It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British police force classifies wolf whistles, unwanted sexual advances as hate crimes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Nottinghamshire police will record misogyny, including harassment of women, unwanted sexual advances and wolf whistling, as a “hate crime” in a bid to tackle sexist abuse.

That means harassment against women which is not strictly considered a crime, such as unwanted contact and taking photos without consent, can be reported to police and victim support provided.

Nottinghamshire Police is committed to taking misogynistic hate crime seriously

The force defines misogyny hate crime as: “Incidents against women that are motivated by an attitude of a man towards a woman and includes behaviour targeted towards a woman by men simply because they are a woman.”

Forces can include their own definition of a hate crime.

Source

This is scary and seems to really open up the door for total abuse of the system. Had a friendly chat with a female coworker, who then decides she felt uncomfortable? Hate crime, straight to jail. When police can make their own definition of "hate crime", which just so happens to currently include "unwanted contact", there are going to be problems.
So I guess since everyone wants gender equality, we will be seeing the same laws for men as well?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

This is scary and seems to really open up the door for total abuse of the system. Had a friendly chat with a female coworker, who then decides she felt uncomfortable?

Not to mention this only furthers the stereotype that women are weak and cannot take care of themselves.

Ladies should be speaking out about the misogynistic nature of these new rules.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

What if you respectfully approach a woman and introduce yourself, only for her to scoff and laugh at you?
Surly that will also be classified as a hate crime, right?
I mean, equality and all...

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Are muslims going to be exempt from this?

I bet that they will be.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Hate crime, i hate that terminology. Most crimes are hate related, and all tagging the word hate on to the front does is diminish similar offences buy way of elevating one transgression over another.

As to a wolf whistle being a crime??? What a load of crap, and anybody that feels offended or uncomfortable by someone wolf whistling at them is obviously way to oversensitive.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I wonder if this cuts both ways or is women only , Hen parties are exempt ?

This could be a dangerous precedent for Nottinghamshire to set , more crimilisation and tieing up of police resources.
Doubt it has anything to do with them having a female Chief Constable.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Isn't it odd that-most of the time-the one claiming the "hate crime" actually is found out to be the one that actually committed the "hate crime"?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

"Hubba hubba" and "Arooooouuuuuga!!!" are still considered lawful and I've heard "Schwing" ringing out from building sites across the UK

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
OK, it's one thing to call it sexual harassment which I still think it going to be taken way too far, but I am lost at how a man expressing his attraction for a woman is "hate."

At the rate this is going, we are going to be back to some form of Victorian/Puritan era in terms of dating and courtship. These rules they are coming up with remind me of this:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

Plus it's body shamming, ageism, and poverty shamming too.

I was sleeping on a plane once and I was wakened by a finger on the crotch of my jeans. I intruded myself to the lady. Since she got to 3rd base I figured we should be in a first name bases. She introduced herself and introduced and emphasized that the guy next to her was her brother. I then put the trey table over my lap and went back to sleep.

When I tell the someone usually asks, was the lady good looking. My response is, 'the story is about me getting sexual harassed on a plan, not hooking up on a plane.'

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They have to pass the law this way in order to pass legislation making harassment by Muslims illegal. Like that woman who walked through the streets of Brussels.

To make things "equal" they have to ban something from white culture - like Wolf whistles.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I highly doubt that there will be ANY legislation making harassment by Muslims illegal.

They are apparently allowed to commit mass public rape in Europe and the only people that go to jail are the non muslim European citizens that complain about it.

Whistle at a beautiful woman-go to jail.

Be a group of muslims raping women in broad daylight-get a pat on the back.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So THIS.

Is a 'hate' crime ?

But it's a sign of LOVE people.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
How is this a 'hate' crime? I am not completely oblivious and can see where some may find this act sexually harassing, but my own personal bias is it is more complimenting than diminishing. I just smile to myself and think...'you wish' or 'in your dreams' and continue along my path. I feel no hate nor harassment. Certainly, different environments may create a feeling of harassment...ex. Office or work, but what about at clubs or some public venue?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I wonder if this cuts both ways or is women only , Hen parties are exempt ?

This could be a dangerous precedent for Nottinghamshire to set , more crimilisation and tieing up of police resources.
Doubt it has anything to do with them having a female Chief Constable.

Legislation is already in place for the most part, wolf whistles and naked pictures will get you fired. The law is the law and this seems to me to be overbearing, how exactly are they going set a different standard from the rest of the country?

Circumstance, it's the most important thing when civil liberties and rights are perceived to be abused. Harassment is a nasty thing and I'd like for Constabularies to keep in mind the difference between law and perceived hate crime.

I am personally a staunch believer in freedom and equality, same rules for all. Yet I cannot see any reason this could be productive. It will clog up the courts and the police, I mean wolf whistles... I see the reasoning when a women walking home minding her own business suffers unwanted attention from a group of men, it does constitute as harassment. Again, circumstance.

I don't know man, it's too PC even for me. As you said potentially dangerous and most likely easily abused by those nefarious scummy people who abuse the law to spite someone they don't like. It happens.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Some people just don't take compliments well i suppose.

But as to the implication of hate, how exactly one would communicate hatred through a high pitched sound simply eludes my understanding.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
How is this a 'hate' crime? I am not completely oblivious and can see where some may find this act sexually harassing, but my own personal bias is it is more complimenting than diminishing. I just smile to myself and think...'you wish' or 'in your dreams' and continue along my path. I feel no hate nor harassment. Certainly, different environments may create a feeling of harassment...ex. Office or work, but what about at clubs or some public venue?

Well that's it isn't it?

It's all about the circumstance, a bunch of men wolf whistling a woman alone could very well be harassment, in fact it is and I understand the anxieties and feelings that would go with it. But lets say a co-worker comes to a work party dressed as Jessica Rabbit, in that situation a wolf whistle could be considered fun and certainly isn't enough alone to be considered harassment.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
All I can do is laugh, this is ridiculous.

Can any of the UK people who go around talking about how much more civilized and progressive it is there explain to me why this is okay and I'm wrong for thinking this is asinine? Because it seems to me like one step closer to a "Japan-like" sexless society, where men are too afraid of the repercussions of approaching a woman to ever make a move.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Wolf whistles through can and are used by both sexes so whats good for the goose is good for the gander imho.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

What if you respectfully approach a woman and introduce yourself, only for her to scoff and laugh at you?
Surly that will also be classified as a hate crime, right?
I mean, equality and all...

A lot of feminists already constantly ask the question "where have all the good men gone" The answer was already "They are making sure they are steering well clear of the likes of you". With this however this issue will grow exponentially because the simplest thing will be reported to the police and you can be jailed for "Hate crimes" which is now so broadly (un)defined that by then you would have no clue on what the charges actually are until you are well into a court case.

Men will distance themselves from woman even more then they already are. The current male youth is already doing this more and more these days.

Which is why you see a lot marry foreign woman more (i haven't checked into the stats for this myself but i have been seeing this poping up more and more everywhere)

www.henrymakow.com...

GENDER ROLE CONFUSIONIn fact, young men face a bewildering multiplicity of female expectations and desire. Some women are comfortable asking, "What's your name again?" when they look across the pillow in the morning. But plenty of others are looking for Mr. Darcy. In her interviews with 100 unmarried, college-educated young men and women, Jillian Straus, author of Unhooked Generation, discovered that a lot of women had "personal scripts"--explicit ideas about how a guy should act, such as walking his date home or helping her on with her coat. Straus describes a 26-year-old journalist named Lisa fixed up for a date with a 29-year-old social worker. When he arrives at her door, she's delighted to see that he's as good-looking as advertised. But when they walk to his car, he makes his first mistake: he fails to open the car door for her. Mistake Number Two comes a moment later: "So, what would you like to do?" he asks. "Her idea of a date is that the man plans the evening and takes the woman out," Straus explains. But how was the hapless social worker supposed to know that? In fact, Doesn't-Open-the-Car-Door Guy might well have been chewed out by a female colleague for reaching for the office door the previous week.

The cultural muddle is at its greatest when the dinner check arrives. The question of who grabs it is a subject of endless discussion on the hundreds of Internet dating sites. The general consensus among women is that a guy should pay on a first date: they see it as a way for him to demonstrate interest. Many men agree, but others find the presumption confusing. Aren't the sexes equal? In fact, at this stage in their lives, women may well be in a better position to pick up the tab: according to a 2005 study by Queens College demographer Andrew Beveridge, college-educated women working full-time are earning more than their male counterparts in a number of cities, including New York, Chicago, Boston, and Minneapolis. Sure, girls can--and do--ask guys out for dinner and pick up the check without missing a beat. But that doesn't clarify matters, men complain. Women can take a Chinese-menu approach to gender roles. They can be all "Let me pay for the movie tickets" on Friday night and "A single rose? That's it?" on Valentine's Day.

This isn't equality, say the male-contents; it's a ratification of female privilege and, worse, caprice. "Women seemingly have decided that they want it all (and deserve it, too)," Kevin from Ann Arbor writes. "They want to compete equally, and have the privileges of their mother's generation. They want the executive position, AND the ability to stay home with children and come back into the workplace at or beyond the position at which they left. They want the bad boy and the metrosexual."

In the last decades western families were already getting smaller because of both parents often working but just imagine with this in the OP and what i posted here is doing to it right now. There is nothing positive comming out of this. Western society is dysfunctional as it is already because of all that and it is getting worse.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join