It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I once supported the legalization of weed...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Hr2burn

think of the bright side, as your house goes up in value you have more equity, you can borrow more and buy a second house to rent it out. Would you rather values went down and financiers foreclosing?

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I have used a couple CBD products, but nothing has helped me as well as full cannabis oil. And if you have read any of my previous posts regarding medical cannabis use for myself, I do not like the psychoactive part. I have anxiety that is greatly exacerbated when using the oil. However, it helps me in ways that no doctor, with pharmaceuticals or other alternative therapies have.

I wish that CBD only products did the job. And I'm hopeful that once I live in a state where I can legally experiment I will be able to find something that isn't so harsh on my mind.

I'm actually pregnant at the moment, and thankfully my disease acts like it's in remission during pregnancy, so I haven't needed it. But my baby is due any day (moment) and I swear, my body knows this and has started showing signs of flaring up.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Dp
edit on 1-7-2016 by chelsdh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   

think a little about the advantages of being able to discuss cannabis with a healthcare professional unworried about potential snitching.
a reply to: Kester

This is a problem for me. I made a thread about kids' pediatrician , who is a saint . But he is 100% ignorant concerning medical cannabis. Didn't know it is legal, medically and recreationally in CO. Had no idea that it is approved to treat severe seizures in my state (after stating "what on earth can it do to help seizures"). He knows nothing, and it broke my heart, because my kids have a good shot at developing the same disease I have. He did seem intrigued when I told him my results with cannabis (while visiting the good state of Colorado of course, where its legal).

But I could never broach the subject with my doctor.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

As it was explained to me by a Washington resident... housing used to be very low, then folks from Cali started moving there paying what they thought was normal for homes and prices skyrocketed. If they are stable now its because the market cant move houses at higher prices...

As far as Legalized... I saw at worst Medical use should be legal in all states period... there is enough evidence to the benefits for some (canabis oil for people suffering from seizures etc) that they should not fear arrest to help their kids.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

Spin it all you want. All the descriptions you give to alcohol also fit with pot. A mind altering chemical. period. Now we are faced with more cocktail variations.

What you omit is all those people who have lost possessions or have been incarcerated
were fully aware of the consequences of their acts. Now THAT'S an addiction....by any definition.

So using other addictions to justify another addiction is an addled argument.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

What you omit is all those people who have lost possessions or have been incarcerated
were fully aware of the consequences of their acts. Now THAT'S an addiction....by any definition.

You're addled, dudette:

Definition of Addiction

Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

edit on 7/1/2016 by Blaine91555 because: snipped off topic comment

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I imagine that sometime back in the prohibition era, someone made the same argument you are making now!

only difference is, alcohol can cause death, weed cannot!

so go figure!

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Are you seriously ranting about your property value going up? I can think of quite a few people who would trade places with you in exchange for the incredible hardship of seeing their real estate dramatically increase in value.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm down here in rural southern Colorado. There's been quite an influx of both people/businesses. Trucks loaded with building materials, cisterns/septic tanks pass by daily.

We're located in a bankrupt land development, hundreds of acres. For years there were only 9 full time residences and a few half-built abandoned places. That was it.

We bought a fixer upper house on acreage for practically nothing 20+ years ago. Our home gained a little equity/held its value but since legalization we have obscene equity. We nearly burst out laughing after our appraisal, we couldn't believe it. We're doing the happy dance.

Lots of people are moving here, making an investment. They're buying land, building homes and opening businesses, even some not related to pot. Large grow operations are going up out east. It's a busy time for our area.

We're not getting too many of the homeless types, they pass through/head north to bigger cities. I've heard some people come here hoping to work as trimmers etc. but if they can't pass a background check they can forget about it. Actually pot business owners/workers are some of the best people you'd want to live around. They've been stamped/approved.

Frankly new people showing up in our area have more money than the locals. We've always been an economically depressed area. The only downside is a few are having a tough time getting on their feet. Jobs are scarce right now, things aren't in full swing yet. Counties are still tweaking laws/regs and a few may have jumped the gun a bit. I'm confident things will only get better, people just need some breathing room.

What we assume is going on in our development is land owners have relocated here after selling homes in other states. These people not only purchased land, they bought new fifth wheel trailers, large custom bus type campers etc. Some brought in mini homes. They're trying to improve their property but everything is so damn expensive. These people aren't scum, they've spent lots of cash.

Now I think money is running out and so is time, building permits expire and the county is clamping down on campers. A sign went up on our road informing people building permits are required/county zoning laws will be enforced. They're only allowed to camp for two weeks without a building permit, after that they have to pay for one/look like they're building something or they have to go.

Our development is huge, gravel roads everywhere, the hubby and I explore them in our jeep. We use to go all over, never see anyone but now down every road we find people. They have nice vehicles/campers, they're doing the best they can and I know it's tough for those without water/electric.

So far crime hasn't been bad. There's been some domestic type disputes between friends, partners/landowners but no thefts/burglaries. Increased traffic is all we've noticed. If things turn more desperate crime could get worse but most seem like good people who just want to be left alone like us.

I'd like to add I'm not sure everyone is coming here for the pot. We've always had a steady influx of Californians and right now they're dealing with drought/water shortages and wildfires. Rent/housing over there simply isn't affordable for many families, I think we're seeing a mix of economic refugees and people just wanting a new lifestyle. Not for the weak/weary but very rewarding. Hardship will "weed" out all but those who deserve to be here.

The cities are probably handling legalization differently than rural areas of Colorado but all in all it's been a really good thing for us down here. I wish all newcomers the best, they remind me of us 20+ years ago. Everyone deserves a chance and I for one am glad people are utilizing all this beautiful land down here. I always thought it was way too much for the few that live here.
edit on 7-1-2016 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

When and 'if' you come down
, you might look again at the definition. It applies precisely to individuals who, to this day, lose literally millions is salaries from professional leagues due to usage of drugs....including Mary Jane.

Try getting a professional driving job, say with a gov't transit company or any trucking company in the U.S. as a 'user'.

Anyone, ANYONE that tries denying that Pot is a mind-altering drug is the real denier of truth and promoter of ignorance.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's part of the agenda, It will be legalized whether you like it or not and its going to be used as a binary weapon, weed laced with nano particles which can vibrate from signals from your cell phone. Its a mass mind control weapon and also a covert litmus test... and I've said way too much already... I hope I'm not threatened again...
edit on 1-7-2016 by AnonymousTi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Blaming pot on a shirtless guy beating people with a plastic pipe? LOL Crazy people existed before legalization too. Every major city draws all kinds of people to it, including these. I can walk down the street and see this any time of day if I want to and I don't live in Denver. This means that legalization is helping turn Denver into a major city.

You mentioned the rents and housing prices going up. That means that most people moving there aren't crazy people. They're hard-working, intelligent, high net-worth individuals. Your gripe is that you are being gentrified out.

My buddy just moved out there for the legal pot. He's 25 and makes 6 figures.
edit on 7/1/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/1/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I am delighted to read this OP. I had lived in Colorado my entire life until a couple weeks ago. I did not move because of the problems you describe but I am all too familiar.
I am still for legal pot. But more states need to hop on board before Colorado crumbles because of it. The influx of low lifes is unbelievable. The bottom of the barrel is coming from all over the country to Colorado simply to smoke the good stuff. And guess what? The rent is too damn high. What happens? Homeless beggars literally everywhere. They are destroying the mountains with encampments.
Pot may be legal in Washington and a couple of other states but nowhere do they sell it recreationally all over like they do in CO.
You are right on about the infrastructure as well. The population is absolutely exploding and there is not the roads or services for it. Expect the welfare and snap programs to be dolling out millions of dollars to out of staters looking for nothing but weed. Denver is expanding incredibly rapidly but it is all high rise luxury condos put up by shoddy builders and ran by landlords looking for extortion level rent payments.
The only hope is a Colorado housing market crash. Otherwise, Denver will become a pit. I know many locals who have had to move out of the Denver area simply because they cannot afford it anymore. And out of staters do not appreciate or respect Colorados natural beauties and wonders. The price of everything there is going up and any natural wonders are being monetized. We see what D.C. is like and guess what? Denver is the secondary home of government in the country..

The next few years will make or break Colorado IMO. I cannot wait to go back but i fear it will not be the Colorado i know by the time i do. I fear for the future there.

Another point, there is no jobs there for those without a degree outside of minimum wage. Minimum wage jobs are all you can find and it aint 15$ an hour like Seattle.

Another problem with weed specifically. Raids and busts happen across the state every single day. How you ask when weed is legal? Well it is massive illegal by size grow operations going on in homes. Mainly by out of staters. They rent a property in CO, grow weed there in mass, and then traffic it back to their home state for insane profits. The problem really is rampant and everyday in SoCo.

Denver truly is a boom or bust town. It was bust back in the 90's. Right now it is booming but soon to be bust again unfortunately. Too many 'travelers.'

Eta - Colorado certainly could figure out the tweaks and turn into an even more amazing state because of all this. But big thinking needs to happen. I hope it does. I would love to see this make CO even greater in the long run.
Believe me - most of my rant is simply because I am sad to have had to move.
edit on 1-7-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Denver's housing market is on fire.

One factor driving the demand: pot. The budding industry has impacted home prices since the state legalized marijuana in 2012.
"There has been a huge bump in real estate prices due to the legalization of marijuana," according to James Paine, managing partner at West Realty Advisors. "It's massively pushed up raw land and industry prices."
In March, Denver experienced the second-largest jump in annual home prices at 10%, just behind San Francisco, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index.
money.cnn.com...

Easterling is among a growing number of homeless people who have recently come to Colorado seeking its legal marijuana, and who now remain in the state and occupy beds in shelters, according to service providers.

"The older ones are coming for medical (marijuana), the younger ones are coming just because it's legal," said Brett Van Sickle, director of Denver's Salvation Army Crossroads Shelter, which has more than doubled its staff to accommodate the increase.

www.cbsnews.com...

Feds Release Marijuana Stats That Show Negative Effects Of Legalization
denver.cbslocal.com...

Full reports
www.rmhidta.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

I imagine that sometime back in the prohibition era, someone made the same argument you are making now!

only difference is, alcohol can cause death, weed cannot!

so go figure!

I doubt you will read.

In 2014, when retail marijuana stores began operating, there was a 32 percent
increase in marijuana-related traffic deaths in just one year.
• Colorado marijuana-related traffic deaths increased 92 percent from 2010 – 2014.
During the same time periods all traffic deaths only increased 8 percent
respectively.

Many deaths
www.rmhidta.org...

Teen Driver Under the Influence Kills a High School Student: In November 2014,
a teenager driving under the influence of marijuana hit and killed a 16-year-old high
school student. One of the passengers in the vehicle said that the driver had been
smoking “weed” in the car and was too high to drive safely.

Consistent with the past, in 2014 still only 47 percent of operators involved in
traffic deaths were tested for drug impairment. Out of those who were tested,
about 1 in 4 tested positive for marijuana.

Page 79

Marijuana Intoxication Blamed for More Deaths, Injuries: CBS4 Investigates
reporter Brian Maass, in May of 2015, did a report on marijuana intoxication and
deaths.

www.rmhidta.org...

• In 2014, when retail marijuana businesses began operating, there was a 38
percent increase in the number of marijuana-related hospitalizations in only one
year.

• In the three years after medical marijuana was commercialized, compared to the
three years prior, there was a 46 percent increase in hospitalizations related to
marijuana

In 2013, there were 12 THC extraction lab explosions compared to 32 in 2014.
• In 2013, there were 18 injuries from THC extraction lab explosions compared to
30 in 2014.

National THC potency has risen from an average of 3.96 percent in 1995 to an
average of 12.55 percent in 2013. The average potency in Colorado was 17.1
percent.

edit on 1-7-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
As a Realtor here in TN we too have prices on the rise so believe me it's not just in any one particular state. We are about to crash again. What goes up must come down.

I was speaking with a police officer the other day about my 18 yr old son wanting to be a cop. He has to be clean from any "drug" for 2 years along with other qualifications. He told me he and a lot of the old timers do not care so much about pot simply because out of all their years of policing they haven't ever been in fear for their life if someone is high on marijuana. They do not see crimes committed from people who have smoked. Mostly he said if not all of his friends and family either have done it or still use it and it's not that big of a deal. People who are stoned normally don't drive and when they do they are extra cautious.

Cannabis heals the sick. Its definitely a good thing. If everyone used cannabis we would have a much different world, a more peaceful and loving world!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Looks like the studies done and the figures don't agree with your police friends.

The real estate costs increase in the areas where pot is legalized are not the same as other areas.

Using a medication with care so the kids are not using it and everyone wanting to not live in their right and under their control minds are two very different issues.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Seriously guy, I'm not opposed to weed. I will say this, "back in my day" you smoked weed, chilled and ate weird food combos. They have now purified the THC and concentrate it to such a purity, people ingest it and kill people, jump off building and things you just would expect of weed. It's not the plant God intended....leave it to man.

posted on Jul, 1 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake
I go outside and talk to people. I have talks with so many people that have moved her and it's almost always said sort of tounge and cheek....why do people feel the need to do hat? There is truth in e joking...
Anyway, there is no shortage of reports/stories on the subject.

Pot/home prices

<< 1    3  4 >>

join