It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrants Sue After Landlord Demands Documentation For Housing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
DBCowboy

Criminals with inalienable human rights, yes.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Only knowing what is put in the article there are a few other things that should be considered.

Several things that will play into this that will come out in the court process. The first is that if this is just for that particular group or for everyone who lives there. If the landlord can produce evidence to that effect that he does this to everyone, then it is not discrimination.

Another would be the actual laws of the state, would come into play. One would be the sex offender laws, where those who are on said regerstry or have been convicted of such would not live with in a certain number of feet where children gather, and if the park is near a school, would require that there be criminal back ground checks done.

But then there is the other detail that could be argued in a court and that is spacing requirements for a place. In most states, there is only a certain number of people that can live in a house or an apartment, and any more than that would violate health and housing statutes. That means if it is a 3 bedroom house, one could not have say 12 people living there.

Also most places, if you rent have a limit on the number of people visiting or even staying at a place. If you rent a place and then move people in after living there, and they are there longer than say 20 days, and are receiving mail, could be considered a violation of most leases.

So ultimately it will come down to what the lease states, including the number of people that were on it, and if the landlord does this for everyone who he rents to.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Instead of the usual whining we're going to hear, pleading for us to feel sorry for these "poor people", claiming they are being targeted because they're brown, how about we finally start upholding the law?
How about we finally stop bending over to accommodate criminals that knowingly broke those laws? We'd do the same for any other criminal class, but illegals, [ yes, I said Illegals. Not "undocumented immigrants " or any other PC crap you want to come up with. ILLEGALS ] seem to be able to flaunt those laws and get away with it. We want to see politicians jailed because they are corrupt, we want to see cops jailed for breaking the law, so why do people who sneak across borders get a free pass?
People want to see our legal system overhauled so that money, power and position don't mean an automatic pass, but ignore this particular class of criminals because......why?
No? ...didn't think so.
Ok...On to the whine fest.
Can't wait to see who calls me a racist.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
DAVID64

1. We send illegals back across the border every day. So, what free pass? They just keep sneaking back in. Its an ongoing battle that shows little signs of recourse in the immediate future. In the meantime, we still should treat the majority of them with dignity.

2. I didn't realize "illegal alien" was a race... 😕

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

2. I didn't realize "illegal alien" was a race... 😕

Oh, just wait for it.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

On other thing to consider is that there is no threat of eviction (which implies that people will come home from work one day to find all their belongings on the street, for example).

The article states that leases would not be renewed unless X-documentation was provided. The fact that the landlord actually, formally leases the properties (rather than a potentially off the books, month-to-month basis) seems to show that he is at least somewhat on the level.

People have leases that do not get renewed all the time for a whole host of reasons. Not renewing a lease, in and of itself, does not a crime make.

I also propose that, if this landlord was the racist that some are assuming he is, why would he have rented to minorities to begin with?

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Criminals using the law to sue someone who doesn't want criminals on their property.

America has gone full retard.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: xuenchen

Well, land lords usually run credit checks, and in this case background checks, on new tenants and they do need your social security number to do that so nothing new here.

But, apparently these families have been living in their mobile homes for 2 years now? Why all the sudden do the landlords need it? Unless they are targeting them? I suppose the landlord can get away with it because technically he could say he needs these things to renew the lease. I guess we'll see what happens in court.

Maybe the guy just bought the park?

The old owner may have let them slide?

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

why would he not? every place i have rented has asked for id and social id#

they have to do this by law for insurance and liability purposes
edit on 24-5-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Swills

How many rights do illegal aliens have?

(not looking for an answer, because it isn't a fair question)

More than us. My mothers car was totaled when an illegal ran a red light and hit her. The cops just let the illegal go and there was no legal repercussions. My mother just paid off the car and She totaled it the day before Her birthday. The best part is She also got blessed with the hospital bill. The thing that really pisses Me off if it was the other way around they could have sued My mother for everything and won.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

They are criminals.

Are you sure they're criminals? It sounds like the landlord suspects people of being illegal and then changes lease terms so he can get information from them.

The lawsuit also alleges the landlord changed the lease status to month-to-month for any family with an illegal individual living in the residence. A member of one of the families said they already had to leave their home due to the demands of the landlord.

What's his method of suspecting someone is illegal? What if they're not criminals? The whole suit is over something the land lord alleges rather than has proven.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
why would he not? every place i have rented has asked for id and social id#

Anecdotal evidence is not relevant. I have never been asked an inappropriate question during a job interview, it does not mean these are not asked of other people. Your personal dealings with landlords may not be identical to the situation in the Original Post. If he asked all of his renters for the same documentation he has nothing to worry about.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: jkm1864

Something like that happened to my wife as well. Hit her car had fake doc's but by time this was found out he was gone. The police couldn't do anything even with having the plant number on the truck.

But I'm betting this landlord is doing the check now after letting them live there for two years due to the election. He most likely fears a crack down on Illegals in the coming year and does not want to be charger four housing them. Right now it's not a big deal, it's not illegal right now at least in some states but if they really crack down on them he'd be risking his neck. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't doing this for everyone that is renewing their lease this year.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I've actually had this happen to me, where the rental company that I was renting an apartment from required me to bring proper documentation when signing my second year lease.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The landlord has every right to demand legal documents from these people to make sure they are legal citizens. It's not discrimination, esspeciAlly since article itself says that these "tenants" actually had family members who were illegal living with them (against the law).

Screw illegals, there criminals and need to be dealt with and deported. It's facepalm worthy that there are still SJW on here who are trying to protect illegals. If you bleeding heart SJW feel so bad, then why don't you take the illegals into your own home?

a reply to: Aazadan
Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? The article says that "each of these tenants had family members who were illegal".
edit on 25-5-2016 by KaibaTheJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So people who are here illegally, and are in violation of a dozen laws at least, are upset that someone else might be breaking another one of said laws.

USA is pure insanity.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Funny, from reading The Washington Post article, things are slightly different.

It does appear he is requiring this proof from everyone in the mobile home community, which also happens to be largely Hispanic. Apparently the families who are suing *are* legal, but may have some illegal family members living with them, in which case the landlord won't renew the lease.

The families [. . .] say they and more than a dozen of their neighbors are being forced to move because the park’s managers are refusing to renew their leases if any resident in the household lacks proof of legal status.
emphasis added

While doing America's duty and separating families:

Rosy Giron de Reyes moved with her family to a more expensive apartment in Annandale after her landlord said her husband and 5-year-old son could stay but she would have to leave.

The larger issue is the case itself, since it is filed in Federal court:

a federal civil rights lawsuit Monday that advocates said could set a national precedent in fair-housing law.

Similar policies imposed by cities and counties across the country have been overturned in federal courts but few, if any, suits have been filed against private landlords,

“This type of discrimination is all too common, but the law is unfortunately far from clear,” said Ivy Finkenstadt, managing attorney [. . .] “We are hoping that the federal court in Alexandria will take it one step further and prohibit this practice by a private landlord as well.”

Once again, facts are always good.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: KaibaTheJedi
Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? The article says that "each of these tenants had family members who were illegal".

And they knew those people were illegal how?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I agree on that aspect, if he was a racist, and discriminating, he would not have done such in the first place.

What I believe happened is this: a couple rents a space or house from him. Then while staying there, they invite their extended family to come stay, thus exceeding the number of residents that are on the lease, that stay far longer than what would be acceptable, about 20 days, and when the lease is up, he is wanting to know who all is on the property. They are not wanting to provide such, so he is not renewing the lease and would expect them to leave.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: KaibaTheJedi

And they knew those people were illegal how?

They had no "paperz".

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join