It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Africans Rise in the Thousands Against US Agro-chem Giant Monsanto

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
By Katherine Frisk on April 20, 2016

March Against Monsanto Everywhere

www.veteranstoday.com...

On the 25th of May 2013, the first World Wide March Against Monsanto took place.

It was started by Tami Canal out of sheer frustration and desperation due to the failure of a California ballot to get food products labelled that are made from genetically modified seeds sprayed with a highly toxic and poisonous herbicide containing glyphosate called Roundup.
. . .
The full implications and dangers of the patenting of food sources and ultimately food security being taken out of the hands of the world’s farmers and put into the hands of a small group of corporations has not entered the consciousness of mall rats, many of whom seem to think that what they eat is in the same category as the latest cell phone and comes off a 3D printing production line.

Farmers today can be sued for producing their own seed and posing a threat to the hegemonic GMO corporate seed giants. Many organic farmers whose crops have been infested by GMO from a neighbouring farm have been sued for producing GMO that they had never planted in the first place.

One of the few countries who took early action was Hungary who ripped up all their fields and burnt GMO out of their country. A radical step, but now their food products are totally GMO free.

. . .
SOUTH AFRICA – On 21 May 2016, South Africans will once again unite, in numerous cities throughout the country, to protest Monsanto’s aggressive attempts to force genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, and their chemical Herbicides, onto South African consumers and farmers.
. . .

= = = =

My further notes:

--FDA complicit in favoring corporations over health of citizens.
--No question--imho--that Glyphosate is a carcinogen and cause of birth defects

--Hungary did the wise, honorable and health supporting thing of burning such fields and totally eradicating such 'carp' from within their borders.

--The GMO monster operates in 80 countries, including 9 African countries.
--86% of corn hectares; 100% of cotton etc. are GMO

--The suggestion to 'demand a food system that is just and equitable' . . . sounds like a worthy one, to me.
--also the demand of the right to traditional, natural medicines free from patents.

= = =

I'm glad to see citizens standing up for their rights and for health.

The birth defects alone of such hideousness are outrageous.

Though, I realize it is merely a natural consequence of the philosophical position that man is 'noting more than a rat, a pigeon, a radish or a rock' . . . to paraphrase B.F. Skinner in BEYOND FREEDOM AND DIGNITY.

When the serfs and slaves have been reduced to annoying objects instead of persons created in the image of God, then it becomes quite acceptably utilitarian to treat them all as exceedingly expendable. . . . besides . . . they plan to clone what they need; breed them like rabbits; house them in rabbit like Soviet style apartment complexes . . . and drug them 'til they feel happy in their chains.

May God have mercy on us all.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
and the US gave them freedom from prosecution

shame

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

This is great to see.

Once the rest of the world throws these Monsanto a-holes out maybe the people of the U.S. will finally get some sense and do the same. Good for the S. African people.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
and the US gave them freedom from prosecution

shame

Just wait until the TPPA kicks into full gear! That will give Corporations and Foreign Investors permission to sue governments ie taxpayers!!! I certainly see this as great news for the people of Africa, however I am wondering what legal ramifications Corporations like Monsanto will be able to bank on and further enslave countries who dare to oppose their pyramid scheme when these new trade agreements become law.

edit on 24-4-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-4-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It's the price to pay for having so many billions of people to feed. Without enough food there will be Wars, that is an historical certainty.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Did you ever think you'd live to see the day when

evil doers at the top operated with such rotten determination to destroy their whole house/country and everyone in it?

What suicidal madness rules the halls of power these days.

Oh, I realize that they think they'll be cozy in their plush deep underground cities.

They won't. God is well able to crash all such and squeeze them to the thinnest layers of bloody mush. I'm reminded of the HANDWRITING ON THE WALL--the original case--where the King who was celebrating was supernaturally informed that his kingdom would end--which it did--that night.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

There are sane and effective ways to raise plenty of food for several times the world's population.

The PTB have been preventing such and sabotaging such for decades.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Sounds good.
Now if they would just stop slaughtering the farmers and their families in South Africa.
One way or another there will be food shortages coming their way.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Glyphosate may be a carcinogen to those that use and handle it every day.

The IARC review notes that there is limited evidence for a link to cancer in humans. Although several studies have shown that people who work with the herbicide seem to be at increased risk of a cancer type called non-Hodgkin lymphoma, the report notes that a separate huge US study, the Agricultural Health Study, found no link to non-Hodgkin lymphomas. That study followed thousands of farmers and looked at whether they had increased risk of cancer.

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

No they didn't

www.npr.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

INDEED.

Myopic, ill-informed, ignorant, fierce hatred fueled violence doesn't end up well for anyone.

What a beleaguered people. Sigh.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I like Scientific American . . . mostly.

However . . . I'm not sure that the parameters of that study were sufficiently broad or longitudinal enough.

There are kids nearby playing on a vacant lot sprayed with the stuff. I grieve for the likelihood of birth defects in their children--should they live that long--which--given all the givens--appears highly unlikely.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

INDEED.

Myopic, ill-informed, ignorant, fierce hatred fueled violence doesn't end up well for anyone.

What a beleaguered people. Sigh.

So those protesters then...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

There's no however.

That study is the one that people are (wrongly) saying that glyphosate is carcinogenic, you can't then say, after being corrected, that it's not good enough...

And why is it monsanto's fault that kids might be getting sprayed by someone spraying on a vacant parking lot? Is it a gun manufacturers fault when one of their guns I used to kill someone?

The problems arising from using glyphosate, is from misuse and mismanagement.

While you and no doubt those thousands of protesters are spouting wrong information, you'll never get taken seriously

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

The stuff is found in BREAST MILK!

You REALLY think that's NOT a problem?

It's pervasive in ground aquifers that millions of people get their drinking water from.

You REALLY think that's NOT a problem?

Would you be thrilled to find that your wife's breast was giving your new born son the junk every feeding?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

It's the price to pay for having so many billions of people to feed. Without enough food there will be Wars, that is an historical certainty.

More about whether small farms diversity and self reliance can continue in the face of willful, concerted efforts to monopolize world food production, making more people more dependent on mega corporations instead of their own self reliance.

Espcially when it comes to food production. Was it Kissinger said something like , "control the food supply and you control the planet?".

meta bunk

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Monsanto will strike back. Hungary and South Africa better watch its back.

India too.

I always wondered why all of a sudden India was getting such bad publicity about rapes as if they were the only country that rape occurred.
Oh…I think at the time India was finally standing up to Monsanto.

Monsanto doesn’t have to worry about the US, most of the politicians are very well bribed so they’ll never be a threat to them.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Yes food prices here have risen tremendously since 1994,i mean even basic things like potatoes. With the thousands of farmers murdered,one really feels it in the fresh produce section. But then,Everything in my country Has to be a complete rip-off,it's like it's a draconian national law.And when i see how much produce is imported these days..we used to be the breadbasket of Southern Africa,and exported vast amounts of top-quality food too,to Europe and other parts of the world,with more than enough left for the population at reasonable prices. Those days are long gone,though,and won't return. South Africans who live comfortably now,do so by living on credit cards and store accounts.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

And again.

Stop blindly believing what you get told and do a little bit more research beyond what confirms your biases..

academicsreview.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
You wonder about how they set up this ”democracy” of so many divisions and ideas with the intent to: allow freedom or make for it impossible to unite people behind the machinations of a certain clique of people upon high offices,

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Ephesians 6:12

We're wrestling and getting our asses kicked and pinned to the ground because we can't unite

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join