It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police declare Portland anti-Trump protest a 'riot'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

originally posted by: underwerks

a reply to: Cygnis

These people are angry. They see Trump as the second coming of Hitler-Nixon. I'm not saying its justified or that it's even correct, but its what they believe. They believe they're doing the right thing.

Now, you can blame that on the words Trump's used himself, media brainwashing, or empty headed idiots. And you'll probably be right on all counts.

These are the same people who worked hard towards change coming out of the Bush years and now Trump (actually more Trump supporters than Trump himself) threatens a return in ideology to the old guard, the Reagans, the Bush's, the wars they inevitably represent.

I can't blame them for being pissed about that because Trump isn't clear about his policies or intentions so a lot of who he is and what he wants to do is left up to individual interpretation. And everyone loves to beat each other over the head with their own interpretation of what he means. The division you're seeing is a product of that, I think.

They should be pissed about having no real choice here. Hillary is all about war too. Same cut of those mentioned under a different label.

a reply to: Greggers
I'm in Seattle and election night was crazy. I ended the night at the bar by my house when it turned into a free for all fist fight that spilled into and down the street.

I grabbed two glasses of whiskey off the bar and walked out of the door with them in case I got accosted on the way home. People are more angry than I've ever seen over an election. Especially here in the NW. These aren't the passive safe space liberals up here.

True many are less passive than Californians, more passive aggressive and aggressive types. Lot of Dem/Lib leaning people who own guns too.

Make no mistake, they're angry about not having a choice as well.

I never did understand the right wing passive-crying-safe space liberal narrative that conservatives constantly spouted. Up here they blow up cell phone towers when they get bored.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
Its interesting to see people who support small government encouraging a police state.

I've heard this before. It seems some are either intentionally or unintentionally unable to grasp the difference between a desire for decentralization and decreased federalism and anarchy. Most of us support our LOCAL police. They are residents of the same communities we live in, have the same local concerns, and are usually good people. Local law enforcement doing their duty is a far cry from bloated centralized federal government.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The fact that Hillary has not made a statement to try to quell the riots shows how selfish and unfit she is.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

100% right on.

Meanwhile the MSM is in overdrive supporting, rationalizing and justifying what is happening.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Then you should have specified that Portland PD themselves "crack skulls".

In the next few years I fully expect many people to eagerly support:

Increased nationalism, torture of suspects, profiling, a glamorized military, rigid gender roles, media crack downs, an irrational obsession with national security, a commingling of religion and state, corporate power protections, decreased/suppressed labor power, anti-intellectualism, an obsession with crime & punishment, and increased cronyism.

But, we shall see. History tends to repeat itself.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I never did understand the right wing passive-crying-safe space liberal narrative that conservatives constantly spouted. Up here they blow up cell phone towers when they get bored.

That's the saddest sentence I've ever read. Their lives are so pointless and small that out of sheer boredom they'll commit a felony and destroy private property. I would at least have respect for them if it was committed out of the strength of their convictions. Those people are normally called criminals and should be prosecuted.
edit on 11-11-2016 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Just saw on a live feed they've been busting up vehicles and all sorts of stuff. Police have been using tear gas and making some arrests. Trying to find another good feed. It's getting hot at the other ones too.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I don't care what bull shot excuses or self justification rioters give.

This behavior and these riots continue because for the last 8 years The perpetrators have gotten off basically Scott free.

It is time to go out, crack skulls, throw rioters in jail and lay hefty fines.

These children need their asses spanked.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I also believe in a "bite the hand that feeds you" law.

Found guilty of a felony? (Like rioting)

Mandatory loss of all Government benefits, including welfare, housing, and medical.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
So voting for a white male gives rise to "white supremacy"?

Did these people not realize their messiah Bernie was WHITE?

How about the usurper and second choice, HIllary, is she not WHITE TOO?

If you think that Trump's contribution to white supremacists is his skin color, you haven't been paying attention.

You can't think of any differences between Trump and Bernie Sanders besides skin color? Nothing? Like maybe how one used to get arrested while fighting for civil rights while the other is fully supported by the KKK?

People don't hate Trump because he's white. They hate him because he's an asshole.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

This is the feed I've been watching at this point in the "protest" /riot I'm not hearing anything about Trump and or the election. Just a buncha people pissed at cops.

www.kgw.com...

Just now they cut the video because it started to get heated between protesters. Odd. They show the cop making, firing paint balls etc but once the rioters get really crazy and start smashing stuff and destroying property the video cuts. The audio sounds nuts.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Can someone enlighten me?

I distinctly remember Trump encouraging his voters to 'fight the vote' should it ago against him.

So why are all the Trump supporters so against the democrats fighting the vote because it went against them?

Surely fair is fair, right?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Didn't Oregon Fast Food Workers get their wages increased to a minimum of $15.00 per hour? Are they scared President Trump will take it away?

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mr-lizard

These aren't Democrats at this protest anymore. The main agitators are yelling "f**k the police"

One reporter mentioned black lives matter on this feed.
edit on 11-11-2016 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2016 by PlasticWizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
There were no protests or riots after any previous Presidential Election. I think the Police in this country have gone too soft. They used to use tear-gas, and it was over.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Cygnis
So voting for a white male gives rise to "white supremacy"?

Did these people not realize their messiah Bernie was WHITE?

How about the usurper and second choice, HIllary, is she not WHITE TOO?

If you think that Trump's contribution to white supremacists is his skin color, you haven't been paying attention.

You can't think of any differences between Trump and Bernie Sanders besides skin color? Nothing? Like maybe how one used to get arrested while fighting for civil rights while the other is fully supported by the KKK?

People don't hate Trump because he's white. They hate him because he's an asshole.

The KKK was created by ex-Confederate Brigadier General George Gordon and veterans in Pulaski, Tennessee in 1866, and joined by Nathan Bedford Forrest, one of the most respected Confederate generals, who were Democrats. The Klan became the terroristic enforcement wing of the Democratic Party.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard
Can someone enlighten me?

I distinctly remember Trump encouraging his voters to 'fight the vote' should it ago against him.

So why are all the Trump supporters so against the democrats fighting the vote because it went against them?

Surely fair is fair, right?

NNot really because hillary and her supporters denounced it and it was used hugely against trump. So you can't go from pretending to be serious about your disagreement on the matter to "then we can do it too" elementary school attitude AND be taken serious.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Ya know, tonight I once again watched the Gettysburg portion of the Civil War documentary. Everyone of these entitled asshats ought to be made to watch that so they can see what real political/philosophical differences are and how real patriotism manifests itself. And how stark the solutions sometimes are. And how we should never go down that road again.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

Then you should have specified that Portland PD themselves "crack skulls".

Uh...

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Actions have consequences. It's time for the Portland police to start cuffing or clubbing as far as I am concerned.

goddamn... SMH

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I've been glued to this the past few hours but sleep for work tomorrow calls...

This was barely about Trump and more about agitating the riot cops whom, I can't believe I'm even saying this, I think handled it incredibly well for most of the night. They warned the people, repeatedly, they were ignored and provoked further. When they moved it was block by block, restoring order to their streets.

There was a guy that took a bat to a power box, they destroyed cars and building windows. At one point they were literally burning paper in the street, throwing things at the cops and yelling the cops to shoot them. Look, you don't throw things at riot cops or tell them to shoot you then cry foul when you get hurt. These people lack basic common sense.

This started off as a BLM protest. I remember the BLM guy that was tweeting a while back about getting martial law instituted so Obama wouldn't have to leave office... Trump is just an excuse for some of these people. This isn't just grassroots protesting, it reminded me of the Occupy day of action.

While the crowd chanted "Our streets"... No, they belong to everyone and not everyone agrees with this kind of behavior. If they keep it up this is going to get ugly for them. But that's clearly what they're after.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join