It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“American Sniper” Chris Kyle Distorted His Military Record, Documents Show

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The Intercept

No American has been more associated with the Navy SEAL mystique than Chris Kyle, known as the deadliest sniper in U.S. military history. His bestselling autobiography, American Sniper — a story of honor, glory, and quiet heroism — has sold more than a million copies. The movie adaptation became the highest-grossing war film in American history.

“All told,” Kyle wrote in his book, “I would end my career as a SEAL with two Silver Stars and five Bronze [Stars], all for valor.”

But Kyle, who was murdered by a fellow military veteran several years after leaving the Navy, embellished his military record, according to internal Navy documents obtained by The Intercept. During his 10 years of military service and four deployments, Kyle earned one Silver Star and three Bronze Stars with Valor, a record confirmed by Navy officials.

I just don't understand why he embellished his medals like that, the things that made him a hero had nothing to do with his medal count. Kyle was also ruled to have lied about his altercation with Jesse Ventura. Stolen valor is disgusting in my opinion and his case just stupid and needless. Would his book have sold less copies if he was honest about his medal count? Not been made into a movie? All of it makes me wonder how many more lies he told in his book.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Exactly what made this particular mercenary a hero?

I've had a tough time swallowing anything about this man, non of it seemed to pass the sniff test.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It is what it is. He is no longer able to answer why.

He may have screwed up he may have lied we will not know. As far as the movie goes it wasn't that good anyway and he didn't write it because he was already dead.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Wouldnt be the first time that DoD records were fubared...

We were told repeatedly to keep personnel track of everything we were awarded..

Not saying thats what happened, just that I have a little doubt about DoD record keeping always being accurate.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Is it possible that he received medals for operations that cannot be made public therefor the medals cannot be made public or confirmed?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
He didn't. Those medals were on his Form DD214 just EXACTLY as he related them. The "discrepancy" here is BETWEEN the DD214 and the Navy Records Center, that claims he was awarded fewer medals. He wasn't in the loop here as he did not write his own DD214. Nobody does. You don't even see it until you are discharged. The DD214 is NOT always accurate because it depends on the LOCAL Yeoman (A clerk) to type it in correctly. But the fact is a local commander had to have initiated writing that stuff up. If Navy Records "didn't get the memo" then it could very well be a difference, but that doesn't mean he didn't earn the medals. And to claim that is the case is very sloppy journalism.

Note: Anyone ever in the US armed services knows about the DD214. We all have one. It's "proof of service" for all sorts of things, from qualifying for VA benefits like the GI Bill to claiming credit on state retirement systems. It is an essential record that you never throw away.

As far as I am concerned, the DD214 is proof aplenty and if Naval Records says something different, let them prove it.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

No. That is not how it works.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Who cares how many stars or whatever he got? So what if he exaggerated it?

If your so but hurt over it then you shouldnt of bought into the whole hollywood depiction of his life, lol

The guy wanted to make money for his family, and that he did. He did what many more of you would of done to provide for their family.

I say fair play to him

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Maybe not. I was pinned twice with medals where all documentation was immediately shredded after the presentation. Back then there was no method of filing awards which were highly classified. I thought it was the damned dumbest thing the military had Ever invented. Most of my evaluations were just blank. It's not like that anymore.

There are people like Kyle in every walk of life. You can't believe half of what they say ... just pathological liars. Funny how much financial trouble he got in over it ... but Hillary ... crickets.

Kyle did what he did. The Navy gave him what they gave him. If he only got one Silver Star ... that still makes him a bad ass ... and no one can take that away from him. Everything else ... I forgive him that.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

The Naval records are linked as well.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

The Naval records are linked as well.

I understand that. Did you understand what I said? Have you ever been in the service? Do you have a DD214? Do you understand that it is an extremely important document? It is a legal record of your service. You put it in a safe or safe deposit box and keep it your entire life. When my father died at 87 one of the only old papers he had was his DD214 from World War Two.

The DD214 reflects what Kyle said. Navy Records does not. Kyle DID NOT write his own DD214. Nobody ever does. You NEVER SEE your DD214 until you are discharged. Do you get that part? You NEVER SEE your DD214 until you leave the service.

Kyle and the DD214 AGREE. Navy Records does not. Kyle claimed to have gotten X medals and his DD214 REFLECTS that he got those X medals. Even though he never saw his DD214 until he was released from service, it agrees with what he said.

Are you beginning to get the picture here?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think he was truthful about the medals.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
He didn't. Those medals were on his Form DD214 just EXACTLY as he related them. The "discrepancy" here is BETWEEN the DD214 and the Navy Records Center, that claims he was awarded fewer medals. He wasn't in the loop here as he did not write his own DD214. Nobody does. You don't even see it until you are discharged. The DD214 is NOT always accurate because it depends on the LOCAL Yeoman (A clerk) to type it in correctly. But the fact is a local commander had to have initiated writing that stuff up. If Navy Records "didn't get the memo" then it could very well be a difference, but that doesn't mean he didn't earn the medals. And to claim that is the case is very sloppy journalism.

Note: Anyone ever in the US armed services knows about the DD214. We all have one. It's "proof of service" for all sorts of things, from qualifying for VA benefits like the GI Bill to claiming credit on state retirement systems. It is an essential record that you never throw away.

As far as I am concerned, the DD214 is proof aplenty and if Naval Records says something different, let them prove it.

You are correct,sir!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Wow, calm down. If the case is that the Naval records are wrong and the DD214 is correct then that's what it is. What difference does it make if I was in the military or not, am I not entitled to have an opinion on someone who did if I didn't serve?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Then you should state that you are basing your opinion from a position of ignorance and lack of knowledge on the topic at hand. While the official Govt. record (Chris Kyle's DD214, ISSUED TO HIM BY THE DOD) corroborates his story.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

not me. i don't know about when you where discharged, but when i was, i had to go to admin and spend about a hour or so going over the DD214 and other paper work. found a couple of things that were wrong.

i say if he received the medals, then his widow, parents. or who ever has them should produce the citations, Medal Certificate, and the medals themselves. in fact if i'm not mistaken all medals have a serial number engraved on them.
that in its self is not to say that they kept good track of such things

most self respecting recipients keep all of that. that right there would put a end to this. and we would know if he's just another governor, who is full of hot air or as in the case the gov brought against his estate whether he lied here to or not.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

He most likely did not embellish his record if it was on his DD214 I got out in 2008, as an E6...most Navy commands maintain your paper record and are responsible for updating the electronic record....In my 11 years active I never seen an E-6 going for E-7 that did not have discrepancies between the two. In many cases, the service member never even sees his electric record until going up for E-7. Before mid to late 2000's I don't think all commands even had a means to update the electronic records, if they even do now. This is not uncommon at all and #ty journalism to run with this story without checking for sure.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I don't think family members should have to go through all that.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: swimmer15

I'm willing to accept that possibility and agree it's crap journalism if they didn't check for sure.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

We are all welcome to our opinion.

However, where matters of fact come into play, some people simply have the facts available, and others do not. It is not something to be personally offended by, simply a thing to learn from.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join