It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender roles and the effects of shifting these roles on modern day society.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
I don't understand why cultural gender roles are part of the same conversation as transgender?

Because it is being forced as a new normal. Culturally we are made to accept them as they are. I am okay with this but genetically and scientifically it is not normal.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad
a reply to: kaylaluv

Choosing to inject your body with hormones is a choice.

So is every other decision we make in life. The more important question is: WHY DOES IT MATTER?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Choosing to inject your body with hormones is a choice.

The choice is between being miserable with your whole life being a sham, or being happier living a true life. Which would you choose? Have YOU ever had gender dysphoria or had a close family member or friend with gender dysphoria? I suspect not, so I suspect you don't really know what you are talking about. Common mistake many make who have no personal experience with it.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

Ok.

Like I said it's part of the cult of the new world order to invert reality and it's an attack on the intelligent force architect of the universe.

There are elite groups of cultist who believe man is more powerful than god and who think they can change natural laws and who think they can master the elements and control the universe through the intelligence of man.

It's a luciferian agenda.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Because it is being forced as a new normal. Culturally we are made to accept them as they are. I am okay with this but genetically and scientifically it is not normal.

Who defines "normal?" We each define that ourselves based on our belief structure. You don't need to accept them for who they are, we just need to afford them the right to determine for themselves what they are. Isn't that fair?

Scientifically it may not be prevalent, but since it does happen naturally on occasion I'd say that it certainly IS normal.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

This discussion, again, is about how our biological predispositions are effecting us when it comes to a new generation of this Ze Zer Zim situation.

I agree that we cannot tell someone what to do with their bodies BUT the scientific evidence is there that it is effecting us as a whole society, not just the minority of "genders". Biologically, we are all predispositioned to WANT certain things. Take food for example. America is getting fat because historically we used to seek out higher caloric intake and associated calories with survival. Now we over eat, as a nation, because our biological urges tell us "food is life" and instead of having a recommended portion size, we eat until we are full. Not to mention our sedentary lifestyles have brought forth disease. It's all linked back to our genetics so it is worth a discussion about. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

I don't live a textbook, I just live my life. I'm just not getting what you're all about. Seems far more complicated then it needs to be.

I worked in publishing. Met many authors. It's a "craft" to sell a book these days. There's a lot behind a successful book.

At 70 years I've seen great strides in women's equality. Today's generation takes it for granted - - which is both good and bad.

My 15 year old granddaughter knows what she wants, demands it, and doesn't back down til she gets it. Very different then my era.

Women's equality to me is very basic. Equal Pay. Equal opportunity.

Ben Barras is someone I like to read/listen to. He is fighting for women equality in the field of science. He has unique insight as he began his life and career as Barbara Barras.

Experience of sexism Barres has described experiences of gender discrimination in MIT. Once, after solving a difficult math problem that stumped many male students, he was charged with an accusation that it was solved for him by a boyfriend. He was the top student in the class, but found it hard to get a willing supervisor for research. He lost a scholarship to a man who had only one publication, while he already had six. While earning a PhD at Harvard, he was told that he was to win a scientific competition. Between him and one man, the Dean confided to him saying, “I have read both applications, and it’s going to be you; your application is so much better.” But the award was given to the man, who dropped out of science a year later.] After transitioning, he noticed that people who were not aware of his transgender status treated him with respect much more than when he presented as a woman. After delivering his first seminar as a man, one scientist was overheard to comment, “Ben Barres gave a great seminar today, but his work is much better than his sister’s [believing Barbara to be his sister] work. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

Who defines "normal?" We each define that ourselves based on our belief structure. You don't need to accept them for who they are, we just need to afford them the right to determine for themselves what they are. Isn't that fair?

Scientifically it may not be prevalent, but since it does happen naturally on occasion I'd say that it certainly IS normal.

Not disagreeing with you on treatment of people... I am not sure how anyone would get that out of the things I have said. I am just discussing the EFFECTS on society.

As far as normal goes, I define it as an average. Or, as the dictionary puts it quite clearly-

conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

There are elite groups of cultist who believe man is more powerful than god and who think they can change natural laws and who think they can master the elements and control the universe through the intelligence of man.

It's a luciferian agenda.

Are you one of those people who say that if God had wanted man to fly, he would have made him born with wings? Guess you are against cars too - the natural way is to walk using the legs God gave you. Guess you better stop using your computer as well, as it isn't found in nature.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Your totally clueless.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=20795277]kaylaluv[/

The choice is between being miserable with your whole life being a sham, or being happier living a true life. Which would you choose? Have YOU ever had gender dysphoria or had a close family member or friend with gender dysphoria? I suspect not, so I suspect you don't really know what you are talking about. Common mistake many make who have no personal experience with it.

Clearly you skipped over the part where I have diagnosed Body Dysmorphia

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Ooooh, nice comeback. Such a clever debater you are.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I don't understand why cultural gender roles are part of the same conversation as transgender?

We are all mutations from the first human.

Gender variances are normal. They've just been shoved out of "polite society".

What is happening today is normal. Locking normal variations in a closet so as not to disturb certain people is archaic.

We are progressing.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Can I see your credentials?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

a reply to: [post=20795277]kaylaluv[/

Clearly not the same thing.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Show me another species on the planet where gender variations are normal and I'm talking about bugs and fish that asexual and reproduce.

I'm talking mammals walking on land.

As a general rule most mammals (possibly all) have gender roles...

Just saying humans may be more fluid but, as above so below...
edit on 5/31/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Your gender identity is generally ascribed to you from the moment you are born. Your dad sees your little legs kicking around and calls you his strong boy who will play for Utd when your older. Uncle comes to visit with a city soccer shirt. It's clear your a boy, being prepared for masculinity. All your first clothes will be blue, you'll be called mommas little tough guy your father will direct you in manly pursuits. You will identify with tv and Film characters like Han Solo of for the less masculine, Luke skywalker, you will want to emulate the bigger boys you see. Your identity has become constructed before you even knew your natural genetic identity.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Show me another species on the planet where gender variations are normal and I'm talking about bugs and fish that asexual and reproduce.

I'm talking mammals walking on land.

We are not other animals. Show me another animal with a microscope.

Human's choose how they live their lives.

And I expected that comeback - - just wasn't sure who it would come from.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Well to deny that hormones and skeletal musculature don't play a roll in gender roles and identity is totally ignorant.

It's only in modern technological culture that we begin to question these things, typically many roles we identified by physical and emotional intuitive characteristics and not by how someone feels but by the jobs you needed to accomplish to ensure survival.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

As above so below

They are natural laws governing our time space that we do not necessarily have control over to the degree we believe we do.

Belief being the operative word.

It's almost like a new religion is forming.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join