It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC: 157 Pregnant Women In The U.S. Have Tested Positive for Zika

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The Centers for Disease Control is saying 157 pregnant women are testing positive for Zika.

The also stress on a few are having "complications".

Zika is said to cause birth defects and miscarriages.

Some people think the numbers may be much higher and organizations might be conspiring to keep the numbers low and avoid mass panics.

Other people think a controlled "increase" in the numbers could be part of a big pharma conspiracy to create a "market" for a future vaccine.

And many people think the Zika firestorm is all political.

CDC: 157 Pregnant Women In The U.S. Have Tested Positive for Zika

Over 150 pregnant women in the United States appear to have been infected with Zika virus. That's in addition to more than 120 women affected by Zika in U.S. territories, mainly Puerto Rico.

Those are the latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, which has been keeping track of all pregnant women in the U. S. and its territories who have lab tests suggestive of Zika virus infections.

Real ? or Controlled ?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Crap, I just posted a thread, too...your's was first though.

I think it's political and real.

But I do wonder if Zika will be politicized because it exists OR if it exists for the purpose of politicizing.

edit on 20-5-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It's real. Just returned from the Keys - and later Ft Lauderdale - and saw for myself the 'mosquito management' teams spraying. I didn't see any spraying this past weekend (4 days ago) in Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, but it's a legit thing in the Keys. For real-real, not for play-play.

Politicized? What in the world can't be pandered to or politicized?? Someone will find a way to make it count in November. Book it. But it's real. No doubt.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Getting political in some ways ....

A biotech mosquito is kicking up a political storm in the Florida Keys.

Oxitec Ltd. , a British maker of genetically modified insects, plans to go door to door in coming weeks to pitch Key Haven, Fla., voters on the virtues of a modified mosquito that the company says can help kill off wild populations known to spread maladies like the Zika virus and dengue fever.

Critics of Oxitec’s proposed field trial are pushing back with yard signs and social-media campaigns, warning that the biotech mosquitoes aren’t needed to curb diseases and could harm local ecosystems.

Florida Town Wary of Fighting Zika With Biotech Mosquito

Biotech $$/complex

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thank-you for this thread. I'll now go look and see what ZIKA is. So many threats these days that I ignore most of them until they show up at the top of ATS.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Just found two interesting pieces on the Zika virus... some may find this interesting ~

Petrochemical Pollution causes Microcephaly: jonrappoport.wordpress.com...

In 1993, Noam Chomsky delivered the Zika secret: jonrappoport.wordpress.com...

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Among the 157 pregnant women from U. S. states and the District of Columbia who are being monitored, only 49 percent reported symptoms consistent with Zika — mostly rash and fever.

Right now, CDC officials say they have no evidence that anyone has gotten Zika from being bitten by a mosquito in the continental United States. But public officials worry that this may eventually occur in places that have seen local transmission of other mosquito-borne disease, such as dengue.

www.npr.org...

They are being monitored because they visited countries where Zika is prevalent.

edit on 5/20/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think this could become a serious threat.

Who has not been bitten by a mosquito? If this becomes prevalent in the mosquito population in North America, as they say it could, this could become a serious epidemic.

They have proven that Zika is also transmittable human to human through fluids.

What happens when most people become affected?

This is eerily reminiscent of "Children of Men". That movie made me wonder what could happen to suddenly cause no more babies to be born? Well, what happens when no more healthy babies are born?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I was reading this reuters article and wonder why the CDC previously only reported women who tested positive and had symptoms. The latest number include all women who tested positive -- whether or not they had symptoms.

In the past, the CDC publicly reported on only those women who had both positive lab tests as well as symptoms. But officials say recent research suggests that women do not necessarily have to have symptoms to have their pregnancies affected. So the CDC is expanding its reporting to include women who didn't have symptoms.

"As the data accumulated about the risk of asymptomatic infections, it seemed more and more important to be very transparent and share publicly the numbers, the full number of pregnant women at risk of adverse outcomes associated with Zika," said Honein in a press briefing Friday.

Among the 157 pregnant women from U. S. states and the District of Columbia who are being monitored, only 49 percent reported symptoms consistent with Zika — mostly rash and fever.

Link

Can anyone help me understand why they didn't just report everyone who tested positive to begin with?

Feels like information is being 'controlled' to me, but maybe there was a good reason to exclude the asymptomatic cases....

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Is it just pregnant females at risk to Zika or is everyone?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Tin Foil Hat = ON: I think this might be another try and reducing the useful and breeding population.
Tin Foil Hat = OFF: This might be a result of idjuts in "health care" underestimating the veracity of a pathogen and dismissing it as another bird flu or something.

Either way it is either sinister in a new and F'd up way or stupid in a new and F'd up way.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
Is it just pregnant females at risk to Zika or is everyone?

There's also an increased risk for guillain-barré with Zika. But many people don't even have any symptoms. If they do, they are usually mild.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Anyone who gets infected might get ill. Symptoms vary from mild to serious, usually more serious in those with underlying conditions. Mild symptoms are fever, aches, rash...

The issue is that pregnant women are in serious danger. It causes the birth defect microcephaly - small brain, and can cause miscarriages.
edit on 5/20/16 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: jhn7537

Anyone who gets infected. Symptoms vary from mild to serious, usually more serious in those with underlying conditions. Mild symptoms are fever, aches, rash...

The issue is that pregnant women are in serious danger. It causes the birth defect microcephaly - small brain, and can cause miscarriages.

It's not hard to fearmonger pregnant women. With my last baby, I thought I had been exposed to Fifth Disease (which is also only really dangerous for a developing fetus). Until my test came back that I was immune (from having it already as a kid) I was in a slight freak-out mode.

If I was pregnant I'd probably be very concerned about the number of- and outcomes of these pregnancies.

I would also wonder how many non-pregnant people, in the U.S., that have tested positive and were asymptomatic that the CDC has also NOT reported on. It's a very short matter of time before we start to see cases contracted from mosquitos in the U.S.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

That's true.

There is new information coming out regularly, as they are still researching the full impact.

It looks ominous, but we have a better idea of the danger as time goes on.

For now, I would do as they are suggesting and not travel to hot spots if you are pregnant or want to become pregnant.

As for me, I am trying to figure out how to keep my daughter-in-law covered up 24/7. LOL? Or at least strongly recommending that they be very careful, and don't go to their favorite tropical vacation spot. And they are not even actively trying. I just keep hoping.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Right now, CDC officials say they have no evidence that anyone has gotten Zika from being bitten by a mosquito in the continental United States. But public officials worry that this may eventually occur in places that have seen local transmission of other mosquito-borne disease, such as dengue.

www.npr.org...

They are being monitored because they visited countries where Zika is prevalent.

Regardless of where they contracted Zika, it will soon be caught from mosquitos in the U.S., too.

Also, I think there has been one reported case of transmission through semen, in the U.S.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

And... I read someplace that when people travel and come back to the US infected, mosquitoes here may bite them, and thus continue the transmission here.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Right...my sister and her family go to Haiti each year to donate dental care. Last year, three of them came back with chikengunya. I just know they will bring Zika back this year -- they go in July.

It won't keep me from visiting them, but I won't trust the mosquitos in their yard!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Looking at this situation makes me pause. It doesn't make sense.

First Zika is not new. There have been no reported severe outbreaks recorded since they first found it in 1947. The small outbreaks that have occurred, have been in tiny villages with poor sanitation and little protection from mosquitoes.

2. Mosquitoes don't live that long and only the females bite. The females don't usually get the opportunity for a second blood meal, so that reduces the chance of spreading this rare disease even further,

The real reason for this bull is probably more related to the quest for more mandatory vaccines than any real danger, but we are so darn gullible that we jump off the darn cliff every time they say "Boo!".

3. Zika is mostly dangerous to pregnant women, so they say. Almost anyone else affected only experience very mild symptoms. They "suspect" the virus can cause microcephaly in the unborn child of a pregnant woman. It has not been proven.

Don't we have enough real things in this world to be concerned about without having to constantly go looking for the boogie man?

I am more concerned about the people pushing this disease than I am of the virus.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

The small outbreaks that have occurred, have been in tiny villages with poor sanitation and little protection from mosquitoes.

The first documented outbreak of Zika virus in the South Pacific occurred on Yap Island in the Federated States of Micronesia in 2007. (1) This outbreak affected 180 (confirmed, probable and suspected) people and was characterized by rash, conjunctivitis and joint pain.

In October 2013, French Polynesia reported its first outbreak, which was estimated to affect around 11% of the population.

www.wpro.who.int...

Mosquitoes don't live that long and only the females bite. The females don't usually get the opportunity for a second blood meal, so that reduces the chance of spreading this rare disease even further,
You mean like with malaria and dengue?

Zika is mostly dangerous to pregnant women, so they say. Almost anyone else affected only experience very mild symptoms. They "suspect" the virus can cause microcephaly in the unborn child of a pregnant woman. It has not been proven.
Research is moving along.
www.sciencemag.org...

I am more concerned about the people pushing this disease than I am of the virus.
Like ebola?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join