It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooled children have higher graduation rates, more social prowess

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
To be open here...

Damn is so much better than F'ck Sh't or ##$$%.

I remember growing up and damn was a huge swear word.

Nowadays, Not so much.

It could be worse, and most times it is.

If damn is the worst swear word out there, you're damn lucky that's all he/she is saying.
edit on 7/9/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

OK, let me ask . . .

in WHAT ways

IS HE

way above average of those in the general population in your neighborhood . . . and/or among your social network?

I suspect you'll have him mostly sanitized by fall. LOL.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's not surprising. School curriculums are designed to brainwash and destroy individuality.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

You say it's going take them half the day for them to do their work. That could either be 12 or 6 hours depending on your view point. Public school children are learning usually 5 hours a day, 4 If you count PE.

Someone needs a little schooling themselves it seems.

*yawn*

You go so far to undermine my point that you become ridiculous.

The person I replied to said 8 to 10 hours as thought homeschooling takes a full work day or 8 to 10 hours. Homeschooling takes at most half that. Doing the math, that's 4 to 5 hours tops of concentrated school work. If they are only working on school work for the same amount of time in their public school, then why do they go there for 8 hours on an average day (which is likely what the original poster I was replying to was talking about)?

I'll answer, It's because the large group setting allows inefficiencies to creep in. The group works less efficiently than a small group or one-on-one setting can.

That means you can cover more material more quickly in a homeschool environment even if you are working at a slower than average pace.

You do know a school day is 7 hours right? Kids are learning just as much as your precious children in real school than fantasy school. But you know where all those extra hours are going? It's going to social time like lunch and recess that your little sunshine misses out on. Unless of course hanging out with your self entitled mother is considered social fun time.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Are you saying home school is fantasy school?

I think you're living in a f'king illusion if you think that, just saying.

You're totally missing it in which case i'd walk away cause you've no idea what you're talking about.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
and that includes you too, one star bandit.

Oh now you decide to star me ....

In which case you're not a bandit and you didn't star me.

i need a drink.
edit on 7/9/2016 by awareness10 because: Cheers

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

You're totally missing it in which case i'd walk away cause you've no idea what you're talking about.

I was homeschooled three years of highschool. It's a joke. It was the most depressing time of my life.

I wouldn't put any kid through something like that.

Good day. And if you think i gave you a star you are delusional.
edit on 9-7-2016 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

You say it's going take them half the day for them to do their work. That could either be 12 or 6 hours depending on your view point. Public school children are learning usually 5 hours a day, 4 If you count PE.

Someone needs a little schooling themselves it seems.

The difference is the pencil-to-paper work is completed quicker with more attention to the work, and better explanations when asked. That leads to less time spent working on (for example) fractions on paper, and more time putting them into practice doing something such as cooking a meal with measuring utensils to practice the aforementioned mathematics, drawing up a design to build their own toy, etc. Repetition/practice on paper is one thing, but actively putting what you're learning into use is much more effective for retention. Even the every day stuff someone would scoff at like cooking is a wealth of mathematical practice alone, not to gloss over the wealth of science that can be taught just making cookies due to ingredient reactions & results (there's a reason why Alton's Brown's show was such a hit)
The homeschool tools of learning may be viewed as unorthodox or banal at first glance, but they're often more effective in teaching the same things more thoroughly just due to heightened interest & time willingly spent.

Speaking of science, the same thing is applicable for it, reading chapters in a science book & having a pop quiz is one thing, but actively doing it is more fun & leads to a better understanding. History is more fun when you reenact something or build something pertaining to the period you're learning, language arts can be made more fun just by a change in location alone, such as reading at the park or up a tree (and I speak from personal experience with that one -- sat up trees and read books as a kid. My school desk? Epitome of anti-fun & killed the desire to read in school) Ever tried spelling practice playing Scrabble? It's much more fun than writing the same word over & over 25 times. It's simple alternatives like that that can make an immense impact on a kid's desire to learn, because it doesn't come across as dull.

Learning is supposed to be engaging, fun, memorable. Kids do best with that. 5 or 6 quiet hours reading & testing in the classroom is the stark opposite of fun during crucial foundation years. Boredom & monotony only teaches how to exist on auto-pilot after zoning out.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Well i had to endure High School and i despised it worse time of my f'cking life.

I spent more time at the arcade and smoking pot with head bangers than i did in school.

and no i dont want your stars i'd rather watch you toss them around while commending yourself for being such a douche.

But thanks anyways

edit on 7/9/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Heh, you aren't even reading the posts.

My 'precious sunshine' goes to a Classical curriculum school. Now who needs to pay more attention to things?

edit on 9-7-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I am a douche. Thank you for the compliment. Sorry you were bullied by little girls in school, I'm sure homeschooling would have sheltered you from the harsh realities that is life.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Homeschooled or not. You're one of the parents of the snowflake generation. Thank you for your contribution.

And the only ones who read anymore are prisoners and non social prisoners of life.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

aww and im sorry you were bullied by little invisible people who actually don't exist other than your own simplistic mind.

Maybe if you'd gone to school you'd have ended up smarter? oh wait that made me laugh... nm

Thankyou i needed a good chuckle,

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I was homeschooled three years of highschool. It's a joke. It was the most depressing time of my life.

Good day. And if you think i gave you a star you are delusional.

So it didn't work for you. No biggie, it happens, same goes for kids who loved public school & those who hated it. I was homeschooled entirely in high school and loved it. Schooling method depends on the kid, ultimately. You & HS weren't a good fit, that's all. You probably wouldn't have liked the Christian private school I attended in my younger years, either.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I don't know if he's above average.

He's writing his name in cursive, doing basic addition and subtraction, and decoding words on his own. He does have a rather expansive vocabulary for his age. He was using words like "delicious" appropriately when he was as young as three.

He's also got a very good memory. We stopped reading him most of his basic picture books and moved on to chapter books because he had the picture books memorized. He could sit with one and "read" it to himself before he started pre-K a year ago just because he knew which words went with which pictures on which page.

We still read the picture books to him occasionally, but these days he's getting things like Frindle and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Homeschooled or not. You're one of the parents of the snowflake generation. Thank you for your contribution.

And the only ones who read anymore are prisoners and non social prisoners of life.

In other words, the ignorant.

I'm sorry if you dislike that I don't have a mad-on for people who homeschool. Unlike you, I value freedom of choice, but as you don't read, you likely won't be able to comprehend this idea. Your masters have taught you that choice is a scary thing and that too much of it should be shunned.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

aww and im sorry you were bullied by little invisible people who actually don't exist other than your own simplistic mind.

Maybe if you'd gone to school you'd have ended up smarter? oh wait that made me laugh... nm

Thankyou i needed a good chuckle,

I went to school and was a very popular jock and with a 3.8GPA . If you think I was bullied you aren't very good at assumptions now are you.

I was homeschooled because the school was involved with some shady activities and tried to accuse myself and some specific others in illegal things.

Now you were saying?

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

In other words, the ignorant.

I'm sorry if you dislike that I don't have a mad-on for people who homeschool. Unlike you, I value freedom of choice, but as you don't read, you likely won't be able to comprehend this idea. Your masters have taught you that choice is a scary thing and that too much of it should be shunned.

I never said I didn't read i said only prisoners read in this generation. Myself serving three years in prison qualifies me of that right?

I just don't read fantasy stories, not my thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I feel for you.
Many parents force their kids to go to "HS" to protect them from the real world and only expose them to the situations the parents are comfortable with. Then when the real world comes by... problems start to arise due to gullible understanding of social situations.

I was in a private school and forced myself to overcome and learn from all the disastrous social situations that I went through... I'm 100% sure I wouldn't be socially adept if I were "HS".

One has to see every perspective before reaching conclusions and "HS" just shows the side the parents want to see.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Color me skeptical of the benefits of home schooling. I don't deny that most school systems are horrible, but I lack faith in the abilities of most Americans to actually accomplish this in a positive way.

1. The overwhelming majority of people in this nation are morons, and their educational histories have proven them to be scholastically incompetent. Do you really think that they can be effective teachers?

2. Learning "basics" in elementary school is the foundation for a lifetime of learning. Teaching requires more than reading the answer from a textbook. It requires understanding of how and why, something that can't be self taught.

3. Middle and high schools teach more than math, language arts, science and history, they teach kids how to interact with others socially. Times change quickly, and 99% of parents haven't a clue how things have evolved since they went to school 20, 30 or 40 years ago. When I went to school, nobody carried cell phones, there was no internet, and "conventional wisdom" differed greatly from what my grandkids experience today. Kids need to be prepared to live in todays world, not the world that their parents grew up in.

The education system certainly has its flaws, but I fear that home schooling is but a vain attempt to turn back the hands of time and force our kids to live in yesterday.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join