It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you noticed big Gas Price Fluctuations in your area?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I'm just curious if this is happening to the rest of you around the country and if so, why do you think it is?

Last week our gas was priced at 2.01, and then over night it jumped to 2.09. I thought that was a bit odd since it usually just goes up a couple pennies or so. I thought 8 cents was a pretty big jump. I pretty much put it out of my mind as it seemed to come back down again and landed at 2.04.

Stayed that was for a few days, went to 2.05 and then boom, over night 2.25 and a few hours later 2.27. That is a major jump in price.

Now I'm in the middle of Florida basically and I don't know if this has to do with the possible storm heading our way, but I haven't really seen anything in the news besides that which would cause such big jumps.

So, is it just my area or all around? Do you find these big fluctuations of price odd too? Any idea what might be going on?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

It's all around, Pennsylvania here. Was hovering around 2.05 and jumped to 2.30 in a day and came down to 2.28 and is holding there.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Price gouging.

Monopolies can charge whatever they want, where else can you go?

I worked a corner gas station, a chevron. There were two others on the intersection, a Gulf and a Shell. The prices actually fluctuated very little (other than for inflation). I remember them actually competing wth each other. The price signs on the corner would change, undercutting each other by a penny or two. Then the other two would undercut that, giving the illusion of free market competition?

Most of the time they were all the same exact price per gallon.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I'm in Central Illinois and ours has been bouncing around all Summer. It was $2.38, then dropped to $2.25, then to $1.98, now it's back up to $2.08. Compared to what it was, which was over $4.00 a gallon, I can handle it bouncing a few cents.

They actually know ahead what they're going to pay for the next shipment, so they adjust prices to account for it. If the price changes before they get it, they have to adjust their price to match.
edit on 24-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Gas comes from only a few suppliers.

Intptr chevron gas can be BP gas, Shell, Ashland, etc.....
It's whatever got shipped into your local terminal.
SUPRISE!!!!!

Stations all pay the same from the same few terminals in your area.

The pricing you are describing is because the margins are so small per gallon that no one wants to get stuck with a load that cost 2.29, and because they didn't sell it all, the station across the street did and is now selling a new load they got cheaper. In that scenario the first station would eat the higher cost. It happens.

Here it's $2.30 but the further south you go, Virginia & NC it's under $2.00.
And yes it did jump about 30 cents overnight.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

The Exxon I frequent had gas for $1.83/gal one day last week.
It's $1.99/gal now.

An unusual spike. I'm not surprised really it's just a big jump.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I always found it odd that gas per gallon was a lot cheaper near the highway interstate than in the city. You would think their would be a heavier demand for gas near the interstate due to the fact they have a captive market for travelers. I could be wrong though, considering gas stations in the city have access to a larger population of drivers.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The major factor in gas prices is Saudi Arabia..they dumped petroleum to attack Russia, which depends on hydrocarbon sale for foreign exchange. as does Iran... so the price rise reflects the Saudi failure, and their return to OPEC discipline.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It's been jumping a lot, but we had a 20 cent jump over night yesterday.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Im in Northern Ontatio Canada. We get robbed at the pumps here. Its a $1.20 a liter in my small city of 100,000.
Ive seen prices go as high as $1.70 a liter.
Keep in mind 1 liter is = to 3.7 gal. The only reprieve is going to the Indian reservation to get gas. Its usually anywhere from
87-98 cents a liter...which is a little more understandable.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Prices here in Aiken, SC were around $1.76 a gallon, and now gone up to around $1.96.

Expect higher prices after all the flooding in the New Orleans area.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Oil is a commodity, so the market drives gas prices. Prices in any geographic area can vary based on number of wholesale suppliers, competing gas stations, local taxes, etc.

The margins on gas are very low. A few pennies per gallon. Gas stations make their money inside selling you candy bars, etc.

At the gas station level, they are purchasing gas from wholesale suppliers. The price changes almost daily and it just gets passed on to the consumer.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I noticed it, it`s because labor day weekend is coming up so they jacked up the prices.

Where i live gas was $1.87 a gallon 5 days ago, yesterday the price was $2.16 a gallon. They raised the price by 29 cents a gallon in 5 days that`s an average increase of about 6 cents a day.
It`s blatant price gouging in preparation for the labor day weekend.

aren`t the extortionists at the oil companies making enough profits from the tax subsidies we give them,why do they need to price gouge us too?
edit on 24-8-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
They are hoping we don't notice...

No....if only.

But I'd rather pay that than have to feed a horse and polish a buggy.

Fishy

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I've noticed a change
It was down to $1.73 last week and this week I've see $1.80 to $1.90 around town.
Summer. Depends on how fast the station turns over product.
I'm in a city. Mid Atlantic region.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82
Blimey Mac, I think you aught to revise your figures. 1 litre=3.7 gallons???? I think you'll find it's 5 litres= just under 1 gallon.
As I've said before think yourselves really, really lucky we in the UK are paying about $7 a gallon.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
been 2.34 since june here kind of odd as usually it goes up and down every now and then ,im in northwest montana

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

A gallon is a measure of volume primarily used in the United States but also commonly used in many other English speaking countries. Most other countries use "liters" - the metric unit of measure for volume.

The US gallon is used in the United States and is equal to exactly 231 cubic inches or 3.785411784 liters.

The Imperial gallon or UK gallon is used in the United Kingdom and is equal to approximately 277.42 cubic inches. Its exact value is defined as 4.54609 liters. One imperial gallon is approximately 1.2 US gallons.

www.gallonstoliters.com...

Topic. Prices in Canada change every couple of days, often by up to 10 cents a litre, sometimes only a couple of cents.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
$1.75 around the corner from me.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Jumped .20 cents over night in Florida.

$2.20 a gallon right now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join