It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cal State LA offers segregated housing for black students

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I keep seeing statements like yours... and its funny how as a white guy that never dated a white girl till I was in my 30's the majority of the racism I saw growing up in the deep south came from the families of the girls I was dating... just because she was dating a white guy.

Racism is not restricted to just white people..

Absolutely it is not.....the reality however as a white person you are not exposed to how deep the racism has actually been ingrained....AS whites we are exposed to racism on a much lower level and can go through life without even experiencing it......

What bogus BS my wife is black and yes I'm white. At first her parents wouldn't even talk to me now they came around. But her brother hasn't she hasn't spoken to him in 10 years now. Guess why she married a white guy. Your clueless on how the real world works anybody can experience racism. But I'll say this time has changed most people don't give us a second look. This wouldn't have bent the case in say 60s or 70s. If you look for racism you will always find it but thr smart thing is do what I do ignore it I really don't care WTF people think.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

What bogus BS my wife is black and yes I'm white.

Your experience may be different, however your experience of the world does not cover all experience, in fact it covers very little...as does mine....amazing isnt it that our experiences may differ......

If you really believe that whites are on the receiving end of racism as much as blacks i think you are completely and utterly full of it....

ETA.....By your own admission you ignore it .... what that means to me is you stick your fingers in your ears and sing lalala and that equates in your mind to it not existing......

edit on 7-9-2016 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Liberal history repeats itself under a new guise.

Smh.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Talk about taking a 50 year step backwards.

This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard of and I can only imagine the response had the demand been made for whites only housing.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

a reply to: dragonridr

What bogus BS my wife is black and yes I'm white.

Your experience may be different, however your experience of the world does not cover all experience, in fact it covers very little...as does mine....amazing isnt it that our experiences may differ......

If you really believe that whites are on the receiving end of racism as much as blacks i think you are completely and utterly full of it....

ETA.....By your own admission you ignore it .... what that means to me is you stick your fingers in your ears and sing lalala and that equates in your mind to it not existing......

I'll tell you the same thing I told my kids maybe it will help you. Your self worth is not dependent on what people think of you. You could say I have a son and daughter that doesn't fit into any racial catagory. But I make sure they know that the only thing that matters is they know they are capable of doing anything as well as or in my opinion better than most.
your self worth isn't defined by what people think or say. And racism is just nothing more than an excuse for failure. The only one that places limits on your abilities is you.

As for racism today you may find someone who is racist either balck or white doesn't matter. Most people are not aND racism is becoming an excuse for failure. I didn't get thr job they were racist. Has nothING to do with say how you dressed. I didn't get into college there racist. I didn't do well on my speech they were racist. Excuses for failure I hope one day you will learn this and strive for more no one can stop someone that has goals. All they can do is slow you down but determination will always find a way around all obstacles.

Even in my world yes grandMA and grandad changed there minds about me when the kids came around but it didn't effect my love of my wife or children.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Good to hear your view from someone who goes there ! ....the inside scoop !

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Here is the rub... it doesn't matter who has it worse... racism is wrong... it doesn't matter who is being racist, it should be called out every time equally and rejected by all parties.

by saying this group gets special treatment over that group you are playing into the hands of the people that want us divided into groups, instead of working together to improve life.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I find this disturbing also. How can you have an open and fair society when some sections are calling for segregation? How can you build on race relations (not that you should have to, they should already be ok) when you are separating yourselves from others?

In 10 years time when the next generation are protesting this segregation, it must be remembered that this was self imposed......

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Talk about taking a 50 year step backwards.

This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard of and I can only imagine the response had the demand been made for whites only housing.

And this is a Public University...

There just does not seem to be a common sense acid test that is applied to demands made by minority (self-interest) groups.

To create "black only" conclaves of any kind is a very regressive, and ultimately dangerous, precedent to (re)set. If this trend continues, when it all goes bad...and it will...African Americans will forget that this is what they asked for/demanded - it will be claimed they were forced (by micro-aggressive society?) back into segregation.

Surely even the left-leaning can recognise completely stupid when they see it!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

On May 17, 1954, the law was changed. In the landmark Supreme Court decision of Brown v. Board of Education, the Supreme Court overturned the Plessy v. Ferguson decision by ruling that segregation was "inherently unequal." Although the Brown v. Board of Education was specifically for the field of education, the decision had a much broader scope.

Brown vs board of education

i thought we as a society had moved beyond this. It is very sad to see we have not.
edit on 7-9-2016 by Seiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Yes it seems the Democrats are trying to instill hatred divide,hope people become aware of this,a reason to involke martial law,then things will get out of hand,these people with big money can't seem to get enough

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

You know it's just a matter of time before they start complaining about the quality of their segregated Community doesn't match the quality of other people's. They'll say something along the lines of you put all the black people in X area which is not the nicest area. You're racist for not giving us the same housing as X group.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
And crap like this is why I hate liberalism.

I truly hate the far left. Its vile. People are right to say that it is a driving force of our countrys demise.

It also creates a far right in response. Its the pedal all the way down that makes the breaks get slammed on.

What a crock of snip

edit on 9 7 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It's not the Left or Liberalism or black people or SJWs or PC or Progressives... it's kids. Kids exposed to more in depth knowledge for the first time, rather than the gloss they're taught in high school. It happens to most college kids regardless of color, gender, sex, ideology in the first two years, a sort of mild radicalization.

That said, no college should give in to it, instead their professors should engage with them about why it's absurd to even ask for segregated living space. I'm pretty sure it's in violation of state if not federal laws anyway and their state and federal monies may be affected.

Honestly though, you guys (sorry for generalizing here but there's a lot of you) need to stop acting like any of this is new, it's not... a lot of political or social movements began on college campuses. There's a lot failed attempts too, let this fail, it's not really gaining traction in the mainstream except by people absolutely negatively obsessed with political correctness, third wave feminism and all sorts of racial issues. It's in the right-wing media circuit every single day.

... and that's how we got to Trump.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

" These people don't want any form of equality they want black supremacy simple."

Nailed it! And in a way, they're getting what they want in that its pretty obvious that the Colleges and Universities across the land feel they have no choice but to yield to whatever demands the "Black Student Unions" make. And what have we learned from that? What have we seen where the "Black Union" of whatever takes over? Would it be safe to say that it all goes to #hit?

Perhaps we have no further to look than Detroit, or South Chicago.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

"Honestly though, you guys (sorry for generalizing here but there's a lot of you) need to stop acting like any of this is new, it's not... a lot of political or social movements began on college campuses. There's a lot failed attempts too, let this fail, it's not really gaining traction in the mainstream except by people absolutely negatively obsessed with political correctness, third wave feminism and all sorts of racial issues. It's in the right-wing media circuit every single day. "

I thoroughly agree. But......what we're seeing across the nation is that the College and University Administrators have turned entirely belly up on this movement. They cave to every demand. Perhaps they have no viable option because of the diversity mandates. So maybe what makes this different this time is that the entire Institutions of Higher Education are being taken hostage and ruined. Where are people entirely intent on simply getting an education supposed to go?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Let them segregate themselves.

It's not the government doing it. It is the people themselves that want this.

It's not right. It is wrong on so many levels that it blows my mind! But if the individuals themselves want to segregate themselves, what can actually be done?

Universities pander to this type of behavior. There really isn't much we can do about it.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I wouldn't say it's very many though, which is not a brush off... no college should give in to exclusion of any kind. Too many students (parents too) treat college education as if they are consumers and therefor expect a retail attitude of the customer always being right.
edit on 9/7/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I suppose the Civil Rights Movement has jumped the shark. Only took about 50 years.

Maybe the people who ignored it were actually correct.

As it has been said, over and over through time, you can't please everyone.
edit on 9/7/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I keep seeing statements like yours... and its funny how as a white guy that never dated a white girl till I was in my 30's the majority of the racism I saw growing up in the deep south came from the families of the girls I was dating... just because she was dating a white guy.

Racism is not restricted to just white people..

Absolutely it is not.....the reality however as a white person you are not exposed to how deep the racism has actually been ingrained....AS whites we are exposed to racism on a much lower level and can go through life without even experiencing it......

Meh, move to a non white majority country and you will experience racism as a white person. Minorities always have things a bit tougher in a majority country.
Difference is, white culture has always been linked to wealthy culture (West is wealthy, west is overall white), so when you go to say, asia or africa, your white skin will be seen as a payday target.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join