It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive wildfire in Fort McMurray destroys buildings Largest Evacuation.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
It was difficult to find the information at first, and I did search many sites with nothing more than cursory stories, but nothing pertaining to the source or cause of the fire. I can give you this bit of info though.....
www.ctvnews.ca...

It has been my question from the onset as well. Chances are that it was human caused and we will find that out eventually. It could be as simple as someone tossing a lit cigarette butt out of a moving vehicle. The conditions there are prime for fires at the moment.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Stories from being on the road out of Fort Mac

Albertans are kind and caring, always ready to provide necessities in times of danger. I've lived in the West for a time in my life and have seen such instances first-hand.

Proud to be a Canadian today.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Things are far from "Over"
Anzac was one of the refugee sites and Lake Gregoire is where the super tanker is flying out of with water drops. 900 more people evacuated, for a second time.

This blog is live with updates.

www.cbc.ca...

2 HOURS AGOAvatar CBC News
Here's what we know to start the day:
The Fort McMurray wildfire is on the move, forcing some people to flee for the second time.
Anzac, Gregoire Lake Estates and Fort McMurray First Nation were all evacuated late yesterday.
Temperatures are expected to be cooler today (around 20 C), but there are concerns about the winds, which could gust to 50 km/h.

Current map from Nasa

scroll down for the interactive map showing the fires movement.
globalnews.ca...
edit on 5-5-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

A fiery scene over Gregoire Lake as flames and smoke from a wildfire hang over Fort McMurray on Wednesday, May 4, 2016.

They said buses were being brought in to help and that Mounties were going door-to-door to make sure everyone leaves.
The evacuation is scheduled for 11 p.m with buses departing at midnight.
Displaced Fort McMurray residents had taken refuge at the Anzac Recreation Centre, about 50 kilometres south of Fort McMurray.
Watch below: It’s one of the places where displaced residents of Fort McMurray were told to go to stay safe. But as the fire changes and grows rapidly, people are now being asked to leave an evacuation centre in Anzac to get to safety. Fletcher Kent reports.

globalnews.ca... aign=2014
edit on 5-5-2016 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Critical information for evacuees

I'm certain a good segment of those 88,000 individuals have handheld internet devices. It's good to know what's happening and where to go.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
More resources for People displaced.

Fort McMurray evacuees: A list of resources available across Alberta
This list is frequently updated with the latest in relief efforts for evacuees and their families

www.cbc.ca...

Airbnb

The rental accommodations app and website is waiving all service fees and letting hosts list their homes for free. It has also launched a disaster response page to help people connect with others offering places to stay.

Medical help

Pharmasave

This pharmacy's Garneau location will pull medical records to renew medication prescriptions or get in touch with doctors of Fort McMurray evacuees. Contact them here.
Ronald McDonald House Charities
The Ronald McDonald House in Edmonton is offering accommodations to Fort McMurray families arriving with children with medical needs.

Pet care

Edmonton Humane Society

EHS is prepared to accept displaced animals without owners. The society is also prepared to perform a rescue operation for animals left behind in Fort McMurray during the evacuation.
Visit this webpage for more information and to donate.
Westlock Veterinary Centre
The Westlock Veterinary Centre is opening its kennels for anyone from Fort McMurray with a dog or cat needing food and board. It has room for dogs of all sizes and outdoor areas to exercise animals. Contact information can be found on the website.

Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society

Fort McMurray residents who were forced to leave animals behind or who need temporary care for their animals can fill out this Animal Assistance Request form, generated by the Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society.

Champion Pet Food

The store is offering free pet food on Wednesday and Thursday for evacuees at their Edmonton store at 11403 186 Street.

Wildlife Rehabilitation Society of Edmonton

WRSE is accepting up to 12 medium to large-sized dogs at their wildlife hospital in Edmonton. Dogs must be in good health with no ongoing medical issues. Contact them for more information.

Pet care

Edmonton Humane Society

EHS is prepared to accept displaced animals without owners. The society is also prepared to perform a rescue operation for animals left behind in Fort McMurray during the evacuation.

Visit this webpage for more information and to donate.

Westlock Veterinary Centre

The Westlock Veterinary Centre is opening its kennels for anyone from Fort McMurray with a dog or cat needing food and board. It has room for dogs of all sizes and outdoor areas to exercise animals. Contact information can be found on the website.

Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society

Fort McMurray residents who were forced to leave animals behind or who need temporary care for their animals can fill out this Animal Assistance Request form, generated by the Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society.

Champion Pet Food

The store is offering free pet food on Wednesday and Thursday for evacuees at their Edmonton store at 11403 186 Street.

Wildlife Rehabilitation Society of Edmonton

WRSE is accepting up to 12 medium to large-sized dogs at their wildlife hospital in Edmonton. Dogs must be in good health with no ongoing medical issues. Contact them for more information.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Fort McMurray fire could cost insurers $9B, BMO predicts

The damage costs from the fire ripping through Fort McMurray, Alta., could reach $9 billion for insurers if it gets to the point that the town has to be rebuilt, an analyst at Bank of Montreal said Thursday. Emergency personnel are still battling the wildfire that has essentially wiped out several sections of the city while leaving others virtually intact, so the full economic cost of the tragedy is hard to calculate.

Source

The latest from the Alberta government:
A provincially declared state of emergency for the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is in effect.
Fire conditions remain extreme, with 18 new starts yesterday. A total of 49 wildfires are burning, with seven considered out of control, 12 being held, 23 under control, and seven turned over to the responsible parties.
Cooler temperatures of 16 C are predicted, but lower humidity and winds at 25 kilometres, gusting to 40 kilometres per hour, make weather a significant factor.
More than 1,110 firefighters, 145 helicopters, 138 pieces of heavy equipment and 22 air tankers are fighting the fires.
Mandatory evacuation orders are in place for Fort McMurray, Anzac, Gregoire Lake Estates, Fort McMurray First Nation and Mackenzie County near High Level. Residents of evacuated areas should not attempt to return home.
Emergency gas and diesel are temporarily available along Highway 63.
Albertans can call 310-4455 for information and stay up to date on the Alberta Emergency Alert and Alberta Wildfire app.

Source

The Fort McMurray wildfire is now 85,000 hectares or 210,000 acer in size. Grew rapidly late Wednesday becuase of 70km/hr winds.
Sad to hear over 1,600 structures lost so far but thankfully no human lives lost.

edit on 5-5-2016 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In a new twist on this story, it seems Syrian refugees are stepping up in helping the evacuees as well.

They know what it feels like.

calgaryherald.com...

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Air Canada has raised their prices from Fort McMurray to Edmonton prior to the wild fires in Alberta.
Is this true ?
globalnews.ca...
edit on 5-5-2016 by SSimon because: what !

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SSimon

People snatched up the low cost fares and the only fares left were pretty much business class, accounting for the high prices.

Flying in Canada, especially last minute, definitely isn't cheap. Air Canada gave refunds to a lot of those who were affected by the fires.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This is probably not what people are worried about at the moment but it speaks to the level of caring of fellow Albertans.

www.albertaanimalhealthsource.ca...

Alberta Veterinary Practices Offering Assistance to Fort McMurray Evacuees
Attention Fort McMurray Evacuees en route...

The following veterinary clinics between Fort McMurray and Edmonton have capacity for medical care and boarding if you are in need.

Clinics En Route to Edmonton from Fort McMurray
The following veterinary clinics between Fort McMurray and Edmonton have capacity for medical care and boarding if you are in need.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: lurksoften

Same thing happened to my hometown of Slave Lake Alberta, I heard people from ft. Mac might be coming here in Calgary to stay so I gotta go volunteer where I can, I hope others do too.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Today, a convoy of 400 vehicles will attempt to travel from the Oil Patch camps a half hour north of Fort Mac (they're running out of supplies) to relief locations south of Fort Mac.

They will be running a gauntlet of fires alone the way.

A helicopter will be scanning trouble spots and emergency vehicles and police will take part as well.

I'll be watching to see how things unfold and wish these people safe passage.

edition.cnn.com...
www.cbc.ca...
edit on 6/5/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
www.cbc.ca...

The CBC link has live video as the massive convoy prepares to leave.

www.cbc.ca...://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/e dmonton/fort-mcmurray-convoys-begin-as-evacuees-roll-through-fire-ravaged-city-1.3569517

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The convoy is going through in batches with a heavy presence of RCMP and emergency vehicles.

There are now a total of 1,500 vehicles involved.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

I am so sorry to hear this. Watched the footage yesterday. God, I hope this is resolved TODAY.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

The area of the fire grew again last night and the weather is forecasting another warm dry day... so that is not good.

On the positive side, the fire is expanding eastward and away from areas south, which is where the convoy is headed. What would be really serious is a wind blowing out of the south because that would take it closer to the oil sands infrastructure.

Hopefully, that won't happen before rains can come and bring much needed relief.

The live feed has been suspended for now. I imagine they're getting ready to move as well.
edit on 6/5/16 by masqua because: spelling

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I thought my radio was reporting that the fire was likely human caused because the point of origin was close to a town and the intersection of roads. The implication to me is that someone chucked a cigarette out a window or something.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That was my first thought as well. A cigarette or even a hot muffler can start a fire like this. Chances are fairly good for a human cause.

ETA: Live feed is back

www.cbc.ca...

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

What would be really serious is a wind blowing out of the south because that would take it to the oil sands infrastructure.

No no no.

California might need to send their planes to do whatever they do. They've had decades of practice.

Yes, RAIN.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It has been said that this wildfire is so strong that air tankers dropping water and retardant is like spitting on a roaring campfire.

Only heavy, soaking rain is going to slow this unfortunately. I've also heard that this fire has multiple 'heads'.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join