It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooled children have higher graduation rates, more social prowess

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
COMPLETE HEALTH & HAPPINESS

By "Admin"
4 July 2016

complete-health-and-happiness.com...

Homeschooling, once steeped in negativity and subject to eyebrow-raising naysayers, is fast-sweeping the nation as an alternative educational method that comes with higher graduation rates than traditional schooling.(1) In fact, there are approximately 2.2 million students in the United States who receive home education, and experts note that its popularity has continued, rather than waned, through the years. These students have been found to score up to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests.(2)
. . .
Higher graduation rates, test scores among homeschooled children0
Of homeschooled children, 66.7 percent have been found to graduate from a four-year college, whereas those who went to a public school had a 57.5 percent graduation rate.(1) The finding came as a result of a 2009 University of St. Thomas study that analyzed homeschool students’ academics versus those in more traditional educational systems. Not only was there a higher college graduation rate, but compared to public, private and Catholic schooling, those who were homeschooled were found to have the highest GPA and also outperformed in college preparedness tests for reading, science and English.(2)
Homeschooled children more prepared socially for real-world scenarios
. . .

imho, any parent that genuinely cares for their child and remotely has the capacity to insure they are homeschooled, would be unwise, if not uncaring, not to.
As I've noted on several threads, I have a connection with someone who just attended a high level meeting at the Dept of Ed in D.C. where officials noted that THEY WERE DELIBERATELY DUMBING DOWN OUR STUDENTS in this country.
OF COURSE. The oligarchy MUST have propaganda lotobotomized, chemically pacified, intellectually stunted sheeple, Eloi, serfs, slaves . . . to shuffle off compliantly like lemmings into the caverns of the Morlachs . . . for dinner . . . as the main course.
IT IS GRATIFYING, though not that surprising, that home schooled students also score higher on standardized tests; have higher graduation rates and are socially more prepared to deal with the complexities of modern social situations. Tailoring a home schooled experience for each unique child tends to achieve better results all around.
I have no doubt that the contrarian naysayers will wail about the wonderful education system in this country. But I've seen Asian systems. Ours is wimpy in a lot of respects. And, it tends, too often, to major in minors and minor in majors. No thanks.
I'm just thankful I have no kids or grandkids having to confront life in this era--particularly the school system--the major indoctrination, brainwashing institution of the oligarchy--after the media.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
If I had children today, I would never let them attend school from age 10-15. I just don't think most children in that age range can learn in such large groups. Most people including adults learn from doing more than listening.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It's a fantastic idea..if you're rich and don't have to work 8 - 10 hours a day and can spend all that time teaching your kids...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Our youngest is homeschooled. We're raising a well developed leader. Not a mindless follower.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
If I had children today, I would never let them attend school from age 10-15. I just don't think most children in that age range can learn in such large groups. Most people including adults learn from doing more than listening.

I greatly agree.

Besides, we ought to be rearing INDIVIDUALS . . . critical thinking individuals

not a herd with a GROUP-THINK mentality.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: andy1972

I understand. But there are alternatives where there's sufficient will and SOME capacity to contribute to the process. And many church sponsored schools have scholarships.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Our youngest is homeschooled. We're raising a well developed leader. Not a mindless follower.

CONGRATS.

I assume you are also schooling in the consequences . . . of . . . as the Chinese proverb says . . .

the duck that sticks its head up above the heads of the flock.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   

You do realise that home schooled kids learn the same subjects and topics as their public school counterparts, right?

Private school kids also have better scores and graduation rates than public school kids...

It goes without saying really.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

originally posted by: DBCowboy

CONGRATS.

I assume you are also schooling in the consequences . . . of . . . as the Chinese proverb says . . .

the duck that sticks its head up above the heads of the flock.

Yes.

He's 14, taking some college courses, intermural at the local high school, 4H locally, and, study at home as well as interning at the engineering firm 1 day a week where I work.

He's a target to be sure. But we live in a large home school community. He's not alone.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Sorry that's BS

Not that home schooling is a bad thing; if done right im sure it's great.

What's BS is the nation that public schooling is a problem.

What's a problem is disengaged parents.

If you have engaged parents it doesn't mater where the "official" schooling comes from.

You could be a single mother in the portest public school district in the country... if your engaged in your child's learning than they will out pace their pears.
edit on 9-7-2016 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I wrote a LONG post about this on another thread. I agree.

We home school. My kids are way ahead of their public school peers and chugging right along at their own pace. My son started out behind in reading but since I let him read what he wants (200 page comic books - he's 10) he has really gotten better and can read anything he picks up now. In addition to the basic language arts we do art, music (free access to a piano, violin, and guitars), SO MUCH science (I have a few science degrees so I'm good in this area), languages including Spanish and American Sign Language (at their request) but we have lived in Germany and Italy so they have been exposed to languages their whole lives, and they are both starting pre-algebra in the fall. They are 8 and 10. We're not doing history at the moment but they will start current events in the fall. They are scouts and both take gymnastics. My daughter has expressed interest in piano lessons, so we might pursue that. They were just in a musical put on by the Missoula Children's Theatre. They have great manners and are well behaved (in public haha). They stay up LATE reading and drawing, but what ev. Also they prefer to both sleep on the couch? What ev. They have set chores and get paid for the more difficult ones. The do their own laundry and clean up after themselves most day with a little prompt. They are social. They are rested. They are very healthy as far as diet, weight, and exercise as we walk over a mile each day or ride longer. They have friends. They play outside a LOT and have caught snakes, birds, turtles, frogs etc...They pursue what they are interested in and are at or above grade level. SO no complaints.

EXCEPT. I have a pet-peeve about SOME home school kids. They are OBNOXIOUS.

2-3 times a year we get together with the home school community and participate in a CoOp in which parents teach a subject to groups of children. Last semester I taught Oceanography and next semester I'm teaching Cryptography. I'll also tutor the high school kids in APA research methods and teach them the mechanics to compose college papers.

The kids that I have encountered in the CoOp here (about 30 of them) have NO IDEA how to behave in a group learning environment. The have no tact or respect for others including adults that are running the class. I have never been talked over more in my life. Every other word is "I already know that". I'm like, yeah YOU might but they don't so how bout you shut your trap and let others learn m'kay??? Okay, I'm a LOT nicer than that but I have sent a 7 year old to the front desk for being consistently rude. I've never wanted to smack another person's kid but they can be SO arrogant and obnoxiously entitled. I fear the are all "special snowflakes". They are never told they are wrong, and they BELIEVE they are THE center of the universe. I think it's because they are usually the focus of ALL of their parent's attention and now they NEED to be the center of attention.

My kids started out in a private school so they know the rules of acceptable behavior in a group learning environment. They know to take turns, and somehow they just KNOW they are not the center of attention ALL THE DAMN TIME. Probably because I scream "it's not about you" often enough when they want in on a conversation or phone call haha. What? I like my privacy too. haha

Any who... my two cents.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

"those who were homeschooled were found to have the highest GPA and also outperformed in college preparedness testsText

Absolutely agree and realize this is relatively easy to measure with standardized tests...

"Koonce concluded that the majority of the time, homeschooled children were more mature and socially adept than their non-homeschooled peers."

" Mature and socially adept" is a little more difficult to measure objectively, and does a child with those attributes as percieved in the eyes of an adult researcher really understand preteen and teen social situations - situations the adult researcher most likely doesn't even understand if they are aware of them at all?

In raising kids I have personally seen them gain experiance with difficult situations and gain the ability to handle them well the same way one gets proficient at anything else - experiance.

So as long as the homeschooled kids get equivilant experiance, I'm sure they gain equivilant skills,
If they don't....

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Sadly a LOT is missing from the local PS curriculum here. There was one textbook that included Noah (the guy with the Ark) as a founding father of America. No lie. Also the school here was too easy. My kids already knew what photosynthesis was and all the parts of the flower kindergarten but they teach it in every grade for like 5 years. A lot of the teacher I talked to don;t like the books and old me they spend too much time lining up and doing busy work and they are not really progressing. My 2nd grade will be starting pre-algebra in the fall because she is ready. If she stayed in her school she'd only be covering 4 digit addition for a whole year with MAYBE some multiplication....she mastered factoring in a week. She is probably an exception to the rule but while they learn the same thing...it has been dumbed down. No child left behind.

reply to: Chadwickus

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaxsmash

Mine is on the high school chess team and is wiping the floor with the bodies of everyone he beats.

(proud dada)

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Parents do play a huge part! That is a GREAT point!
I was never felt welcomed to participate. I even volunteered to be a room mom but was essentially given busy work that didn't ever go anywhere. I was not welcomed even during parent teacher conferences. It was probably JUST the school though. I did notice that when I went over the spelling words with my kids they would get a 100, but if I didn't they would almost certainly fail. Like, what are teachers even doing? I had to go over every little thing if I wanted them to pass. I got to the point where I was like, what are you doing at school? This work is easy. We started home school and kids are going through curriculum faster than I can upgrade it.

I do feel very lucky/blessed/happy what ever that we can afford for me to stay home, but its a VERY small town and there are NO jobs that would cover child care and gas to justify my working. I also go to school full time myself on a scholarship for my graduate degree so that takes quite a bit of time.

I do plan for them to attend a private high school later like It did. They will be ahead, so maybe they can graduate early.

a reply to: DanDanDat

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I have noticed that a large percentage of home school kids don;t know how to behave in a group think or group education environment. That's a shame because in the adult world they will likely find a job where they need to work together in a group. I think it's important to have both the ability to work and think in a group and as an individual.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This is just evolution

You have the evolutionary family model of a man and a women. One person has to work so the other can educate the kids.

The parents of home school kids are probably smarter then non home school kids

Smart and stable win almost ever time

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Uh huh, and who's statistics are those.

Isn't it interesting that we never hear the failures of homeschooling.

HOMESCHOOLERSANONYMOUS.ORG

How I survived homeschooling.

homeschoolersanonymous.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I AGREE THAT ENGAGED PARENTS--PARTICULARLY DADS--MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE REGARDLESS of the setting of the schooling.

Without it . . . it's almost a lost cause in lots of settings public, private and/or home.

originally posted by: DanDanDat
Sorry that's BS

Not that home schooling is a bad thing; if done right im sure it's great.

What's BS is the nation that public schooling is a problem.

What's a problem is disengaged parents.

If you have engaged parents it doesn't mater where the "official" schooling comes from.

You could be a single mother in the portest public school district in the country... if your engaged in your child's learning than they will out pace their pears.

posted on Jul, 9 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I think that this is a function of the values of the parents and how successful the parents are transmitting the healthy, constructive values to their kids.

Entitlement oriented smug parents breed kids of similar values.

Parents who see themselves and their kids as here on earth to contribute to the family, one another, society, God etc. are likely to behave differently.

originally posted by: Jaxsmash

I have noticed that a large percentage of home school kids don;t know how to behave in a group think or group education environment. That's a shame because in the adult world they will likely find a job where they need to work together in a group. I think it's important to have both the ability to work and think in a group and as an individual.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join