It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The rise of American authoritarianism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Well I'd say you are wrong on most of your assumptions. And to say I embrace it. Come back when you arent drunk.

What am I wrong about and why am I wrong?

This is what you said:

Go Trump! The rise of authoritarianism in America is based more on Leftist groups which support groups of people of very small count, yet outmatch the majority in power.

How about you cite an example or two and we can debate it from there?

I'm not drunk... yet.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

First off if his real name was Soetoeo why the hell would he change it to Obama? You have your facts wrong my man.

Secondly how is it his fault if Russia or China tried to invade? He didn't take away your precious guns.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The Guru Papers-Masks of Authoritarian Power" by Alstead and Kramer, two psychologists in 1993. Their specific examples of authoritarianism are cults and cult leaders. Kind of a guide on how to recognize authoritarians and authoritarianism.
I read it back then and have been on the watch now for all that time. Some how I feel that many are coming to understand the immensity of authoritarianism in our world. It is not a lesson lightly learned. It takes not only an understanding of authoritarians 'out there' but the ability to understand the authoritarians 'in here'.
Indeed, it takes finding the ability to understand that these tendencies reside in each of us to one degree or another.
Leaving the question of degree. On a scale. And right now, at the top of the scale? Two "mighty eligible" contenders.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Oh I am willing.

You're more than willing and we all know that. However that isn't the topic though is it. This topic is focused on the Right and not the Left. So basically all you're doing is derailing this topic for your own. That is not only rude but dishonest as well. You're completely free to make your own thread on the Authoritarian Left though and that is fine. But as far as this thread goes your options are basically to counter the OP's argument and show how his info is incorrect. Or to side with the OP and include more info adding more evidence to his argument. Or you can go make your own about the Left doing the same.

But just saying the OP is wrong and the the Left is doing what the OP is saying the Right is doing isn't an argument against his. It's just adding an additional subject along with his. This shows your bias as well.

But I'm sure had this OP been about the Authoritarian Left you would have been unbiased in your response and said, "Well, wait. What about the Authoritarian Right." Or are you saying that there is no such symptoms of Authoritarianism on the Right at all???

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This country has avoided invasion for two centuries for ONE reason... private gun ownership.

Ya it totally isn't our ocean barriers that are guarded by one the biggest navy in the world...
Russia and China would have to come over from the Pacific, not exactly a hop skip and a jump to get over.

Times change. It will become a hop skip and jump before too long if it isn't already. Technology grows and boundaries blur, but private gun ownership will always be a deterrent.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Private guns don't stop nukes or viruses.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

This topic is focused on the Right and not the Left. So basically all you're doing is derailing this topic for your own.

That was hilarious.

Because Trump isn't even a 'right' winger.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

First off if his real name was Soetoeo why the hell would he change it to Obama? You have your facts wrong my man.

Secondly how is it his fault if Russia or China tried to invade? He didn't take away your precious guns.

My facts are NOT wrong.

Mark my words, Russia and China will attempt an invasion between now and 2018. Our military has been weakened, and our West Coast is soft. The only thing standing between those two armies, and the Rocky Mts... gun owners.

Our military might has been intentionally dispersed all over the world... by the Obama administration.

Look up the statistics.

We are wide open to foreign aggression, and Obama wants it that way.

Wake the f**K up people!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

The 2nd Amendment would not stop the takeover by authoritarians. This is what I think a lot of people fail to realize.

Who exactly do you think authoritarians are? Authoritarians can be you, me or any of us. In fact, they are most often perpetrated by supporters of populist movements who are convinced that what they are doing, they do out of necessity and for the good of themselves, their families, their friends and neighbors and their countries.

Are you familiar with the below quote?

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun"

Do you know who said it and in what context? It was Mao Zedong and the context was reinforcing in the minds of the party loyalists that armed conflict was unavoidable if they were to seize political power.

There's a popular myth about authoritarians dictators that they "disarm" the people and then take power. This isn't how things work. In fact, in many cases, authoritarian regimes have in fact relied entirely on armed civilians to seize power from the former government. In other cases, they have come to power through popular vote or through thing like military coups (which also have popular support).

These men more often than not come to power to the cheers of the masses. They're typically viewed initially as revolutionary freedom fighters, patriots and even saviors. You name for me one authoritarian takeover attempt that was ever stopped by an armed citizenry or one successful authoritarian takeover that could have been stopped if citizens had been armed.
edit on 2016-5-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It's about Trump, whatever he is and also focused on the Right as well. It pretty clearly points that out.

Trump is in fact running on the RNC ticket and is running Conservative. So you can try and avoid reality all you want but that is a fact. Doesn't mean he is what you would call Right Leaning or Conservative but that is what he's calling himself and what party he is running for so you're just gonna have to deal with it.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

Our military might has been intentionally dispersed all over the world... by the Obama administration.

Obviously our military is dispersed all over the world. But no way in hell did all that happen under just Obama. We've been inserting our military in various other countries for way longer than the Obama Admin. We have bases in over 100 other countries. That didn't all happen in just the past 8 years.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The 2nd Amendment was written by men that knew that Government could never be trusted.

Chairman Mao executed millions. Millions of unarmed citizens. THAT is the difference.

If Chairman Mao showed up in my front yard, and demanded my guns?

Buckshot shampoo.

Now, with that being said...

My military oath was to "support and defend" the U.S. Constitution, from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

The greatest enemies that we have now, sadly, are enemies within.

Edit to add... I have two very well trained Belgian Malinois... they save me ammo with their teeth

edit on 21-5-2016 by madmac5150 because: Don't mess with a Belgian

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The 2nd Amendment would not stop the takeover by authoritarians. This is what I think a lot of people fail to realize.

The 2nd Amendment will not stop the takeover by authoritarians. Who exactly do you think authoritarians are? Authoritarians can be you, me or any of us. Authoritarian takeovers aren't external takeovers. In fact, they most often are perpetrated by supporters of populist movements who are convinced that what they are doing, they do out of necessity and for the good of themselves, their families, their friends and neighbors and their countries.

Are you familiar with the below quote?

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun"

Do you know who said it and in what context? It was Mao Zedong and the context was reinforce in the minds of the party loyalists that armed conflict was unavoidable if they were to seize political power.

There's a popular myth about authoritarians dictators that they "disarm" the people and then take power. This isn't how things work. In fact, in many cases, authoritarian regimes have in fact relied entirely on armed civilians to seize power from the former government. In other times, they have come to power through popular vote or through thing like military coups (which also have popular support).

These men more often than not come to power to the cheers of the masses. They're typically viewed initially as revolutionary freedom fighters, patriots and even saviors. You name for me one authoritarian takeover attempt that was ever stopped by an armed citizenry or one successful authoritarian takeover that could have been stopped if citizens had been armed.

You should have waited to do the thread you envisioned Anti. Here clearly in this reply, you get more to the meat of the matter, yet, now, it is tucked off on page two, rather than up front giving a broader sense of these authoritarian concerns.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Uh huh but your spouting off the birther garbage about Obama not being Obama.

Why wait until 2018 why not now? Also what about the nukes? You know those giant bombs America has which would pretty much prevent an invasion.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

My military oath was to "support and defend" the U.S. Constitution, from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

And sadly enough, this sounds like one who would be willing to turn his guns on fellow citizens at the behest of an authoritarian.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Why nuke territory that you intend to occupy?

Nukes will not be a first response, they will be a last resort. Even an EMP will destroy the infrastructure to the extent that any occupying force will have to rebuild the basics. Not a good plan.

Nope, the invasion will be conventional at first.

I have studied Russian and Chinese strategies. IT IS COMING.

The Chinese will hit the U.S. SW coast, the Russians will hit Alaska.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

And sadly enough, this sounds like one who would be willing to turn his guns on fellow citizens at the behest of an authoritarian.

Nope... I took my oath... I understand what it means. I would rather perish, than let this Republic fall.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I can tell you exactly when you will know something like that is going to happen. It will in fact be announced to everyone too. Something like what you describe will begin if and when Trump is president and he makes an announcement to everyone in the nation, "To help him make America Great again." Or something along those lines.

If he addresses the populace with a message of "Help me, Help you. Together we'll all Make America great. That is the moment when everyone needs to watch the f*ck out. Because that is when citizens start taking sides and killing or capturing anyone who they "think" is the problem.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I'm not saying they would nuke the United states I'm saying that the minute they began moving their military the USA would launch their nuclear arsenal.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

It's more likely that China will simply already own enough of America that they won't even need to attack us. They'll just collect what they're already owed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join