It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why must light move?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Kind of a simple question for my own benefit, rather than an attempt to ramp up a big discussion.

So, following current science, and appreciating the need to generate photons, tune them and produced entangled pairs, I don't understand how photons are contained in a position, or even superposition....within the apparatus?

That specific lack of conceptual understanding begs the question, why is the "normal" state of light in motion...literally?

I know there are specific experiments that slow laser light down to walking pace, which is pretty cool. In fact, it is supercool, as I know the effect it's a property of Boze-Einstein condensate.

That's it, a question about light. The nature of which seems to be part of deep physics. The interconnection of light and time is particularly interesting.

How are photons contained and how is it the nature of light to always (apparently) move?

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Well there you go! S&F for a great question.

I don't know the answer although I could take a stab at it but I will wait and see if anyone has a really good one.

One thing to note when considering answers ... you need to separate the 'Theories' from 'Proven Facts'.

There is so much very basic physics that we cannot unravel at this time in our quest for knowledge.

Time, light and gravity are the harder ones.

P

edit on 3/9/2016 by pheonix358 because: Gravitational anamoly

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
In a sense, the energy contained in light forces it to move. However, all of the different energy levels of ELM move at the same speed (afaik).

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
In a sense, the energy contained in light forces it to move. However, all of the different energy levels of ELM move at the same speed (afaik).

And without mass to slow it down (as a resistance) energy must "move".

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

One thing to note when considering answers ... you need to separate the 'Theories' from 'Proven Facts'.

The problem here is that in science there is no such thing as proven facts. Theories are all that you have to work with. Some theories are the accepted ones within the current paradigm, but paradigms shift.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It doesn't have to

Solid light

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I don't understand how photons are contained in a position, or even superposition....within the apparatus?

They aren’t. Their behaviour, movement, entanglement, etc., is reconstructed from the traces they leave behind as they move through the apparatus.

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Without movement there is no illumination, so to speak - and it couldn't exist as light. I'm guessing.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Maybe light is still and everything else is moving really fast.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

Really fast, in every direction at the same time?
Because, no matter which direction light is coming from, it does so "really fast."

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Lots of things always move. Like the mouth of my wife. It, like light, has no rest mass and because of that has to move at maximum speed.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
a reply to: pheonix358

The problem here is that in science there is no such thing as proven facts. Theories are all that you have to work with. Some theories are the accepted ones within the current paradigm, but paradigms shift.

The accepted theories are the ones that repeatable experiments / the data justify. So it isn't just willy-nilly.
edit on 04amSun, 04 Sep 2016 00:38:36 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Perhaps electromagnetic waves ripple through the aether (string theory brane or whatever) like a stone dropped in water.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

What about super massive black holes, does it not affect the properties of light?
edit on 4-9-2016 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

thats exactly what they do every single particle has a vibrational rate or harmonic resonance that either binds or shakes them apart on the atomic scale these forces attact or repulse causing a fluid like sea of particles right in front of your face at all times the density is the only real difference in everything around and pervading the entire universe

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Thank you for the heads up. Guessing you are into quantum mechanics.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox

How are photons contained and how is it the nature of light to always (apparently) move?

You can't really contain them. You can arrange for the speed of light in the local area to be quite slow. But they will always move at the speed of light in the local medium.

The nature of it is that they are a time varying magnetic field producing a time varying electric field producing a time varying magnetic field etc in a loop. And that will propagate through space at a rate set by the permittivity and permeability of the local medium.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

thats exactly what they do every single particle has a vibrational rate or harmonic resonance...

There is no such a thing as a harmonic resonance.

Particles, if you're talking about molecules, do vibrate at a rate set by their mass and bond angles. But that rate isn't subject to change by happy thoughts or whatever.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
Perhaps electromagnetic waves ripple through the aether (string theory brane or whatever) like a stone dropped in water.

No. There is no luminiferous aether. It's strictly magnetic and electric fields. You not only don't need an aether, you can easily prove there isn't one by the fact that your LCD display works.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

all of it... I am an information sponge spend most days squeezing it out though, more has to fit in there somehow

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join