It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am Gonna Build My Own Boat.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Hey ATS, Just thought i would let you in on a little project of mine, I am gonna build a boat. The Plans are on the way.

The boat is a Glen-L Sissy Do 13 foot flat bottom row boat, Which can be seen at this link for those interested.

If you followed the link you would have seen a beautiful boat built by Nick DeChico , A teenager who built the Sissy Do for a school project.

I will build my boat to resemble Nick Dechico's as possible, But my boat will be quite different! If you follow this link you will see a Sissy Do built by a man named John Roberts. I love the way John has turned the Sissy do into a center console, I also love the way he made his keel ( Or fake Keel if you want to get technical ) protrude up the way it did ( You can see the keel by clicking the Link and finding the picture of the Sissy do flipped and the bottom painted green ).

Another thing i love is the way another builder by the name of George Maher created his bilge keels ( the strip on either side of the middle strip ). You can see this by following this link and finding the picture of the boat flipped over painted all white ( bottom left ).

Others did a great job building their Sissy do as well.

I really love the way these three gentlemen built their Sissy Do's, And will try my best to combine what they created and truly have a beautiful boat ( in my eyes ) .

Has anyone on ats ever built their own boat? Or anything else? maybe you have some interesting boating story's , I would love to hear them!

P.S : ATS really should have its own boat section.
edit on 12-7-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

THE GODS...

do not deduct from one's allotted time on Earth, those hours spent in sailing...
~The Phoenicians

Good luck with your boat!

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I should consider building a boat right now. We just got a foot of rain last night, lots of flooding, roads washed out and rivers are still rising. Forecasted for more rain tomorrow. Looks like I'm gonna need a boat.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Gp for it, nice boat. There are a lot of cool projects at www.fiberglasssupply.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Bildeberger

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
When my Dad was alive, there was always a Glen-L catalog laying around somewhere. I always thought of building a Lucky Pierre.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I don't get it, but I like it..........!!! a reply to: THEMYKIL

Oh yea, about the boat.... It looks easy enough to build, just room being the issue. If that is of no concern, I'd be all over it if I were you provided you could fit it in your budget.... Good luck with it.

edit on 12-7-2016 by Plotus because: Uh..... Brittney....... duh....

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I do not have a catalog, Not yet, Maybe ill pick one up after this build.

The Lucky Pierre is a beautiful dory, I love how some made theirs look. I actually thought of building one but i wanted something a little smaller and easier for my first build.

Also like you mentioned budget came into play, I do want to build bigger boats someday like the Amigo ( As seen on NCIS ) or maybe the Jolly Roger , And i probally will, But that will take much more then the alotted time and money i want to give currently.

Did your father build any boats? Why not begin to build a Lucky pierre now?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
You know what would be so cool...... a copy of the African Queen from that Hepburn and Bogart movie, powered by a steam engine. Yea a Lucky Pierre is a bit larger if space is an issue, unlikely to fit in a garage or the like, and of course more expense. I like the one you have chosen however. a reply to: theboarman

posted on Jul, 16 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

You may have inspired me.

I've built rustic tables, bookshelves, and small furniture from time to time, and recently built a fireplace mantel out of African mahogany.

I've never attempted to build a boat, but as a teen I wanted to build a canoe. I never got around to it, largely because I didn't have the money or the skills. After visiting your first link (the one with the teen sitting in it), that is a BEAUTIFUL boat. Natural woodgrain, absolutely stunning, and with the material lists and plans available, I might just attempt one.

And looking at a few other links of yours with different boats, is even more inspiring. I'd love to build something like the Barracuda.

I think you actually have inspired me.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The Barracuda is a nice boat, It peaked my interest after looking for a upgrade to the 18 foot Kingfisher after i became interested in fishing vessels, But I have come to the conclusion that if i am to build a sport fisher it would be the Olympian , Same length as the Barracuda but to me, has more usefulness.

African mahogany is one of my favorite woods, If you have a photo of the fireplace i would love to see it, so please share if you do

Choosing a boat that you want to build is always the hardest part, But also one of the most fun parts, What you want to do with it always changes! You already have more experience with wood working then Nick DeChico did when he started, I bet, Why not give it a shot? i am sure it would work out wonderful for you.

edit on 17-7-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Yeah, I looked at the Olympian, too. I like it, but I wanted something with an open bow, even though I like the classic look of the Key Largo and Bell isle. So many of them look amazing.

Well, here're are two pictures of the mantel. This was my first time working with African Mahogany, but it's such a beautifully tight-grained wood.

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I love Runabouts , I am currently watching a gentlemen by the name of Joshua Burks do his first build on Youtube , He is building a Zip , I'm watching in anticipation of building my Sissy Do , And the man is peaking my interesting enough that i may build a runabout, Weather 14 or 20+ feet If my Sissy Do turns out half decent.

Also, I agree with you the grain of African Mahogany Is a pleasurable thing to gaze at, And i must say the fireplace mantel looks wonderful, With craftsmanship like that i would love to see what your boat turns out like, If you do Indeed decide to build one, So send me a message on ATS and show me what you created.
edit on 17-7-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join