It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumps "African American" not offended.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Just to be clear, I wasn't offended at all at what Trump said. I don't think he meant it in any kind of ownership way. I just think he's completely clumsy and not at all graceful about what he's saying. He DOESN'T think. He "speaks his mind" and this is the kind of thoughtless ramblings that go on in his head... Not worth being offended about, IMO. Get offended about black people getting shot by cops in large numbers, gay people getting fired and refused business for their sexuality, but don't waste your offense on some stupid guy saying something stupid.

And on the other hand, why do so many (on the right) care so passionately what these so-called "SJWs" think, feel or say? No one has answered that yet...

that's the new "catch-phrase" being used by the right for anyone that protests right-wingers or any of their positions....SJWs = bad

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Why can't I just be American? Everyone else is. I don't give a crap about Jesse Jackass or Al Sharpie. And I can assure the rest of America that the majority of black Americans don't respect or like either of these cretins. Jesse is partly responsible for the term African-American. Whenever a black person is described in this country, it's African-American
F@$# that. I'm as American as anyone here. Both my grandfather's served in WWII and my paternal grandfather earned a Purple Heart. My dad and uncle's are Viet Nam veterans and my cousins are serving as we speak. How American is that? I'm as American as anyone else. Never been to Africa, and if we want to go back, my great-great grandpa on my dad's side was white. That's where my surname comes from. My point is the term African-American is an in appropriate term. I'm an American. I never, ever hear white people refer to themselves as European Americans. Just American. Charlize Theron is African-American. Food for thought. Eat up.
edit on 4-6-2016 by JimiBlack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Just to be clear, I wasn't offended at all at what Trump said. I don't think he meant it in any kind of ownership way.

As much as I love razzing the Trumpettes - I have to agree

But, if you take that meaning away, we're still left with a man that felt it necessary to pick this man out of a crowd and use him to his own advantage. He was a prop

So - there we are

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Just to be clear, I wasn't offended at all at what Trump said. I don't think he meant it in any kind of ownership way.

As much as I love razzing the Trumpettes - I have to agree

But, if you take that meaning away, we're still left with a man that felt it necessary to pick this man out of a crowd and use him to his own advantage. He was a prop

So - there we are
Damn right.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I agree completely! And the way Trump's going after the "Mexican" judge, saying he should recuse himself JUST BECAUSE HE'S (supposedly) Mexican, is the epitome of racial stereotyping and is more proof than ever that Trump's campaign definitely has a racist component to it, as olaru said, throwing out the dog whistles to get the racist dogs to come running.

What can you say? It works!

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

as olaru said, throwing out the dog whistles to get the racist dogs to come running.

What can you say? It works!

It does work - some people are easy

I'm not above doing a little slut shaming when it comes to Trump

:-)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: olaru12
I think the offensive part was when Donald claimed ownership of the Black guy.....as in MY African american....

Would you infer slave-like ownership if he said "my Irish supporter"?

No. The thought wouldn't even enter your mind. You're looking for things to play identity politics with.

And it makes me wonder who the real racists are.

I think there is a huge racial component to Trumps campaign. Trump isn't stupid, he knows how to appeal to a targeted demographic without overt racism, but it's certainly implied.

Considering he once proposed a race-based season of the Apprentice, we can see there's a common (race-based) theme within mastermind Trump. Whether he is racist or just using the (racial) component (or both) to further himself/his campaign remains to be seen. He knows how to play everyone. He used this guy in the audience, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was a plant, since he's A) a lone black man who B) happens to be running for congress under the GOP himself). How convenient.

Donald Trump once floated the idea of a race-based season of his hit reality television show "The Apprentice," where teams would be divided based on the color of their skin.
CBS

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: misskat1

I called out, ‘Uncle Donald, Uncle Donald,’” Cheadle said.

"Uncle Donald," seriously?

Wow, he's acting in the black-white narrative himself, it seems.

Regardless of whether this man (who may support Trump) was offended or not, I'd wager others were.

People can be offended you like your wife's cooking, or your husband's. People can get offended over anything. Them being offended when they shouldn't be is still ridiculous. Trump addressed one person, that person took no offense apparently.

Trump is still dumb.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Them being offended when they shouldn't be is still ridiculous.

Who is the authority on who should or shouldn't be offended, though? I might be offended by something that you don't find offensive at all. Who is anyone, to tell me that I shouldn't be offended, just because they aren't?

I really don't get this whole "offended" thing. Why are people so up each other's asses about whether or not they should or shouldn't be offended?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I called out, ‘Uncle Donald, Uncle Donald,’” Cheadle said.

"Uncle Donald," seriously?

Wow, he's acting in the black-white narrative himself, it seems.

Regardless of whether this man (who may support Trump) was offended or not, I'd wager others were.

People can be offended you like your wife's cooking, or your husband's. People can get offended over anything. Them being offended when they shouldn't be is still ridiculous. Trump addressed one person, that person took no offense apparently.

Trump is still dumb.

The point I was making was the words Gregory Cheadle himself used: "Uncle Donald." That overtly plays into the racial narrative itself, even though I have no idea why he used those words.

But yes, people can be offended by anything, however justified or silly. Regardless, it's their own fault for getting offended.

That said, who are you to say when people should be offended?

Just because this guy apparently wasn't offended doesn't mean that other blacks who hear the comment aren't offended. To them it might have a very clear racial meaning, subtle or otherwise, implying "ownership," when he said "MY African American."

I'm not offended, but I can easily see how some might be.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

By the same token who are you (or is anyone) to say it IS offensive? The comment was made to one person. That person was not offended. The only one with true authority to say if it is or is not offensive decided it was not.

You can dislike Trump and what he says, but the commend did not offend the person it was made to and about.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"Uncle Donald, Uncle Donald!"? Hahaha, why would he say that?

Yeah, this is weird.. I'm no liberal but it's weird how he says "my African American"..

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Everything with Trump is weird.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

By the same token who are you (or is anyone) to say it IS offensive? The comment was made to one person. That person was not offended. The only one with true authority to say if it is or is not offensive decided it was not.

You can dislike Trump and what he says, but the commend did not offend the person it was made to and about.

It stands to reason that it is offensive to someone.

As I said in the rest of my post:

Just because this guy apparently wasn't offended doesn't mean that other blacks who hear the comment aren't offended. To them it might have a very clear racial meaning, subtle or otherwise, implying "ownership," when he said "MY African American."
emphasis added

That is something many whites do not understand because they weren't bought and sold into slavery in this country for a couple centuries anywhere near the same degree blacks were. And it shows, by all the people saying "this isn't offensive." No, not to you, or to me, but to a lot of blacks it sure as hell is.

Perspective, friend.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

What does one expect him to say?

The whole speech was ridiculous.

Before Trump got to "my African American over there", he lied about the fact that he was encouraging violence against protesters.
"Be very very nice".

Really Trump?

I doubt that authoritarian Trump is sincerely reversing course.

Is it too much to ask businessman turned politician to be honest?

Have You even watched one of His speeches? I've watched 6 of them at least and He has never said to kill or hurt those protestors. I think He is smart enough to realize everything He says is under the microscope and if He slips up it will be all over the news.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The comment was made to a crowd at a rally. Not to one person.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: jkm1864

You missed this one

www.mediaite.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Yes. And everyone else in the media oh and Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan and....

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Too funny not to share: www.youtube.com...

Im sure there are a lot of idiots who will find this offensive.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Cnn interview if interested www.cnn.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join