It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the news only report how much money a movie made?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I had a girlfriend from Japan.

She though it was really weird that in the news in the United States, when a segment comes up about movies, all they mention is how much money it made.

I thought it was weird too.

Was it a good movie? What was it about? They don't say a word about the movie. Just how much money it made.

It probably seems so normal to most people, but maybe it is indicative of a sickness. An illness in our culture.

edit on 15-7-2016 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Because thats the only reason movies are made. To make money.

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
How else do you measure the success of a movie without endorsing it for free? Would love to know your answer outside the realms of cultural sickness...

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Im shocked that she thought that. You are told what the movie made to reinforce the groupthink mentality, which is pretty similar to the hive social mentality you see in a lot of eastern nations. Its a key difference in the way east and west operate socially.

People find out what a movie is about by watching previews, reading reviews. Anymore, its even gotten to where you can know what a movie is about by knowing that every movie is either part of a "franchise", based on a book, or a remake of an older piece of entertainment.

If the news is showing you what a movie is about, or giving anything in depth, its probably a paid spot ("native advertising" or "sponsored content").

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

because they dont do it for love - just money

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
what matters most in this world? moneyyyyy!!

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Was the movie great?

well, seems everyone went to go see it twice because it made a ton of money
or
well, the first night it got a small response, then that was it.

obviously the first movie was enjoyed a lot..aka, a good movie
the second, not soo much.
in a capitalist society, that determines when something is "good"...as good is subjective. you may find some french artsy fartsy film good, or a adam sandler flick..who determines what is good?

seeing how much it made (as movies are entertainment..so the only question is..did it entertain) seems a perfect measure

posted on Jul, 15 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

How about a short review telling me what the movie is about. That is what most other countries do. Not just ranting off numbers about how much it's made.

To me that would be information and news.

top topics

join