It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does wanting secure borders make someone a XENOPHOBE!?! I'm confused!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's like the hot new buzzword, all of the sudden for me, after not paying attention to politics for few good years. Now it's part of the daily language here. I first started noticing it laid on thick in reference to "everyone" who voted "Leave" on "Brexit". Since then I've been seeing it all the time in regard to Donald Trump. Likewise, with anybody else who wants secure borders.

Please articulate for me why wanting secure borders would mean a person is a XENOPHOBE.

I mean, do you have locks on the doors in your domicile? If so, does that mean you're a XENOPHOBE too?

Another thing I've been somewhat perplexed by it is how XENOPHOBE always seems to have attached to it RACIST as well. Like they go hand in hand.

Would that mean if I have burglar bars on my house in the city, that I'm a RACIST XENOPHOBE too?
edit on 20-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's not.

But you may be confusing certain rhetoric that comes from people who want border control with people just wanting border control.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Simply because people are people and the only thing that separates us from one another are borders imposed by the very same powers that should be remove form power.

The information age, trade and knowledge removes such notions as the nation state, but "They" don't want us to realize that simple fact.

Control is key, and divide and conquer is still the name of the game, unfortunately.
edit on 20-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's a tactic of extremists to mis-label their opposition. If you even hint that Bruce Jenner really is a male transvestite and not a "transgendered person" you are labeled a "homophobe." It has nothing to do with fear (phobia), of course, and in this case it is mis-applied, but that doesn't matter if you can be marginalized and shouted down. The same is true with the term "racist." "xenophobe," and any number of other appellations freely used by people with an agenda to shut down free speech. Oh, they believe in "free speech," all right, as long as you believe what they want you to.
edit on 7/20/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Securing borders is not a problem. Our main entrances via car, boat and easy walking are well secured.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

It doesn't, is the short answer.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It's a tactic of extremists to mis-label their opposition. If you even hint that Bruce Jenner really is a male transvestite and not a "transgendered person" you are labeled a "homophobe."

That is not the case. She is a transgendered person. A transvestite, I believe, only dresses and acts like the opposite gender. Racist and xenophobe are indeed, actual words. I have used the word racist maybe 3x on this site and the word xenophobe once, after being directed to that being the more appropriate word. I have possibly typed homophobe once or twice at most.

It seems conservatives, on this site, use the words racist, xenophobe and homophobe more to say they they were accused of being such. It is a cooundrum I cannot explain.
edit on 20-7-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

In this day of age the isolationist mentality simply breeds stagmentation and discontent.

The world is simply not big enough any longer to maintain such beliefs.

Keep us apart, keep us at one another throats.

Its what people in power do to maintain control, its an old game but still an effective one to the shame of the people of Earth i might add.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Because statistically Mexicans illegal immigration isn't as bad of a problem as the right makes it out to be. More Mexicans are leaving the country than entering it. Now people will be quick to point out that we cannot reliably track the number of illegals entering the country, so I'll present a second statistic to show how distracted you are by the media's bogeyman of illegal Mexicans. Immigrants to U.S. From China Top Those From Mexico. Not good enough? Well let's talk about Trump's wall then. Here's a fun statistic. 40%+ of illegals are people who have overstayed their visas and not hopped the border (note: that source is partially wrong about them all flying here, so here is another source with that that corroborates what I'm saying Source)

Also, this:
5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S.

There were 11.3 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2014. The population has remained essentially stable for five years, and currently makes up 3.5% of the nation’s population. The number of unauthorized immigrants peaked in 2007 at 12.2 million, when this group was 4% of the U.S. population.

Mexican Unauthorized Immigrant Population Declines Since 2007 PeakMexicans make up about half of all unauthorized immigrants (49%), though their numbers have been declining in recent years. There were 5.6 million Mexican unauthorized immigrants living in the U.S. in 2014, down from 6.4 million in 2009, according to preliminary Pew Research Center estimates.

Six states alone account for 60% of unauthorized immigrants — California, Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey and Illinois. But the distribution of the population is changing. From 2009 to 2012, several East Coast states were among those with population increases, whereas several Western states were among those with population decreases. There were seven states overall in which the unauthorized immigrant population increased: Florida, Idaho, Maryland, Nebraska, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Meanwhile, there were 14 states in which the population decreased over the same time period: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, New York and Oregon. Despite a decline, Nevada has the nation’s largest share (8%) of unauthorized immigrants in its state population.

Unauthorized immigrants make up 5.1% of the U.S. labor force. In the U.S. labor force, there were 8.1 million unauthorized immigrants either working or looking for work in 2012. Among the states, Nevada (10%), California (9%), Texas (9%) and New Jersey (8%) had the highest shares of unauthorized immigrants in their labor forces.

About 7% of K-12 students had at least one unauthorized immigrant parent in 2012. Among these students, about eight-in-ten (79%) were born in the U.S. In Nevada, almost one-in-five students (18%) have at least one unauthorized immigrant parent, the largest share in the nation. Other top states on this measure are California (13%), Texas (13%) and Arizona (11%).

So go on. Keep telling us how this has to do with "securing our borders" and nothing to do with xenophobia.
More fun reading:
The Criminalization of Immigration in the United States
The Anti-Immigrant Backlash

"Many persons who have spoken and written in favor of restriction of immigration, have laid great stress upon the evils to society arising from immigration. They have claimed that disease, pauperism, crime and vice have been greatly increased through the incoming of the immigrants. Perhaps no other phase of the question has aroused so keen feeling, and yet perhaps on no other phase of the question has there been so little accurate information."

That was said in 1912 btw.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
People aren't your enemy, no matter how much your corporate/government controlled media outlet tells you they are, your real enemy if living in the western world, is your own government

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

It's a tactic of extremists to mis-label their opposition. If you even hint that Bruce Jenner really is a male transvestite and not a "transgendered person" you are labeled a "homophobe." It has nothing to do with fear (phobia), of course, and in this case it is mis-applied, but that doesn't matter of you can be marginalized and shouted down. The same is true with the term "racist." "xenophobe," and any number of other appellations freely used by people with an agenda to shut down free speech. Oh, they believe in "free speech," all right, as long as you believe what they want you to.

I'd expect a retired librarian to be aware of the fact a phobia is not just a fear, but also an aversion to something.

link   
Degradation of language is a great method of control, preventing people from effectively communicating with each other. The extreme left has to do this to attempt to enact their agendas because if people actually sit down and talk about it, they will find out how delusional they are (can't have that happening).

Notice how they use these words out of context and with incorrect definitions on purpose because it stifles constructive communication.

+20 more 
link   

Gets even more confusing when hispanics are considered to be WHITE.

No one has a problem with LEGAL immigration.

Every one should have a problem with ILLEGAL immigration.

It is a damn right INSULT for those waiting in line, and playing by the rules.

IGNORE the demagoguery.

Anyone that wants a secure border is NOT a 'xenophobe'.

The only thing it makes you is RESPECTFUL to the rule of LAW.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

It's a tactic of extremists to mis-label their opposition. If you even hint that Bruce Jenner really is a male transvestite and not a "transgendered person" you are labeled a "homophobe."

Hey thank you for reminding me. In one of my other recent threads ("Bronies") I was labelled a "Homophobe" (which is projection of course). Here was my reponse there, which might play into this discussion:

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to both: PBL666 & daryllyn

That's the stupidest 'ethnic' comeback ever:
'If you're uncomfortable having gay culture shoved down your / your childrens throats its because you MUST be a closet gay yourself.'

Would be like saying to a Christian:
'If you're uncomfortable having Buddhism shoved down your / your childrens throats its because you MUST be closet Buddhist yourself.'

Or to a Communist:
'If you're uncomfortable having Capitalism shoved down your / your childrens throats its because you MUST be closet Capitalist yourself.'

Or to an Amish:
'If you're uncomfortable having Technology shoved down your / your childrens throats its because you MUST be closet Technologist yourself.'

So perhaps it would go:
'If you're afraid of having IMMIGRANTS flowing into the nation unchecked, you must be an IMMIGRANT yourself.'

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
making it a bigger issue than it is makes you at least gullible

there are many many issues much more important

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
It seems conservatives, on this site, use the words racist, xenophobe and homophobe more to say they they were accused of being such. It is a cooundrum I cannot explain.

Go to the Google and punch in "Brexit" + "homophobe", and I'm sure a million pages or something crazy like that will come up. I was seeing it in videos people power ranting about the "stupid old racist xenophobe etc etc" (in the same breath) kind of lines.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Go to the Google and punch in "Brexit" + "homophobe", and I'm sure a million pages or something crazy like that will come up. I was seeing it in videos people power ranting about the "stupid old racist xenophobe etc etc" (in the same breath) kind of lines.

I voted for Brexit, but I'm also under no illusion, nor am I delusional enough to not know a lot of the people who voted were Xenophobic.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

It's a tactic of extremists to mis-label their opposition. If you even hint that Bruce Jenner really is a male transvestite and not a "transgendered person" you are labeled a "homophobe." It has nothing to do with fear (phobia), of course, and in this case it is mis-applied, but that doesn't matter of you can be marginalized and shouted down. The same is true with the term "racist." "xenophobe," and any number of other appellations freely used by people with an agenda to shut down free speech. Oh, they believe in "free speech," all right, as long as you believe what they want you to.

A librarian is an occupation I have always had great reverence for. They have a long history of fighting for free speech, free access to information and providing such to the most disenfranchised. Often, quietly, yet fiercey standing up to the government. Librarians have always been concerned with social justice issues, especially in regard to the disenfranchised in regard to education, information and literacy. I don't think I could find a librarian who would call Bruce Jenner a transvestite nor ,misinterpret the basic meanings of words and their applictions.

I am a little disappointed.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: VivreLibre
Degradation of language is a great method of control, preventing people from effectively communicating with each other. The extreme left has to do this to attempt to enact their agendas because if people actually sit down and talk about it, they will find out how delusional they are (can't have that happening).

Notice how they use these words out of context and with incorrect definitions on purpose because it stifles constructive communication.

Sitting down and talking is one thing, but most of the time conversations with the right devolve into insults, hyperbole, and gross accusations. Hell you are doing it here by pretending to speak for liberals despite not being one yourself. Also, I offered up an objective breakdown of this situation. Is that not talking it out? Or do you prefer I shout at you and create strawmans about what you believe?

Humph. I was always taught that respect is earned.
edit on 20-7-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I have not studued Brexit in depth. I don't live there. But I have seen conservatives use these words more than the average liberal by a factor of 10x more.

Your OP also mentions 'buzzwords'- and so it goes for the words 'safe space' and 'microagressions'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join