It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that logically God cannot be omnipotent..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

a reply to: JoshuaCox

Also totally inaccurate. That kind of challenge to God has no merit to it in the first place.

Why not?

It's a non-sequitur. It has no real value except for a person's immature novelty. It has no real value other than to insult.
Asking God to do something needs virtue and honor and humility and love and forgiveness and sacrifice, not the pompous arrogance that would be displayed by your OP challenge. I am sure that with some serious thought that you or anyone can understand that if you think about it.

I think it shows that omnipotence is a fake or human concept that is easily "debunked"...

If a logic trap can show it is impossible to be omnipotent..them how could omnipotence exist?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I think that is a religious-based awsner and life is much more complex.

A heart-engulfing experiance through acceptance of one's higher power happends throughout various beleifs. One experiances something powerful and then immediately attributes it to their belief system.

One could be experiancing the same feeling wether in love with shiva or jesus. I'm not saying none of the experiances are real. But, rather that the perception of experiances varies greatly.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

To quote the only good line in batman vs. superman...

" if God is all powerful than he cannot be all good, but if God is all good, then he cannot be all powerful."

So could God create a boulder that is to big even for him to lift??

If he can't make a boulder that big, he can't do something..

If there is a boulder too big for him to lift, then he can't do something....

Making it logically impossible for God to be omnipotent..or at least he is less omnipotent than the human imagination...

Based on Human logic

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

In my opinion, the answer to this question depends on which deity one refers to. If one refers to the deity of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, then any omni attributes are highly unlikely.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

" if God is all powerful than he cannot be all good, but if God is all good, then he cannot be all powerful."

Explain to me why god cannot be omnipotent if he is all "good", which is a relative term anyway, just as omnipotence is.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
God could create a rock big enough that he could not lift it- and then after being unable to lift it, he could then lift it- if we were talking about a three dimensional being.
Or
God could create Jesus- and I imagine that there were many stones too heavy for him to lift... Whether or not you accept him as anything other than a possible historical figure- it is believed by many that he is God incarnate.
I believe that Jesus is God incarnate.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: apydomis
God could create a rock big enough that he could not lift it- and then after being unable to lift it, he could then lift it- if we were talking about a three dimensional being.
Or
God could create Jesus- and I imagine that there were many stones too heavy for him to lift... Whether or not you accept him as anything other than a possible historical figure- it is believed by many that he is God incarnate.
I believe that Jesus is God incarnate.

"G-d could create Jesus". Who exactly is or was "Jesus"?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Why would the concept of "big" or "heavy" be anything that can be applied to God?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Doesn't completely make sense.

If God himself can't lift a boulder that's to heavy then he can't rule this universe and makes that being not God.

If he can create multiple universes and govern them all the boulder has already been moved, if not then he's not omnipotent but the ones that created him are, thus if true then he's just the overseer of all things not in charge.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Your entire premise is based upon the false assumption that the ONLY reason God would not act is due to incapacity.

Your premise takes no account of choice.

God may simply not choose to create something beyond His capacity. If it doesn't exist, it isn't actually part of the multiverse, which is entirely the creation of God, and therefore it isn't a something which would be beyond God.

edit on 21/5/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Of course, since Grant Morrison shaped a lot of the new mythology of Batman and is a known occultist, I'm not sure I would go there for deep spiritual truths relating to God in the Biblical sense.

edit on 21-5-2016 by ketsuko because: Morrison did not write the screenplay; he's only worked on recent runs of Batman and Wonder Woman.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384

First you have to prove god is even real.

If god could prove he is real, then he could be criticised by those with a belief that sustains their faith.

but god can't prove he is real, therefore he exists.

And that is where I call it a day and say, god is not real. the belief in him is. and like children waiting for santa on christmas eve, it's a childish dream.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Also totally inaccurate. That kind of challenge to God has no merit to it in the first place.

Why not?

It's a non-sequitur. It has no real value except for a person's immature novelty. It has no real value other than to insult.
Asking God to do something needs virtue and honor and humility and love and forgiveness and sacrifice, not the pompous arrogance that would be displayed by your OP challenge. I am sure that with some serious thought that you or anyone can understand that if you think about it.

Twaddle. You are told to love him unconditionally, accept all the punishments this world receives from him for perceived sins, and still never criticise his actions.

If I say, prove you are worthy of it, then I simply ask nothing more than evidence to support what fools give away for free.

People who believe as you do, martyr themselves in shopping malls, for their all so brilliant gods.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Explain to me why god cannot be omnipotent if he is all "good", which is a relative term anyway, just as omnipotence is.

Because the universe is not all good and since the universe would be a reflection of its creator, then God would not be all good..

Nature doesn't care if you are good or evil, young or old.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parafitt

Why not?

Twaddle. You are told to love him unconditionally, accept all the punishments this world receives from him for perceived sins, and still never criticise his actions.

If I say, prove you are worthy of it, then I simply ask nothing more than evidence to support what fools give away for free.

People who believe as you do, martyr themselves in shopping malls, for their all so brilliant gods.

Even if you were to buy the entire biblical story.. Could you really consider God all good?!?!

Genocide, torture, exc....

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Of course, since Grant Morrison shaped a lot of the new mythology of Batman and is a known occultist, I'm not sure I would go there for deep spiritual truths relating to God in the Biblical sense.

Did grant Morrison write that line??

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Your entire premise is based upon the false assumption that the ONLY reason God would not act is due to incapacity.

God may simply not choose to create something beyond His capacity. If it doesn't exist, it isn't actually part of the multiverse, which is entirely the creation of God, and therefore it isn't a something which would be beyond God.

But if he were to chose to do so??

I just can't imagain that omnipotence can exist and human intellegence beat it...

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

So could God create a boulder that is to big even for him to lift??

If he can't make a boulder that big, he can't do something..

If there is a boulder too big for him to lift, then he can't do something....

Making it logically impossible for God to be omnipotent..or at least he is less omnipotent than the human imagination...

Perhaps he can make a boulder he can't lift because THE expects the boulder to lift itself... And to intervene causes the boulder to fail pre-assessed expectations

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The statement is meaningless wordplay. You're essentially asking "Can a being have unlimited or so great an amount of power that the being does not have enough power to do a task?"
That question makes no sense.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

But if he were to chose to do so??

I just can't imagain that omnipotence can exist and human intellegence beat it...

Rationally, God has reason to do His actions. He wouldn't thrash about irrationally, doing stuff without point or purpose, that is surely not the nature of God as revealed.

I would also doubt that human intelligence is sufficient to out-think God, but if our concept of God were a ridiculous caricature, I wouldn't expect it to stand up to rational onslaught.

edit on 22/5/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join