It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Justice Warriors.... Blind Eyes.... Preferred causes....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
To start things out.... I'd like to point everyone to this thread, specifically addressing rudeness, hate, et al.

*** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics

This was posted by ToTheTenthPower, a Super Moderator, almost a year ago. Please read before moving forward....

Before I get started, I'd like to state a few things. First of all, I do not go around whinging about this. I've posted on this topic here before, but simply because I am looking for the same equality others expect. I also thoroughly detest the duplicity in the idea that one social wrong is the currently bad thing which everyone must socially change for, but other true issues? Nope.

These are the sacred cows.

Just earlier, in a thread about "white male guilt", I was told in essence to get over it and accept that not only am I delusional in feeling that it is a real and palpable thing, but also that by stating I felt this was a real issue that I myself must be some sort of bigot.....who is simply looking to take steam away from what is considered to be a "legitimate" cause/concern/injustice du jour.

Take a look at the photo below.

This is currently playing on cable. Does the dark haired girl in the movie ad look fat? Overtly ugly?

Hardly.

Where is the outcry? Where are the ranting feminists, claiming she's beautiful....and nothing close to being fat. But, in the movie, she is compared to her "friends"....

So, it's ok to slam fat people. It's ok to degrade people who aren't perfect. Particularly in comparison to the beautiful friends she has.

If you're going to be the martyr...stick your cross up on the lawn and crucify yourself to show what a wonderful person you are...

Well, being a wonderful person doesn't mean picking and choosing. It means, being wonderful and a good human being to everyone.

Open up the closets. Shine the light on your sacred cows.

edit on 30-4-2016 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

So you want to hide behind the people that are so horrible umpteen threads a day are created about them? You want them to attack something that offends you, for you?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Is that Mr. Chow on the left?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

So you want to hide behind the people that are so horrible umpteen threads a day are created about them? You want them to attack something that offends you, for you?

You're making no sense.

At a bare minimum, you might want to work on your reading comprehension skills.

Or address the idea that you twist things to suit yourself.

Next time, come with something to actually contribute.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

You're clearly offended by the premise.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

While I'm not even sure what you're talking about....

I will say that now I'm offended by you.

But, that's nothing new, given our previous encounters.

Rock on "Social Justice Warrior", rock on.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

SJWs are self righteous hypocrites. I think you missed the point.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

It's okay it's mutual. If you're not offended by the movie you might want to rephrase your whole OP. While I get that you're trying to say SJW's are selective in their causes... this particular movie triggered you.

So, it's ok to slam fat people. It's ok to degrade people who aren't perfect. Particularly in comparison to the beautiful friends she has.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It's not ok to slam fat people or really to degrade anyone. I'm not sure entirely what the point is you were trying to make though...can you expand on it a bit?

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Didn't know who that was but no lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Wtf is duff?

I only know of muff www.urbandictionary.com...

Is this what people watch . I thought ats members were a little more culturally high brow
edit on 30-4-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Didn't know who that was but no lol.

I just checked, it actually is the guy who plays Leslie Chow from The Hangover.

Forget the non-fat, fat girl, he has one of the most culturally offensive (and hysterical) roles in recent memory.

He tastes like sh!take.

edit on 30-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think you have a great topic with a very poor example to rant on about. Who even watches teeny-bopper movies? The thing tanked as soon as it was released. And guess what? The theme of the movie is that the "Duff" in this case turns the tables on her snotty friends. it's all about exactly what you are ranting about. It takes your side, but perhaps you can only know that if you actually sat through the movie--or at least read the reviews.

The topic itself is a good one. IMO SJW's are not really happy or fulfilled unless they're calling someone else a racist. They don't really think too deeply about their subjects. And I'd go easy on lashing out at people who respond to your thread. You're acting very much like an SJW yourself. You ought to be facilitating the discussion rather than stifling it.
edit on 4/30/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh that Mr. Chow!

When I googled I got a famous Beverly Hills Chinese restaurant.

I'm tired, don't judge

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
In fact I'm going to take a nap... I hope all this victim hood and hating every one different than yourself gets healed really soon.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Have you seen this movie? It has a message.

The message of the movie:

At the dance, Bianca tells off Madison—saying, essentially, that we are all DUFFs who should be true to our own identities. Madison is crowned homecoming queen, and Wes is crowned king, but he rejects Madison and the title, and kisses Bianca in front of the whole school. In the end, her article about homecoming is a hit with the students and Bianca is going to attend Northwestern University while Wesley goes to Ohio State, still together.

en.wikipedia.org...

The DUFF (Bianca) is in fact a smart, funny, beautiful girl - and she got the boy in the end because he understands just how great she really is. The "mean" girls who considered her the DUFF are the losers in the end and she wins everything.

Now, tell me how I am supposed to be enraged about that as a feminist. I LOVE the message of this movie.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Designated Ugly Fat Friend.

It might be hard to see but it's printed in small text inside the DUFF letters on the image.

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafidesPretty hypocritical to point out the ATS terms prior to your idiotic diatribe and the first response you give is an insult

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am still trying to figure out why the "DUFF" character is considered fat...

posted on Apr, 30 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I take it you're still upset about the fat shaming thread from last week.

There's two things you can do about that...

Ignore it, or whine.

I suppose you could become an SJW for larger people...
But then your head might explode.

<<   2 >>

join