It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carrier, Nabisco or Ford Who Comes back first From Sunny Mexico?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
With Trump-olicious at the helm, and with the determined campaign promises, who do you think will come back to the good'ol US of A?

Carrier?

Ford?

Nabisco?

Some will say Trump was just talking, but I have a feeling that first he says it, then he does it. We will see if it was all bravado or substance.
edit on 9-11-2016 by seasonal because: spacing

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I hope it's Ford. After the whole bailout, no bailout, they had great sales. I would think returning to the US would probably do the same for them. If in fact your going to be forced to do something, you might as well spin it in your favor, right?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Yes, but they invest big in Mexico. That is going to leave a mark.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The DOW is up 256 points. The refreshing atmosphere of Trumps straight shooting ,seems to have brought optimism to the markets!

The man hasn't even been sworn into office and he has already positively effected our economy!

~meathead

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Double post removed

~meathead
edit on 9-11-2016 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Neither are.
They will simply raise their prices to offset the increased tariff.
Or they will ship to their plants here to have the "final"
components placed and it doesn't count as
an importation for sale and solely for manufacturing and
then go from there and distribute to their resellers.

Let me ask you - which one of Trumps overseas manufacturing or those of his families
will he bring here first?

He should lead by example right?????

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just let them get some skin in the game like Biden says. Time to pay the new taxes and tariffs!

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

Yes he should practice what he preaches. The media isn't going to be his friend, the last admin. got a ton of breaks.

There are going to be some epic battles, and Trump seems to thrive on them.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
They will all be coming back quickly if he goes through with placing a yuuuge tariff on anything imported from mexico.
That new POS ford explorer will cost as much as a top of the line luxury automobile. they won`t be selling many of them with a $100,000 price tag attached.

but on the Brightside we can use all that extra tariff money to pay for the wall.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Capitalism doesn't work that way. The stock holders will make the decisions. And they always go with the bigger profit margin. What kind of threats can Trump make to get big corporations to listen to him. The manufacturing infrastructure in America has been dismantled. Who's going to pay to rebuild it?

Trump can kick all the profit out with tariffs and they will just shut it down. Then the assembly plants will fold. lose-lose.....
edit on 9-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

So did the last administration before this currently ending one. TONS OF BREAKS.
He should practice what he preaches - if he's unable to do that with HIS OWN companies.
Well - I just don't see how others will.
The battles will be epic as hell - agree with you there.

::popcorn popping::

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Trump has the bully pulpit. He wants a 35% tariff. He of course will have to deal with congress (good luck).

And your right capitalism does seek profits and people vote with their feet.

The real thing that shapes products is purchases and purchases ultimately shape capitalism . If you have 0 customers, you no longer need that manufacturing facility.

3 months ago everyone said Trump's message isn't going to get him elected. Well....

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
Let me ask you - which one of Trumps overseas manufacturing or those of his families
will he bring here first?

He should lead by example right?????

If you're referring to apparel lines, nobody opens a factory to buy a run of clothes to sell. You have to place your orders with an existing factory.

The Clinton trade deals with Mexico and China all but eliminated US garment production. Once those were in place, Warren Buffet and hedge funds in general astonished everyone by making our apparel factories all vanish in about one decade instead of 4 or 5. US factories that could handle particular orders of particular quantities at particular times became much harder to find.

So he'd have to successfully resurrect the US apparel industry somehow before he could even have his hats and shirts made here.

I wouldn't say it is impossible, but apparel is probably one of the least likely candidates for bringing back jobs to the US. Even without the Clinton deals, the trend was for increasingly producing clothes in South East Asian countries that we were ok with doing business with like Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc. Such factories are relatively cheap to set up compared to something like making a car so they were easy to offshore.

One possible way would be a labor compensation tariff.

What I mean by a labor compensation tariff is for the US to place a tariff on imported apparel so that companies that payed their workers too little could not have a competitive advantage from doing so.

I would argue that such a tariff is not "protectionism" in the worst sense, but is in fact a sound idea for a world economy that depends on consumer spending to drive growth and development. It also wouldn't necessarily protect US production in that other countries could simply pay their workers more.

What we are generally told is that rising costs mean rising prices, and that globalization means lower prices with savings passed on to consumers. What we have seen instead is that globalization has led to profit taking with minimal savings passed on to consumers and so we have global economic stagnation. And as the consumer is stretched thin world wide now, we can be sure that the rising cost due to a labor compensation tariff would come out of profits rather than prices as these firms can not increase costs without losing sales.

A labor compensation tariff could thus be a key part of solving those global growth issues. Ironically, the globalists are their own worst enemy.

A similar idea is an environmental tariff. We should not allow other countries allowing pollution to lead to offshoring.

While these ideas are currently unpopular, I believe that not all protection has to be "protectionism" and ironically, they may even be essential for the success of a global economy.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Remove all the tax breaks companies get from moving overseas.

It's literally just that easy.

Everyone is always bitching the companies don't pay their fair share in taxes anyway.

Honestly I'm surprised Obama hasn't done it already.

Oh wait, what the hell has he even done lately?

Failed Obamacare, country divided and turning against itself.... nice legacy.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 11andrew34

Clothing/apparel manufacturing exists in the United States.
Those orders can be made with already working factories here in the U.S.
Wouldn't the result be those factories growing - needing to hire more workers - GOOD/GOOD, right?

You went a mile to explain a yard.
I do appreciate you however taking the time to write out that incredibly thought through response.
Unfortunately it shouldn't apply to the one person/family that keeps trying to convince everyone
that they're salt of the earth all american farmers from Ohio.
The one person/family that has made it their mission statement that they will bring jobs back.

Sorry brother your post just can't hold the weight.

edit on 9-11-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
With Trump-olicious at the helm, and with the determined campaign promises, who do you think will come back to the good'ol US of A?

Carrier?

Ford?

Nabisco?

Some will say Trump was just talking, but I have a feeling that first he says it, then he does it. We will see if it was all bravado or substance.

Whichever comes "back" to the USA, be prepared for massive inflation. Cars and air conditioners and crackers don't make themselves.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Remove all the tax breaks companies get from moving overseas.

It's literally just that easy.

Everyone is always bitching the companies don't pay their fair share in taxes anyway.

Honestly I'm surprised Obama hasn't done it already.

Oh wait, what the hell has he even done lately?

Failed Obamacare, country divided and turning against itself.... nice legacy.

Obamas gone. Clintons gone. Time to gut it up and quit the whine fest about how it used to be. Trump has inherited a mess. Tax the companies and they will just shut down. It's not supply and demand anymore the stock holders will just move thier assets elsewhere. Business infrastructure is now global. It costs pennies to build factories in the 3rd world compared to the US. Same with labor.

I'm curious as to what kind of jobs trump can bring back.

edit on 9-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Do you notice a big price difference between things that are made in Mexico and the US. Like refrigerators? Cars? Do you think we are going to see a better price Ford when it comes in the US from Mexico?

There is no savings to the consumer. It is a way to give the consumer what looks (tastes) like a US made product, charge for a US product, but made with very low wages, very few worker protections, very few environmental protections, but huge profits for the multi nationals.

For what is it worth, that's my opinion.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Remove all the tax breaks companies get from moving overseas. It's literally just that easy. Everyone is always bitching the companies don't pay their fair share in taxes anyway. Honestly I'm surprised Obama hasn't done it already. Oh wait, what the hell has he even done lately? Failed Obamacare, country divided and turning against itself.... nice legacy.

One word: re-election donations. OK 2 words.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow

So did the last administration before this currently ending one. TONS OF BREAKS.
He should practice what he preaches - if he's unable to do that with HIS OWN companies.
Well - I just don't see how others will.
The battles will be epic as hell - agree with you there.

::popcorn popping::

Yes, he absolutely should! I would like to add that he should also do it before being sworn in.

He should also address the states and urge them to offer tax incentives. especially in urban areas.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join