles and dark matter these are established as materials.

So how can space-time be a material if it is not interactive where implied is its structure as a fabric and as a whole.

Something that upon some scale is also observable as a material?

edit on 22-1-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Take a sheet of rubber about an inch thick and one hundred feet wide. Now start poring sand at certain locations the result is that at those locations eventually depressions would occur

You are explaining the gravity using gravity in your example.

So how can space-time be a material if it is not interactive where implied is its structure as a fabric and as a whole.

That's my premise, space-time is flexible since I know it can be stretched. Once space-time tension or part of tension is released, shock wave existence as a result logically would follow. Simple prove of that would be an observation made (witnessing solar eclipse) that space-time is not the same around physical massive bodies as compared to the rest of interstellar space, long known fact.

edit on 28-1-2017 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

It is possible that the mass that enters a black hole achieves infinite density.

To be clear that seems rational given the math.

edit on 28-1-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Feb, 1 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

It is possible that the mass that enters a black hole achieves infinite density.

I'd say it is not. Effect of gravity upon physical, geometrically composed bodies, is independent of mass. Any mass that 'falls' into gravity well will start to lose composure (run away equilibrium shift, imposed by space geometry change) simultaneously as in case of 'bird feather and a hammer' travel down Moon surface alongside.

There will be no 'body' to achieve infinite density because the 'body' will be torn apart unable to sustain its equilibrium, the 'steeper' geometrical condition gets.

edit on 1-2-2017 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2017 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I am a strong adherent to the Law on Conservation.

When something falls into a black hole, the idea is that it is absorbed by the black hole, not destroyed. So the mass/energy of the object is merged with the mass/energy of the black hole. Conservation of mass and energy is maintained.

answers.yahoo.com...

The information still exists but in a different state pertaining to black hole information paradox..

www.pbs.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Wonder what would be an outcome when two waves are in parallel movement some distance apart and their 'peaks' collide (overlap) at some point? Resulting 'overlap' area...would it be a subject of Fourier transform? At least partially ?

edit on 3-2-2017 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The Fourier transform decomposes a function of time (a signal) into the frequencies that make it up, similarly to how a musical chord can be expressed as the amplitude (or loudness) of its constituent notes.

en.wikipedia.org...

Without time there would be no potential so therefore space and time are not dissimilar theoretically.

edit on 3-2-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

The Fourier transform decomposes a function of time (a signal) into the frequencies that make it up, similarly to how a musical chord can be expressed as the amplitude (or loudness) of its constituent notes.

en.wikipedia.org...

Without time there would be no potential so therefore space and time are not dissimilar theoretically.

Fascinating stuff, isn't it?

In my post earlier I was referring to Fourier synthesis... an opposite to transform. Nevermind, I have to read much more about this before I can properly formalize my questions.))
And yes, you are some what right saying "..Without time there would be no potential so therefore space and time are not dissimilar theoretically.."
What do you imply by saying 'potential'? Are you referring to a field?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Motion needs time so, "having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future.

Yeah this stuff is fascinating.

posted on Feb, 5 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

thanks.

Motion needs time so, "having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future.

Yes. But it is only one aspect of it. Indirectly this would mean that we as human beings are also part of 'time' and are changing with everything else around us, but how do we notice 'change' if we are part of 'time' and move in it with everything else? It was a side note, unrelated to your post above.

What do you think of gravity, how does it 'work'? How would you explain Moon experiment with feather and hammer, in particular? Any ideas would be interesting to hear.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Thank you as well

If you go though the entire thread you will find these issues were brought up.

But will be more than happy to elaborate beyond that.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I posted few posts above as to what could be a mechanism behind acceleration inside gravity well.

With that mentioned, curious, what would be a shape of water drop if released to Moon surface, say from 100 meters? Would it be the shape of usual water drop here on Earth, would it be round all the way, or it will be in a shape opposite of 'usual', end pointing toward gravity source?

edit on 6-2-2017 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Say an object with mas moves to 99.999% the speed of light.

Its size would matter but not to the extent of a photon in relation to time dilation.

Achieving the speed of light changes the matter form.

Does changing density alter equilibrium?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Its size would matter but not to the extent of a photon in relation to time dilation.

Yes. Photon with no length or diameter is still subject to trajectory change because of geodesics inside gravity affected area. Anything entering gravity well is unaware of it. Photon would follow straight path from its point of view simply following space spatial geometry. Anything else that has 'size' can be trapped inside and spiral down larger gravity well.

Light is not falling into black hole -- it orbits it. It cannot fall because it has no 'size'

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Photons' rest mass is almost certainly zero, using some theoretical constraints. Even purely experimentally, we know that the photon rest mass is so tiny that the corresponding wavelength is much longer than the radius of the Earth. That's because we know that the geomagnetic field obeys Maxwell's equations at these very long distance scales.

physics.stackexchange.com...

See another way of understanding why a photon would orbit a black hole instead of entering it is that its rest mass factors in upon some other scale.

edit on 6-2-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It would be like saying the density migrated.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Could Photons have a Higgs Boson Equivalent?

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Photons' rest mass is almost certainly zero, using some theoretical constraints. Even purely experimentally, we know that the photon rest mass is so tiny that the corresponding wavelength is much longer than the radius of the Earth. That's because we know that the geomagnetic field obeys Maxwell's equations at these very long distance scales.

physics.stackexchange.com...

See another way of understanding why a photon would orbit a black hole instead of entering it is that its rest mass factors in upon some other scale.

Hi there

yes. That's another way of understanding it. Sure, anything with zero size would have zero rest mass. But frankly, I don't think photon is a particle in a sense. Otherwise it would have more than zero size and mass. In my opinion, GR is in itself is the answer to 'how gravity works'. I need more reading on that topic. But to my understanding, everything that does have mass and size behave the same when inside gravity affected area. Everything that does have mass and size act as their mass and size won't matter when inside gravity affected area.
That's how I see it.

note: in my gravity and objects examples I assume no motion of source of gravity ( Moon) and an object being dropped. I mean, no orbital motion and what not.

cheers)
edit on 11-2-2017 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Hey

What causes Photon Bunching?

For fermions, the calculation is easy. Only one state is allowed as you cannot have a double occupancy for fermions. P(|2,0>)=P(|0,2>)=0, P(|1,1>)=1. So one kind of trivially says that the states where the fermions are found together are suppressed relative to the base case for indistinguishable particles. That is, Fermions tend to anti-bunch when interacting.

www.quora.com...

You offered earlier that photons orbit black holes but if they were organized a certain way would that make a difference?

A team of 20 physicists from four institutions has literally made something from nothing, creating particles of matter from ordinary light for the first time. The experiment was carried out at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) by scientists and students from the University of Rochester, Princeton University, the University of Tennessee, and Stanford.

www.sciencedaily.com...

The date on this article is September 18th, 1997.

What is Hanbury Brown and Twiss effect?

In physics, the Hanbury Brown and Twiss (HBT) effect is any of a variety of correlation and anti-correlation effects in the intensities received by two detectors from a beam of particles. HBT effects can generally be attributed to the dual Wave–particle duality nature of the beam, and the results of a given experiment depend on whether the beam is composed of fermions or bosons. Devices which use the effect are commonly called intensity interferometers and were originally used in astronomy, although they are also heavily used in the field of quantum optics.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-2-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

It would be like saying the density migrated.

Not sure which quote this comments refers to, but 'yes' if to take in account my previous posts about gravity.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join