It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret German WW2 code machine found on eBay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
One part of this story that is missing is how this type writer ended up where it was in the possession of the seller.

What was a WW2 Nazi typewriter doing in somebody's garage in England?

You'd be surprised what becomes of these things. What you and I value isn't necessarily what another will value. As the saying goes, "one mans trash is another mans treasure." Fitting, considering this artifact had been consigned to a pile of rubbish, as the article says. In the 19th Century Egyptian railways found a cheaper fuel source than coal. They began burning mummies, believe it or not. The pyramids themselves were once a brilliant white because they were covered in polished Taura Limestone which was said to reflect the sun's light, making the pyramids visible throughout Mesopotamia, or a fair portion of it. The casing was removed for building materials. An ancient pyramid in South America was demolished a few years ago, and its blocks were also used for building materials. The Soviets famously shelled a significant national heritage site containing priceless artifacts during WW2. The Nazis were occupying the structure and it apparently became one of those "had to destroy the village to save it" situations, though the Russians never officially acknowledged that they shelled the Amber Room into oblivion, as it was significant to the Russian people. ISIS is said to be actively seeking out archeological sites and destroying them. Nations frequently destroy ancient historic sites of their enemies, and even artifacts of their own because it conflicts with the party line. You'd be surprised how much of Apollo was dismantled and destroyed, or otherwise lost.

My point is that someone didn't appreciate the machines value. Maybe it immediately meant nothing because they didn't need it after the Nazis were defeated and they happened to hate their wartime adversaries, so they didn't treasure that Nazis accomplishment. Maybe a British spy kept it as a memento, and as spies keep secrets, he took that secret to his grave, and the artifact just because "an old typewriter" after that. Maybe a German spy was in possession of it, and ditched it or hid it after the war ended, never mentioning it to anyone, as you might expect. These things happen.

Personally, I know my family line back to the 1500s, but my family has repeatedly made an impression on history. I've even visited the estate they held in the 1600s. Most people however don't know what their ancestors were doing during WW2, let alone half a century ago. It's understandable that the story behind the keyboard and machine generally should be unknown.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Navarro

I agree. ...I suspect that at the time this artifact came into possession of the person that placed it in the garage.....it was simply viewed as a now obsolete piece of scrap.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

I'd like to think that somebody during and after the war would have the foresight to know that a cryptograph used by the Nazis would have value.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: HarryJoy

I'd like to think that somebody during and after the war would have the foresight to know that a cryptograph used by the Nazis would have value.

Honestly though. ...what value does it REALLY have ? I mean yes when it was first found it was valuable because they needed to understand how it works.

But today. ...the most value it could have would be for it to be put on display in a museum. Where people would stand and look at it for probably less then a minute each....and where husbands would say to their wives. Do you know that because of machines like that the Germans almost won the war ? And wives would say "oh my" and then they would walk away. ..never to think about the machine again .

And it may very well be...that the machine may never see the light of day again. It may sit on a shelf in the museum'''s storage room. ..telling the other machines about all of the secret messages that it sent ..and if it is very lucky. The museum janitor may come by and tickle it's keyboard with a feather duster a few times a year.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

wow must have been a german spy in WWII

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

wow ebay let seller sell Nazis item?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

how much did it sell for?