It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

any ukulele players in the house?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
my wife and i just scooped up a couple of mitchel concert ukes from guitar center. pretty good sale going on.
anyway, i played guitar for a long time but had an accident and its not possible for me.

this ukulele is awesome. i wish i would have picked up one sooner.

any tips? tricks? advice? links?

all appreciated

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sounds awesome.

I play a little guitar, but mostly drums.

I don't know much about ukes but for the sake of conversation I have a friend that was given a cross between mandolin and a banjo...has no makers markings either.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

George Formby. King Of The Ukulele.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

i played guitar for a long time but had an accident and its not possible for me.

What happened?

I fractured the scaphoid in my left wrist in the mid 90's, to date it's the most painful brake I've ever had and still causes problems every time I play Guitar.

I had a look around and found some sites that may help..

Ukulele tuner
ukulele chord charts
ultimate-guitar.com Top 100 Ukulele Tabs

I hope this helps...

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yes. Up in the attic with the accordion players and the harpsichord players ...just kidding. Lol

I always think of Don Ho when I hear the ukulele. Tiny bubbles...

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: GAV911A

left finger amputated at the pip joint. left middle repair

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
An old man that was a professional guitar player in the 60's thats now playing in a Uke club that I go to. Once said to me, "I learned to play the guitar for 40 years, when I started playing the uke, I had to learn how to have fun!" Just have fun, and don't worry about correct or incorrect methods. It's a beautiful, and simple instrument, that is all about fun..

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

50-year guitar player here. My buddies came to visit a year ago, and they had two ukes, which they left with us. Since then, I've been delving into rock anthems on the ukulele. It's a GAS! Especially when greatly amplified with a good bit of gain and distortion.

I absolutely love it. I don't use the felt ukulele pick. Naw. Mostly fingerpick, or occasionally use a real pick.

Also, there are a lot of Celtic and classical tabs for the ukulele. All an absolute blast. Explore! Rock on!

ETA: check out Creep - Radiohead
edit on 30/5/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

ETA again! I love the site elderlyinstruments.com. Mostly, I love it when I get stuff from them, that the Customs department is leery of what I've ordered.

Not affiliated with them, just like the service and selection and prices. I bought a Martin guitar from them -- first guitar I've ever bought without first playing it.

They have a fair selection of both active and passive ukulele pickups.
edit on 30/5/16 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I started playing in 4th grade. I sadly cannot play by ear, let alone any instrument. I used to know of a great website that had chords and the picking, if I remember it I'll let you know.

top topics

join