It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cal State LA offers segregated housing for black students

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: dragonridr
If you really believe that whites are on the receiving end of racism as much as blacks i think you are completely and utterly full of it....

Oh, no, they absolutely are. Its in universities, media, and the trend overall globally to attack "whiteness', white people, etc.
You are literally telling someone from a mixed couple he is wrong. I also noticed you didn't say anything to the post before with the woman also saying the same thing to you, but she was a non white woman, so ignore her, right?

You are a regressive. You are making sure skintone is the most important factor, and black people are a protected class.
You dont even realize how regressive you are because your justifications programmed in your head shield you from any discourse. This is the mindset that festers re-segregation for safety from microaggressions and weak minds due to trigger warnings.
Get ahold of yourself and hit that self reflection moment already. Racism is as big a deal or as small a deal as you decide to make it personally. If you are this torn up over racism...then stop being racist. change starts with you.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
Surely even the left-leaning can recognise completely stupid when they see it!

Well, given I still consider myself a (classic) liberal, with core left leaning views (freedom, liberty, pot, sex positive, life begins at the full formation of a central nervous system and before that its just growing mass, yadda yadda). I find this and many other new progressive pushing extremely...problematic.

The only way however the less informed lefty is going to even consider this a bad thing is to blame it on the republicans..so perhaps a rumor that rush limbaugh paid some students to secretly try and push for segregation under the BLM stuff to further white purr...maybe then they will wake from their stupor and wonder wtf has happened

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It's not the Left or Liberalism or black people or SJWs or PC or Progressives... it's kids.

Those kids are parrots. they are being taught by university professors in humanities and social sciences that as black people, they are experiencing not just the overt jerk racism, but microaggressions, triggers, oppression everywhere.
The professors push them to feel an eternal victim, and form their mind to already feel segregated.
This is a progressive anti-liberal push into universities that started back in the 90s and has since doubled and tripled down into the culture wars of today.
I could of course post many citations on what sociological professors in such progressive universities are teaching now, but lets just shorten that by using the phrase "Can we get some muscle over here?!". If you know anything about Click, you know what she was teaching, and continues to push...victims..otherizing, etc...regressive. (dont get fooled in the name. progressive is about as progressive as nice would be to nazi)

Kids exposed to more in depth knowledge for the first time,

Kids programmed to view skintone as a debilitating factor in western society...

That said, no college should give in to it, instead their professors should engage with them about why it's absurd to even ask for segregated living space.

And therein lies the problem
This is the first (of many) colleges that is giving into it..because the professors are programming the students, not refuting them. They are the ones that form the idea in the head where a safe space is the only hope.
our universities have a sickness now..a censorious, segregationist sickness growing in it that is corrupting education of our youth. This..is a liberal concern.
The sickness is either attached to, or flat out is, the progressive movement.

There's a lot failed attempts too, let this fail,

That is the aim, but things fail only when kicked a bit. left alone, bacteria will fester.

... and that's how we got to Trump.

yep

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
But if the individuals themselves want to segregate themselves, what can actually be done?

Universities pander to this type of behavior. There really isn't much we can do about it.

Public universities...public anything, cant segregate. been laws against it since the civil rights era. Sort of the point of the civil rights era.

What can be done? well, thats when lawyers come in I imagine for using public funds for racial discrimination...certainly stop any and all grants going to that unversity.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I don't buy into the propaganda that you've fallen victim to. Do these kids exist? Yes. Are some colleges handling it well? Nope.

There is an absolute war on intellectualism, mainstream feminism and mainstream social justice and you know... you've got to know where it's coming from. I don't even want to get into the source but I can't believe that you aren't aware.

You honestly break my heart with this subject and I think I'll leave it at that.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Affirmative action is racial bias also.

I don't see any quick, easy solutions to this without violating an individuals right to choose.

Again, not saying that any of this is right, but sometimes the solution can be worse than the problem.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
Yes it seems the Democrats are trying to instill hatred divide,hope people become aware of this,a reason to involke martial law,then things will get out of hand,these people with big money can't seem to get enough

Sounds as though your are describing Trump and company.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

There is an absolute war on intellectualism,

Yes. war on intellectualism is exactly my issue, and you will find almost everything I am moaning about is specifically about that, crippling facts to kowtow to anti-liberal stances of race and gender. I am far more concerned with the cancer on my own body than the cancer on the opposite sides, hense why I am raging against progressives. Progressives call themselves liberal, but consider what they do, consider what they push.

mainstream feminism

Ugg, dont get me started. I am an egalitarian. I am 100% in the corner for legal equality. As far as "breaking down the social norms". no...I like the social norms. women like being women, men like being men, and anyone can express themselves how they want.
What I dont buy is modern day western (3rd wave) feminism that has become the trumpet for every misinformed wage gap women are special snowflakes needing faint couches nonsense being pushed. The average girl saying she is a feminist because she feels strong..cool..grrrl power and all that, but the spice girls version of feminism from the 90s is not what is being pushed in social media today..you know this..we know this..you cant ignore it, and its growing.
mainstream media thinks there is a wage gap, even though its been debunked by economists over and over, showing its a earnings gap, not a sexist gap.

and mainstream social justice

I dont know what that is in the west.
If its like..trying to ensure food stamps is available for poor people, I am for that. If its for the idea of state and fed money being available for poor familys for medical and education, I am for that.
If its for the idea that black people are oppressed because of microaggressions, that...that is the cancer that infests..and anything like that. social justice that is valid would be society..legalities and any science backed equality based stances..poor, not a color..anyone can be poor...help the poor, not the women, the blacks, the browns, etc.
this is a liberal principle.

and you know... you've got to know where it's coming from.

I know who capitalizes on the division being grown here of course, but thing is, I dont care. If my neighbor is getting lots of joy over our house on fire, dont pretend its not..restructuring is in order regardless of who is gaining from the division...but hey, the right is divided also, so no worries.

I don't even want to get into the source but I can't believe that you aren't aware.

dont care is a better angle. If the left would stop allowing the retarded to grab the wheel, then I wouldn't be soo concerned about where it is going

You honestly break my heart with this subject and I think I'll leave it at that.

I still love you

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Affirmative action is racial bias also.

I don't see any quick, easy solutions to this without violating an individuals right to choose.

Again, not saying that any of this is right, but sometimes the solution can be worse than the problem.

Right, and this is where we get into tricky parts of our legal system.
AA is indeed bias, however, it was created at a time where it was necessary. the entire time before AA, there was grave wrongdoing and propaganda by tax dollars to keep black people as a seperate, lesser class citizen, so, measures had to be taken to undo what tax dollars wrongfully did.

Is AA needed now...probably not in many areas...probably still in a few holdouts..but its becoming less relevant by the day.

I would let AA sit for another decade I think, then get some challening going on its necessity. We are all gonna have to wait for the old gatekeepers to go away I think. remove AA due to it being bias and no longer relevant and Sharpton will be doing cartwheels down the streets of DC

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

There is an absolute war on intellectualism, mainstream feminism and mainstream social justice and you know... you've got to know where it's coming from. I don't even want to get into the source but I can't believe that you aren't aware.

Yep. The conservative right has got a new strategy. Make a YUGE deal about small pockets of fringe activity to make all the liberals/left look bad. This type of fringe activity has been going on forever, but in the past, it didn't get a lot of press. It usually worked itself out and wasn't a big deal - certainly not affecting the whole nation or the whole world in any way.

Remember the story about Emory University in Georgia? The one where the dean made some "politically correct" statements about some (40 or so) minority students who were upset with the "Trump 2016" chalkings? Conservative media spread that around making it seem like people were going to go to jail or be expelled for some chalk markings. What ended up happening from that? Nada. No one went to jail, no one was expelled. Unless I'm mistaken, chalk markings are still allowed at Emory.

It has become a big deal because certain factions want to make it seem like a big deal. OP fell for it hook, line and sinker.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I just read the description of the housing arrangement from the university's website. It is part of other "themed living communities". The definition is:

A themed living community is a group of people living together in a common housing area who share common academic goals and interests. Residents in these communities participate in academically and intellectually engaging learning activities designed specifically for them.

They have first year students housing, gender neutral housing (for LGBT students and allies), housing for resident scholars (for the nerds who tend to get bullied?), and housing for disabled students.

The description of the Black living and learning community:

The Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community is designed to enhance the residential experience for students who are a part of or interested in issues of concern to the black community living on campus by offering the opportunity to connect with faculty and peers, and engage in programs that focus on academic success, cultural awareness, and civic engagement.

web.calstatela.edu...

In no way does that sound like only blacks are allowed, nor does it require that all black students live there. You could be mixed race, or you could be a white person who is interested in the black experience. You could be a black person who has no interest in living there - and you don't have to. This seems like an effort by the university to accommodate the black student union, while also not breaking any segregation laws.

I don't necessarily agree with what the black student union is doing here, but I just don't see how this is such a huge deal that we should spend a lot of time talking about it. But the right sure wants to talk about it, and OP is helping them out!

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think this is a great step forward for equality. We need to be even more progressive. Black people should have their own water fountains. How about public transit? If we designate the back of the bus for black people they can be safe there too. Businesses should have a separate entrance for black people, they can put it at the back so they don't have to wander through the white people out front. Why stop at dorms? Black people should have their own schools!!!! Apartheid for all!!!!!!

ETA: Sorry, stupid autocorrect changed "equality" to "apartheid" my bad.
edit on 7-9-2016 by captainpudding because: typo

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm glad Martin Luther King Jr is not alive to see this. So much for his dream I guess.
edit on 9/7/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
I'm glad Martin Luther King Jr is not alive to see this. So much for his dream I guess.

He was smart enough to know that this type of misguided over zealousness from the youth pops up from time to time, and it'll pass - at least it's non-violent. But he WOULD probably agree with looking into and ending any racism on campus.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

If he was alive today he'd probably be called an Uncle Tom for calling out some of the crazy ass # going on in the name of "equality" today. The fight's gone so far to the extreme it's actually hit the point it's circled all the way around and is promoting the very things the fight was originally working against. It's completely nuts.
edit on 9/7/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

They stole the lefts strat. Find a christian bakery to demand a gay wedding cake and then be mad when they wont

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: dragonridr
If you really believe that whites are on the receiving end of racism as much as blacks i think you are completely and utterly full of it....

Oh, no, they absolutely are. Its in universities, media, and the trend overall globally to attack "whiteness', white people, etc.
You are literally telling someone from a mixed couple he is wrong. I also noticed you didn't say anything to the post before with the woman also saying the same thing to you, but she was a non white woman, so ignore her, right?

You are a regressive. You are making sure skintone is the most important factor, and black people are a protected class.
You dont even realize how regressive you are because your justifications programmed in your head shield you from any discourse. This is the mindset that festers re-segregation for safety from microaggressions and weak minds due to trigger warnings.
Get ahold of yourself and hit that self reflection moment already. Racism is as big a deal or as small a deal as you decide to make it personally. If you are this torn up over racism...then stop being racist. change starts with you.

I'm going to continue asking this until I get an answer, who's "globally attacking" whites?

The Black owned media? I'd like to get an answer at least once.

I can understand why someone who hasn't experienced racism may say it's not a big deal; I can't understand how anyone who's experienced racism can say it's not a big deal.

If these silly little kids want segregation, give it to them, they'll see how counterintuitive their hatred is once they hit the real world, and have to work with White people if they want to amount to anything.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

It's not the Left or Liberalism or black people or SJWs or PC or Progressives... it's kids. Kids exposed to more in depth knowledge for the first time, rather than the gloss they're taught in high school. It happens to most college kids regardless of color, gender, sex, ideology in the first two years, a sort of mild radicalization.

That said, no college should give in to it, instead their professors should engage with them about why it's absurd to even ask for segregated living space. I'm pretty sure it's in violation of state if not federal laws anyway and their state and federal monies may be affected.

Honestly though, you guys (sorry for generalizing here but there's a lot of you) need to stop acting like any of this is new, it's not... a lot of political or social movements began on college campuses. There's a lot failed attempts too, let this fail, it's not really gaining traction in the mainstream except by people absolutely negatively obsessed with political correctness, third wave feminism and all sorts of racial issues. It's in the right-wing media circuit every single day.

... and that's how we got to Trump.

P1: Not SJW's.
P2: It's wrong.
P3: It IS SJW's.
Blame right wing media & Trump.

Thanks for clearing this up for us!

Honestly though, you guys (sorry for generalizing here but there's a lot of you) need to stop acting like any of this is new, it's not... a lot of political or social movements began on college campuses.

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Yes. But Freedom of Speech has always been the major trend in such regards. Now the PC Police work like little Hitler's to craft new lists & ways to undo Free Speech.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki
I'm going to continue asking this until I get an answer, who's "globally attacking" whites?

Complete primer here:
Political Correctness is Politically inCorrect!

Have a good day!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join