It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Poltergeist' and 'levitating dog' baffles Scottish Police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
There's been a fascinating news report today that describes a family home experiencing a series of disturbing events. They amount to what could be called classical poltergeist phenomena. Doors opening and closing, lights on and off and the presence of a teenager.

I never understand why people call the police to these incidents. What can a police officer do? Noises can't be tasered, right? Alleged ghosts can't be summonsed for 'breach of the peace.' Nevertheless, the occupants called the police and it's that part that makes this report worth thinking about.

POLICE investigating reports of disturbances at a house were left stunned when they witnessed paranormal activity.

The officers witnessed clothes flying across a room, lights going off and when they went back on the lampshades were upside down and oven doors opening and closing.

Even a chihuahua dog which was playing in the garden was then discovered sitting on top of a seven-foot hedge.
'Poltergeist' baffles hardened Police Scotland officers after they witness paranormal activity including levitating dog

Yes indeed. A chihuahua apparently seated itself some 7 feet up a garden hedge.

In a report like this, we obviously go to Box 1 and tick 'juvenile playing up.' We automatically solve it with the expectation that the young man is up to no good and seeking attention. However this occured outside in the garden and it's hard to picture anyone failing to notice the kid stretching up to put the dog high on the hedge.

“One problem we’ve got is where we go from here as no crime has been established, so what else can we do but deal with any reports of disturbances.

“But officers with more than 20 years’ service are saying they’ve never seen anything like this. It really is something that down-to-earth police officers are having trouble getting their heads round.

“How do you handle what, despite us liking to use the word, has been described as a poltergeist.”

I've read the article and can only surmise something extraordinary happened or it's a hoax. Interesting either way

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Wow, cool story!!

I hope the news does follow-up reports on it...

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Absolutely

The case reminds me of the old classics from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There are news articles describing similar incidents of police being called and then they described seeing stuff being thrown around with no apparent 'throwee.'

I blame Irn Bru

Let's hope for follow ups.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well you can't arrest a ghost but the police are certainly great witnesses to a paranormal event.Hopefully a professional paranormal investigative team will visit in the future.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
In a way, I can understand why you would call the police in. Maybe I wouldn't tell them ghosts, but to get them there to observe and witness it could go a long way for the people living in the house, which it seems to have worked judging by the article. Sometimes it can't hurt to have someone around with a little clout to witness things for your own mental health.

link   
The chihuahua is doing it. Probably unconsciously.

link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I never understand why people call the police to these incidents.

Who you gonna call.......?

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Meh.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Bizarre. Or not and hoax?

On the other hand, you see something like this:

And it does make me wonder if it could be real. Scary if true.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I think the reaction to a story like this is completely dependent on the person. I am still a skeptic of ghosts, demons, jhin, voodoo, possessions, magick, that kinda stuff, so when I see an article or story like this my mind immediately starts to try to solve it with logic. Where do you stand? Have you seen any ghosties? I wonder why they don't reveal themselves to me. Probably afraid of me.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter
In a way, I can understand why you would call the police in. Maybe I wouldn't tell them ghosts, but to get them there to observe and witness it could go a long way for the people living in the house, which it seems to have worked judging by the article. Sometimes it can't hurt to have someone around with a little clout to witness things for your own mental health.

It's kind of sad that society has wound up here, that when inexplicable events truly occur, and some could argue proof of the paranormal, that rather than see the obvious that spirits are real, question their own sanity and the sanity of others for drawing a conclusion of spirit activity having occurred. But this same thing has been cultured in to UFO's cryptid creatures, and everything else reported to be real as well. It is just a reflection of humanity's frailties that this happens, but an event like this OP will be a wake up call for many, like the police who witnessed these things. Their lives probably won't ever be the same after this.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

No-one has been harmed, though the family were given safety advice by baffled officers and chose to leave the house.

Man would I have loved to be in on that conversation , as the family chose to leave I guess the advice was RUN!!!!!
I'd also liked to have seen the look on the dogs face sitting atop the hedge.

It's an interesting story , our very own Amityville perhaps.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The dog did not "levitate." He was found on top of the bushes. That doesn't mean he "levitated." There's a teenager, a "distressed" teenager, in the house. This is a classic poltergeist tale. It's not the house; it's the kid.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

Definitely this. My mom used to call the police on me all the time for stupid stuff and just having a police officer look at me sympathetically and commiserate with me that "Yes. This is unusual and unnecessary." was a huge weight of my shoulders. Same thing with this. Just having an officer, a man of the people, say "This is not natural." can be a huge relief because then you have confirmation that its okay to lose your # just a little bit. And also with police vouching they might get some attention from people who can help who otherwise might not hear about it or believe.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Bizarre. Or not and hoax?

On the other hand, you see something like this:

And it does make me wonder if it could be real. Scary if true.

Are all poltergeists so messy?Wow.Btw,I couldn't see any strings moving the objects.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Imhotepic

I'm quite open minded to all this. Yeah, it's a given that most accounts are totally hoaxed or that mental health issues are central. On the other hand, it's one of those things that people have been reporting and talking about forever.

People I know and trust have their stories of weird encounters and there's a few in my family. Whilst it's not possible for me to be 100% convinced, it does leave a few questions and a mind open to possibilities.

a reply to: TrueAmerican

If that's the YT guy I'm thinking of, it's wholesale BS. YT is overflowing with videos claiming to show crazy haunted houses.

There's comedy gold out there too.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

There's a guy called Richard Sugg who studies poltergeist claims. You might find him interesting

He was on Monster Talk (podcast) and it was an enjoyable, thought-provoking interview. I ended up buying his book and that's not a common occurrence.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the news, good sir.

Poltergeist phenomena happens... and is unexplained in many cases.

We simply do not have a good model explaining it, outside of an intangible something somehow acting upon tangibles... and frequently having a young human in the mix ... but even that model depends upon a chain of understanding about our environment that is debatable.

We really know far less than we'd like to think... which is exciting, actually.

I've only witnessed objects moving seemingly on their own a couple times.. .but it makes a lasting impression.

And when it happened to me, no teenagers were evident.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is the sort of thing I would need to see for myself and be able to look into at the scene. Their so much money to made selling a true ghost story. So the first thing I think is if the police were here and fooled or even better in on it (for cash or friendship) that it would be great way to get publicity. I find the subject fascinating and always hold out just a bit of hope it could be real. However that logical side of me that demands facts and evidence it always ruining my fun. I expect this will not be the last we hear of this story no matter what the truth may be.
edit on 13-8-2016 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join