It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooled children have higher graduation rates, more social prowess

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: awareness10
a reply to: Annee

No Annee, you're suggesting mostly religious people home school, that's not true.

NO, I did a lot of research on this last time the subject came up.

The #1 reason for homeschooling is religious belief.

Where do you get your statistical Information, Jeeves? Holy Crap.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

No Annee, you're suggesting mostly religious people home school, that's not true.

I knew that was coming
You got me.

Religion is not the only reason, but it is still the main reason, even if the underlying reason.

OK, I need to quit doing this stuff when I can't fully focus. I'm shampooing the rugs. Just taking a break. Ugh! Bad on me

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I never said HS kids aren't smart, the HS people I know actually are extremely hard working which in an academic sense is great but they do tend to live a little bit uptight in my opinion. I have an "ex-friend" who was HS and is positively brilliant with 4.0 in a college curriculum that includes 2 Calculus courses and multiple biology and anatomy courses. That said, her downfall was that she couldn't see any situation from an "out-of-the-box" perspective, just a linear thought. Which brought many problems because she was not able to anticipate the long term reactions and effects of other people in certain situations.

I'm just pressed to disagree with the notion that HS perfect without any clear flaws because I've seen them.

As to my supposed "close-mindedness", I believe I'm being pretty neutral in the issue at hand, you on the other hand seem hard-pressed to bait me in a political manner. I'm not in agreement with policing people to fit an agenda, actually the whole opposite. But that said I do recognize that there are certain social norms and ways of doing things that is part of human nature, not ideology.

And I said in an earlier post I was in private school and I enjoyed the difficult trip, I learned a lot.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Ok, what if i told you i did, and im not a religious person, but i do respect Christians and their beliefs.

My kids are 20 something and they're not f'kd because of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I knew that was coming
You got me.

Religion is not the only reason, but it is still the main reason, even if the underlying reason.

OK, I need to quit doing this stuff when I can't fully focus. I'm shampooing the rugs. Just taking a break. Ugh! Bad on me

and yes i hate rugs and i am sorry you have to do that right now, lol

Peace I think i need a drink, but you should have one too! ;-)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: efabian

Well that said, I'm truly glad you enjoyed your upbringing.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Home schooled kids in the US are sought after by colleges and employers because they are self motivated individuals who tend to rise and lift up others as they do.

edit on 12-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
Home schooled kids in the US are sought after by colleges and employers because they are self motivated individuals who tend to rise and lift up others as they do.

Source?

I had a business. There were a couple families who home schooled.

I had to ban them from my store.

The kids had no concept of "it's not your stuff".

ALL schooling depends on those involved. Homeschooling is not synonymous with good teaching methods.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

my own experience is the source.

MY kids and all those I know who home schooled their kids knew not only how to be respectful to others but also to respect another persons property.

I didn't know how well of a job I had done in parenting until some one had told me that my eldest really loves her Daddy. All I could say was go figure.

I was a rebel to my family, a mother who by herself raised five of us. no father at all.

I was saved before I had kids after twenty years of drug abuse. I only did what was right of any parent discipline with love when it was needed. I am sure you have read my other post where I shared about the last time i had to discipline my eldest. But God's ways do work if done in love an not in pride or anger.

sound more like a secular home schooled group you dealt with and they aren't the same as Christian home schooled I assure you. And even if they claimed it they surely didn't live it.
edit on 12-7-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Because they weren't Christian, they weren't disciplined?

You really just said that?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jaxsmash
Sadly a LOT is missing from the local PS curriculum here. There was one textbook that included Noah (the guy with the Ark) as a founding father of America. No lie.

Is the US truly this stupid?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

originally posted by: Jaxsmash
Sadly a LOT is missing from the local PS curriculum here. There was one textbook that included Noah (the guy with the Ark) as a founding father of America. No lie.

Is the US truly this stupid?

Selected areas.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Not the home school kids I've known...

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Here in Alaska you get subsidies to pay for home school materials.

On top of that? You aren't required to provide any proof your kids are actually being home schooled or are learning anything. Zero accountability for home school parents in Alaska.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
www.valuespreadsheet.com...

In 2006, Sir Ken Robinson, a British author and international advisor on education, held a moving, must-see TED talk which has been viewed by millions on how schools kill creativity.

The primary way schools go about killing creativity is by punishing children for making mistakes, while failure is the prerequisite to learning and creativity. In Robinson's words: "Being wrong is not the same thing as being creative, but if you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with something original." It is important to note that creativity is more than artistic creativity; it is the ability to transcend traditional ideas and create innovative solutions by using one's imagination.

I once heard the term "bulimic system" being used to describe the way we stuff our students with facts, which they then have to puke out on a test at a later date. This highly ineffective system is nothing more than a memory test and leaves no room at all for creative thinking. The dreadful result is that at the end of their education all kids, young adults by then, are afraid of being wrong, because they have been taught that there is nothing worse than making mistakes. Our children start primary school as young artists and leave university as imaginationless sheep.

The educational system was created by rich bigots in power to control peoples children, in order to create their little empire of drones to do their work for them, drone work.

www.lovethetruth.com...

www.amazon.com...

The Independent Treasury Act of 1921 suspended the de jure (meaning "by right of legal establishment") Treasury Department of the United States government.

Our Congress turned the treasury department over to a private corporation, the Federal Reserve and their agents. The bulk of the ownership of the Federal Reserve System, a very well kept secret from the American Citizen, is held by these banking interests: Rothschild Bank of London Rothschild Bank of Berlin Warburg Bank of Hamburg Warburg Bank of Amsterdam Lazard Brothers of Paris Israel Moses Seif Banks of Italy Chase Manhattan Bank of New York Goldman, Sachs of New York Lehman Brothers of New York Kuhn Loeb Bank of New York

The Federal Reserve is at the root of most of our present laws. Basically, the Federal Reserve is the "STATE" of the United States. See "Our Enemy, The STATE" by Albert J. Nock - 1935, his Classic Critique Distinguishing "Government" from the "STATE." See Also Charts in Text Format of Interlocking Directorships and Family Linkages taken from "Federal Reserve Directors: A Study of Corporate and Banking Influence. Staff Report, Committee on Banking, Currency and Housing, House of Representatives, 94th Congress, 2nd Session, August 1976." Thomas Jefferson once said: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies . . .

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] . . . will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered . . . The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -- Thomas Jefferson -- The Debate Over The Recharter Of The Bank Bill, (1809)

and then, there's the problem of the entire Education System being geared towards Left Brain Thinking.

This is a problem, particularily for Right Brained Children.. Why do they do this?
edit on 7/13/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
NO not just physical discipline as in a little swat now and again, but they also lacked discipline in their own mind.

A disciplined person is a trained person. Training may take some physical discipline so they know right from wrong. Love is always the key.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod
Are you sure it wasn't Noah Webster?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy1972
It's a fantastic idea..if you're rich and don't have to work 8 - 10 hours a day and can spend all that time teaching your kids...

You don't have to be rich to have one spouse work full time and the other spouse stay at home and take care of the family. That's how the family structure existed for thousands of years. That's how my spouse and I choose to live. Sure we have older cars and an average house, but we can survive without worry on a single income and provide the time and care our children need.

Stop throwing out excuses and make things happen.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If homeschooling is done right, I can see how it would be wonderful bc the parents are forced to be involved which is great.

I can also see how wonderful public school is with parents involved.

If I had a lot of money and lots of spare time (which I don't), I would still NOT homeschool though...and I do not one bit think I am less of a mother bc of my thoughts.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Easy for you to say, what if both spouses salaries barely make up the amount to live, what if you were a single father / mother?

Not everyone is married and not every married couple makes enough money for 1 to stay at home. (even with older cars and less than average home)

If that's what you chose and can do it...good for you

But not everyone believes that is the best for their child, especially if you are not a good teacher, that does not come naturally for some.
edit on 13-7-2016 by veracity because: to add and typos

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join