It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bit of advice would be welcomed here if anyone could help.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I understand the struggle.

Before the advent of the internet I spent my days writing stories, penning poetry and all manner of expressions looking for outside confirmation. In my college years I found a small book entitled "Letters To A Young Poet" and something written therein stuck with me to this day:

" And if out of this turning-within, out of this immersion in your own world, poems come, then you will not think of asking anyone whether they are good or not. Nor will you try to interest magazines in these works: for you will see them as your dear natural possession, a piece of your life, a voice from it. A work of art is good if it has arisen out of necessity. That is the only way one can judge it."

~ Rainer Maria Rilke

I hope his words help you find comfort in the same way.

Never stop writing.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: austincitylights

Well.............I just read one of your poems. Truth escapes us everyday.

Interesting perspective and there's some truth in there.

Let me make a polite and friendly suggestion.

Keep writing and keep publishing on ATS and I'll keep reading.

Are you open to suggestions? If so, I'll be happy to provide some friendly "suggestions" to aid in your exploration and development. And you can do whatever you want with my suggestions; got no ego in this. I love poetry, but a lot of it simply lacks a certain "something", like verve, color, vibrancy, cadence, ........something.

Give us a shot!

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nobunaga

Thank you for your suggestions.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I do enjoy the writing and I realize this is primarily a conspiracy site. My poems so far have had to do with the anniversary upon us. Maybe my headlines did not convey it properly, but they do have conspiracy content.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I understand. Thanks for your honesty.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AMNicks

I guess I just was hoping for more. That is the downfall of expectations. You are right, if one person enjoys any of it then it is worth it, I will get off my pity pot now, thanks.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Thanks for your opinion on this matter. The poems I did write had to do with 9/11 and I did not try to be controversial about it, but that day is surely steeped in conspiracy and cover up. Apparently, I have not reached a status yet where I can create discussion in the 9/11 forum on the topic so I tried to do it in a less overt manner.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime

I have seen your poems/short stories and flagged some. I like them, i don't comment on them but the flag is kinda a 'thumbs up' from me. Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for the encouraging words and I am grateful for your attention on this.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

Yes, I guess I am seeking recognition, but it is not my intention to beg or be needy about it. I just wanted constructive feedback and I am receiving such. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Us writers can be a needy bunch sometimes. Me particularly at this moment in my life. I am just craving more attention than usual. Thanks for your opinion.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If you write a dirty limerick about DBCowboy I would probably flag that thread.

I do not know who that is yet or you, but there must be a reason for your comment about them. I will see what I can come up with in the way of a limerick someday.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

And there you are. Okay, a limerick about you will be on the way someday.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: DBCowboy

&

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Guys please, this is about what's his name complaining he doesn't get enough attention and what do you do? Getting more stars than he does. Ts, ts, ts.

I wasn't complaining, just wanted advice. Thanks for not offering any.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks for taking pity on me with your S&F.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

I have and thanks for the information. I still wanted to know if there was something more I could do here to draw people in.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: austincitylights
I do not know who that is yet or you, but there must be a reason for your comment about them.

I could tell you he was a warm caring individual whose empathy knew no bounds but I would be laughing so hard while I typed that it would just come out as gibberish.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The site is recently overwhelmed with short stories and poems mostly from the same few members. Sorry to miss yours. I kinda burned out on it in general.

Exactly. Few of us come by ATS for poetry. A joke maybe, but not poetry...or the typical short story that usually lacks.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
A picture is worth a thousand words.

In this day and age if it doesn't explode or make flashes people usually are not interested.

No flashing or explosions, but a picture just the same.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
I understand the struggle.

Before the advent of the internet I spent my days writing stories, penning poetry and all manner of expressions looking for outside confirmation. In my college years I found a small book entitled "Letters To A Young Poet" and something written therein stuck with me to this day:

" And if out of this turning-within, out of this immersion in your own world, poems come, then you will not think of asking anyone whether they are good or not. Nor will you try to interest magazines in these works: for you will see them as your dear natural possession, a piece of your life, a voice from it. A work of art is good if it has arisen out of necessity. That is the only way one can judge it."

~ Rainer Maria Rilke

I hope his words help you find comfort in the same way.

Never stop writing.

Very kind of you. They do give me inspiration and comfort. Thank you for being a voice of reason.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I will be the first to admit that were it not for my physical problems it probably would not bother me so much. I will keep on keeping on. Thank you for your advice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join