It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carrier, Nabisco or Ford Who Comes back first From Sunny Mexico?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Question....who would want or who could afford products made in the US? The American consumer has been trained to accept cheap junk made in Asia by children. How are you going to change that model? It's world wide.

edit on 9-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Make stuff here with Asian kids?

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They make some damn fine rock and roll...

edit on 9-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Capitalism doesn't work that way. The stock holders will make the decisions. And they always go with the bigger profit margin. What kind of threats can Trump make to get big corporations to listen to him. The manufacturing infrastructure in America has been dismantled. Who's going to pay to rebuild it?

Trump can kick all the profit out with tariffs and they will just shut it down. Then the assembly plants will fold. lose-lose.....

Let'em shutdown. Th stockholders take a big hit due to greed instead of a smaller hit.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Let''s see, top management and stockholders want a raise but workers don't get one or maybe even COL adjust.

Fine, take your stuff outside the country and find some other market for it. Let us know how it works out. Wishing ya the best.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
With Trump-olicious at the helm, and with the determined campaign promises, who do you think will come back to the good'ol US of A?

Carrier?

Ford?

Nabisco?

Some will say Trump was just talking, but I have a feeling that first he says it, then he does it. We will see if it was all bravado or substance.

FORD from Mexico and "Little RED WAGON" from China.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: olaru12

Capitalism doesn't work that way. The stock holders will make the decisions. And they always go with the bigger profit margin. What kind of threats can Trump make to get big corporations to listen to him. The manufacturing infrastructure in America has been dismantled. Who's going to pay to rebuild it?

Trump can kick all the profit out with tariffs and they will just shut it down. Then the assembly plants will fold. lose-lose.....

Let'em shutdown. Th stockholders take a big hit due to greed instead of a smaller hit.

Fine with me. Most stockholders like me are diversified enough so even big hits are small hits....if that makes sense.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Do you notice a big price difference between things that are made in Mexico and the US. Like refrigerators? Cars? Do you think we are going to see a better price Ford when it comes in the US from Mexico?

There is no savings to the consumer. It is a way to give the consumer what looks (tastes) like a US made product, charge for a US product, but made with very low wages, very few worker protections, very few environmental protections, but huge profits for the multi nationals.

For what is it worth, that's my opinion.

Prices don't necessarily go down, but you get a better product for cheaper. Think how cheap flat screen TVs are nowadays. Computers. Cell Phones. Tablets.

The fact of the matter is that those cheap prices come with a cost... companies have to compete and look for ways to maintain their profit margins. Labor is one of the biggest drivers so when you can get cheap labor overseas any business man is going to make that decision.

The only way to get these jobs back is to make it cost too much to send them overseas.

At the same time, consumers need to vote with their wallets instead of just talking sh*t about how much they want stuff made in the US. Once consumer show a willingness to put a premium on products made in the US ahead of cheap prices, companies will respond in kind. It is no different from how consumers started demanded everything be organic from bubblegum to toothpaste. So companies had to respond to offer what consumers want.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It is no different from how consumers started demanded everything be organic from bubblegum to toothpaste. So companies had to respond to offer what consumers want.

That's true and labels that say "organic" are cheap compared to the real thing. "Organic" read the ingredients....

I love business....

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Hermit777

and "Little RED WAGON" from China.

I remember when, I believe it was the CEO, from red wagon, said no one wanted the jobs at the Chicago plant. That was the reason the company was moving the products to Chin'er.
I think it was $.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Fine with me. Most stockholders like me are diversified enough so even big hits are small hits....if that makes sense.

If I remember correctly there was no place to hide in 2008.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
Sorry brother your post just can't hold the weight.

If you meant "hold water" then you're just wrong, my post, while not meant to be an engineering blueprint or legal document, is clearly correct enough for plain conversation here whether you like it or not.

Apparel factories in America are few and far between these days whereas they used to be everywhere. Look up hat factories in the USA on Google. What you'll find now is a tiny fraction of what they were as recently as the mid 90s. You'll also see right away that to the extent that they exist, the emphasis is on high-end stuff like safety equipment or costume stuff or new vintage style/standards stuff or hand made stuff in general.

For ball caps, it mostly looks again like the emphasis is on high end quality for very small runs or even individual custom orders. I'm even more convinced that it is literally true that the US simply did not have the 'cap capacity' to make so many MAGA hats in time for the election season. He probably sold more than a million.

Obviously, you're the one dishonestly dealing in empty rhetoric. You should listen to what the voters have told you, how they feel about a campaign that was nothing but empty shilling and trying to tell people what they wanted to hear whether it was true or not. I'm not even sure what the point of post-election fingers-in-your-ears partisanship is. Just trying to make yourself feel better or something?

I mean your stance here is laughable, the Clintons were the ones that sold everyone out in the first place, and the ones that pretended they weren't billionaires, which Trump never did. In fact he is routinely accused of not actually being a billionaire. You're here trying to white knight for the greatest enemies of American Jobs ever in the name of American jobs, I mean what a joke.

And if you are seriously expecting people to believe you are an objective independent or something, then you should realize by now that you all fooled nobody. All the sock puppets and shills were a useless waste of time.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Most of them Will come back because it would make Perfect Business Sense to do so . That proposed 35 Percent Import Tax , The Repeal of Obamacare , Regulartory Reforms , and the Reduction of the Capital Gains Tax to 15 Percent will effect their " Bottom Line " in Dramatic ways . A Simple Tax Code , and a Government Friendly Business Environment , is the " Carrot On the Stick " that will make them hard pressed to Ignore .

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

If I remember correctly there was no place to hide in 2008.

Well, yeah that hurt like hell. I don't even like to think about it! I had to go back to work which was in a way a blessing.
Now I'm a movie star!

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

cheap flat screen TVs are nowadays. Computers. Cell Phones. Tablets.

You have a point about consumer electronics.

Refrigerators were made in Greenville mich until about 2002, I think that is when they shut the plant down. Electrolux did the Mexico thing, freezer on top no frills frig, before Mexico trip 399$ after Mexico trip 399$. And I don't see a marked in union made, non union made, foreign, right to work or domestic in autos.

The super duper frigs with all the bells and whistles from overseas, same price as domestic, in fact some are more.

$ in the multi nationals pockets, short term thinkers, the next quarter's profit statement is all that matters.

Golden parachute for the CEO, pink slip for everyone with a name on their shirt.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I make things at my place of employment with Asian (Chinese / Taiwan), Latino (Mexico), Middle Eastern (Iranian), and a few white guys.

I don't see any problem with this.

-FBB

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Prices don't necessarily go down, but you get a better product for cheaper. Think how cheap flat screen TVs are nowadays. Computers. Cell Phones. Tablets.

This is most likely from competition amongst Chinese manufacturers (and SE Asia in general) rather than a benefit of offshoring itself. As these companies consolidate during tougher times of weaker sales, bursting bubbles, or what have you, this benefit will itself weaken.

This in part describes the difference between the explosive growth and rapid tech progress up to around 2007 and the much commented lackluster advances and slower pace growth since then, some of which may be unrelated and due to the emphasis on mobile technology in this period. But overall, what worked was a brief period where global trade was driven by a strong US consumer. As globalization directly weakened the US consumer from decreased jobs and earned wages, this period eventually passed a threshold where the US consumer was then too weak to support that growth model and so ended.

It doesn't have to only be the US consumer that is strong, but if decreasing worker compensation is supposed to be the growth driver for global development any longer, growth will be extremely weak indefinitely. So far, they have been fine with that and their solution is free money for rich people (protecting asset prices).

I believe that a large part of why they have been ok with hitting the brakes for so long and thinking about it is that the elite were genuinely stunned with how fast China developed and they really want to be careful about how to proceed out of fear of China and other developing nations. While the western globalists clearly don't care about 'average Americans' they do care about their own wealth and power and seem to still be pondering how best to protect it. Helping the American consumer is one good answer but it seems to go against their instincts.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FriedBabelBroccoli
I don't see any problem with this.

It was a joke about using child labor.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Perhaps they should break it up, keep and bring back certain industries to the US and keep the rest abroad, like apparell.
This way, it is a win win situation on both fronts.
Maybe we need a change in mindset, something to look forwars to.
I'll tell you what, if there was a shop that said, "Made in America" I buy from it, regardless of price.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Not a bad idea, I wouldn't want the job to decide what industry stays/goes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join